Can someone tell me if the signs here are ASL?

sansalmom

Reaction score
I want my son to learn ASL (he is HOH). Can someone tell me, please, if the people signing in this video are signing ASL? At the school, they told me they use ASL with Spanish grammar, but I don't understand that statement.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHVdrg_dEAk&feature=related]YouTube - El Salvador- Escuela Cristiana para Sordos[/ame]

I want my son to learn ASL (he is HOH). Can someone tell me, please, if the people signing in this video are signing ASL? At the school, they told me they use ASL with Spanish grammar, but I don't understand that statement.

YouTube - El Salvador- Escuela Cristiana para Sordos

Yep, mostly ASL with what it seems local signs.

ASL is not English. It is its own language.

Most of the sign languages came from France. France, Spanish, Hebrew all shared one thing; latin background.

So ASL shares very similar grammar structure with Spanish, with English almost perfectly backwards.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! We started ASL classes there today, so our ASL might be a bit different from ASL in the U.S., but I hope it will be understandable! :ty:

Ok....it is interesting. I think the woman in the white outfit is not signing with ASL grammar...however, a lot of hearing teachers or deaf teachers who didnt grow up with ASL usually do not use the correct ASL grammatical rules so maybe it is the case with that woman.

The children, on the other hand, look like they are "speaking" in ASL as well as one of the teachers who was teaching a classroom lesson.

Overall, it looks like there is Spanish, English, and ASL all mixed in together.

What's important is that the kids are acquiring language at the appropriate development pace, can achieve abstract thinking skills,a nd much more. Too often, I see children who didnt have full access to languague (oral or programs with poor models of signed languages) who struggle with critical thinking skills so they end up stuck with concrete level of thinking.

It's so interesting. I have never seen like this. It seems to me that it is working for ASL with spanish grammar for them to sign to communicate and understand the concept of thinking. ASL is useful.

In the video, they are signing a modified ASL, speaking in Spanish, and captioning in English.

Back