Can MPD exists?

thewinterknight

Reaction score
My new debate of the week is "Can Multiple Personality Disorder exists?"

My thoughts is that it actually can occur but there are evidence disproving it and also neurologists don't exactly really ACCEPT it as a true mental illness.

But some people do defend it.

If you want to know more please go here

or here

I'm curious to ya'll opinions on a serious mental disease.

thewinterknight said:
My new debate of the week is "Can Multiple Personality Disorder exists?"

My thoughts is that it actually can occur but there are evidence disproving it and also neurologists don't exactly really ACCEPT it as a true mental illness.

But some people do defend it.

If you want to know more please go here

or here

I'm curious to ya'll opinions on a serious mental disease.

I think MPD is no longer used for the medical term.

now it is called - Dissociative Identity Disorder

Yes, it can exist.
I know this because I actually have it.

Can it be faked? To some degree it can.
Do some people fake it to get out of trouble? Of course they do, but never convincingly imho.

I was finally diagnosed back in 1992 (when it was still called MPD). Life was horribly unpredictable until I was correctly diagnosed. Most people don't really understand what Dissociative Identity Disorder really is. There is a lot of misinformation floating around in the general public.

FWIW, I joined this forum because I am deaf, as are three other people that share this body. The rest of the people in this body can hear. The neurologists and audiologists can't figure out how it's possible. Personally, I really don't care. The reason why we are deaf makes perfect sense to me. I don't know how the others can possibly hear.

13NRcrew said:
Yes, it can exist.

Do some people fake it to get out of trouble? Of course they do, but never convincingly imho.

I was finally diagnosed back in 1992 (when it was still called MPD). Life was horribly unpredictable until I was correctly diagnosed. Most people don't really understand what Dissociative Identity Disorder really is. There is a lot of misinformation floating around in the general public.

FWIW, I joined this forum because I am deaf, as are three other people that share this body. The rest of the people in this body can hear. The neurologists and audiologists can't figure out how it's possible. Personally, I really don't care. The reason why we are deaf makes perfect sense to me. I don't know how the others can possibly hear.

Wow, that's a brave post you posted there. I applaud you.

So you're deaf but the other three people can hear, I mean are they capable of carrying on a conservation?

Have you heard about a true story of a woman who possessed 16 separated personalities ? Her name was Sybil Isabel Dorsett ( that wasn't her real name to protect her identity ).

Her real name was Shirley Ardell Mason. She died from breast cancer in 1998 at the age of 75.

CyberRed said:
Have you heard about a true story of a woman who possessed 16 separated personalities ? Her name was Sybil Isabel Dorsett ( that wasn't her real name to protect her identity ).

Her real name was Shirley Ardell Mason. She died from breast cancer in 1998 at the age of 75.

There is a movie about her, but unfortunately it's not captioned or subtitled.

There is an old movie about MPD way before it was labelled. I think the name is "Three faces of Eve" or "All about Eve" with Bette Davis in it. :)

13NRcrew said:
Yes, it can exist.

First of all, welcome to AllDeaf, 13NRcrew :)

yes, MPD/DID do exist. I have 2 friends with DID. Since they feel comfortable around me, they let the other personalties come out in front of me. I also work in a State Psychiatric Hospital and I've seen plenty.

About being deaf with several 'hearing' personalities, I've heard about it before from my ex-boss who is a Neurolinguist. I find her research very fascinating.

sillycat said:
There is an old movie about MPD way before it was labelled. I think the name is "Three faces of Eve" or "All about Eve" with Bette Davis in it. :)

It's "Three Faces of Eve" but I have not seen the movie yet. I think it is an old movie (not sure) and I doubt it is captioned or subtitled.

thewinterknight said:
Wow, that's a brave post you posted there. I applaud you.

So you're deaf but the other three people can hear, I mean are they capable of carrying on a conservation?
Actually, what I meant to say was that 4 of us are deaf - the other 9 can hear.

We are all capable of carrying on a conversation. The 9 that can hear had to learn ASL to communicate better with the 4 of us that are deaf. We have other ways of communicting with each other, but communication with outside people is easier if you know ASL, or they would be like this :Ohno:

Did that answer your question?

Dont mean to be rude but that is a new twist to MPD I haven't heard of before--have both deaf and hearing personalities in one person.

Years ago I went to a christian lecture about demons and possession, etc. I saw a woman stand up in the audience and started talking in different personalities. I dont know if its for real or fake there--the christians believe that MPD really is demon possession. Im not a big believer in demons tho. :D

A psychologist today told me that he doesn't accept MPD, and that "Sybil" was fake. He said that the doctors trained her how to behave, and that they kept her locked up so that she couldn't be questioned. Sounds awful.

This thread should be moved to the general health forum. MODS, please move it to the correct forum. Thank you.

Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly known as MPD) is most definately a valid diagnosis. Although extremely rare, it does occur, and there are numerous documented cases of DID. The case of Sybil is simply the most often talked about in the general public, and the case has been distorted to become entertainment.

If you want to watch a movie portrayal of the disorder, I would suggest "Raising Cain." But keep in mind that this, just like the movie "Sybil" is meant for entertainment and not factual information.

And I agee; this needs to be moved to General Health with our other discussions of MI. Thanks, mods.

Yes, it can exist.

I don't doubt your claims at all. Deaf individuals with schizophrenia have also been documented as experiencing auditory hallucinations.

The psychologist that I know said that when he worked at the local hospital for the mentally ill, the inpatients with MPD went from zero to 200 in just a couple years after "Sybil" came out. It was a very popular disorder.

The psychologist that I know said that when he worked at the local hospital for the mentally ill, the inpatients with MPD went from zero to 200 in just a couple years after "Sybil" came out. It was a very popular disorder.

"Popular" disorder? I doubt the sufferers would agree with that.:roll:

They can also show correlation between a reported suicide in a teen victim, and increased suicide rate in teens. Does that mean that reporting the one suicide led to copy cat suicides? In the vast majority of instances, no. It simply means that we are paying closer attention to the incidence because the report has brought it into our consciousness. Correlations such as this need to be viewed with a very skeptical eye.

And anyone that attempts to fake the syptoms of DID as protrayed by the movie would quickly be ruled out as a malingerer. Why? Because the movie fictionalized much of the symptomology for entertainment purposes.

Back