Can children distinguish early on...

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Beowulf, I'm not following you. I blame it on chemo brain. My cells aren't firing to full capacity.

That's okay. Maybe there ARE Deaf children. No biggie. I sure feel sorry for them, though.

It's amazing how one of these parents want their kids as close to hearing possible and then defend by crying "My kid is Deaf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" lol... fucking hilarious how transparent they are.

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
It's amazing how one of these parents want their kids as close to hearing possible and then defend by crying "My kid is Deaf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" lol... fucking hilarious how transparent they are.

the only people who said that their children currently id as Deaf are YOU, pfh and grendel...so which of you want your child to be "as close to hearing as possible"?

plus, all the parents here sign with their kids, therefore they obviously acknowledge that they are deaf and want to support them learning visual language.

Wirelessly posted

the only people who said that their children currently id as Deaf are YOU, pfh and grendel...so which of you want your child to be "as close to hearing as possible"?

plus, all the parents here sign with their kids, therefore they obviously acknowledge that they are deaf and want to support them learning visual language.

oh now it's me. thanks for the comedy relief.

Now, your kid is not Deaf?

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
Wirelessly posted

oh now it's me. thanks for the comedy relief.

Now, your kid is not Deaf?

i don't know. I'm not sure how she feels about it. I know that she currently prefers to communicate through listening and speaking. (for example, we have interpreters for church but she insists on sitting closer to the speaker and listening rather than using the interpreter) BUT she does love going to Deaf events and spending time with other ASL using kids and adults. (but, often she forgets to sign or works as an interpreter between hearing kids and ASL kids).

so....i don't know.

I answered the OP's question of whether or not children can distinguish being deaf from hearing in this thread saying my child has referred to herself as "Deaf. And Hearing." and has what some here say is an impossibly cultural rather than physiological approach to making the distinction between the two.

Others who are Deaf have said they were aware of themselves as varyingly deaf or Deaf at young ages, some were not aware until later in life.

I had said something similar in another thread, after which PFH claimed that his daughter is Deaf, although he didn't consider himself Deaf until a couple of years ago.

I don't think I've seen any other parents make a statement about whether their children are Deaf vs. deaf. But there are only a small handful of parents of deaf kids active on the board.

Last edited:
There it is again.
You know, guys, I bet this is being set up for future reference. Someone will say he/she is Deaf, and the hearing would scoff and put them in the same category as their children. :hmm:

Easily detected.:cool2:

Wirelessly posted

except that children who are being raised Deaf would have parents who are comfortable in the Deaf community and with ASL. How would the kids feel "in the middle"?

You still don't get it. You want to talk like Deaf, but you still think hearing. It shows in all of your posts.

Wirelessly posted

because you don't actually care. All you want is prove others wrong and fight.

Riiiightl.:laugh2:

Fighting never starts till you and one of your little buddies show up.:laugh2: Funny how the Deaf are in agreeement with me, and only the hearing want to fight about what is right and what is not where Deaf is concerned.:lol:

Do I want to correct innacurate and bogus information? Bet your bibby I do. No reason for anyone to buy into fairy stories when the facts are available.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

because you don't actually care. All you want is prove others wrong and fight.

Riiiightl.:laugh2:

Fighting never starts till you and one of your little buddies show up.:laugh2: Funny how the Deaf are in agreeement with me, and only the hearing want to fight about what is right and what is not where Deaf is concerned.:lol:

Do I want to correct innacurate and bogus information? Bet your bibby I do. No reason for anyone to buy into fairy stories when the facts are available.

actually, there are Deaf people who disagree with you. You say that NO child can be Deaf but PFH has clearly stated in the previous thread that his child is Deaf.

Wirelessly posted

actually, there are Deaf people who disagree with you. You say that NO child can be Deaf but PFH has clearly stated in the previous thread that his child is Deaf.

Again, you are not reading completely, nor are you comprehending what you do read.

As soon as you are able to indicate that you have some comprehension of the posts, rather than taking things out of context in an attempt to make some point you have become obsessed with, I''ll discuss it with you.

Back