Can children distinguish early on...

Okay...I think we have all made our points. Ready to go back to the topic? These internal disagreements make some people very happy, and I don't enjoy feeding into that.

But they exist in any society. I don't want to have to be a mindless sheep.

I don't agree with every point a Deaf/deaf person makes.

More than with hearing, but still...

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Yes, I commented on topic above. I just had to hit Beowulf upside the head once. LOL

But they exist in any society. I don't want to have to be a mindless sheep.

I don't agree with every point a Deaf/deaf person makes.

More than with hearing, but still...

Of course they exist in every society and I don't think any of the Deaf here agree with everything another Deaf person states. That we all know and accept.

It is just that there are those on this forum currently that take what is natural and expected and attempt to turn it against the culture as a whole. I absolutely hate that happening.

Yes, I commented on topic above. I just had to hit Beowulf upside the head once. LOL

Yeah, I think he'll carry that mark around for awhile!:giggle: Bet he doesn't use the "s" word anytime soon! And I don't mean SEE.

Of course they exist in every society and I don't think any of the Deaf here agree with everything another Deaf person states. That we all know and accept.

It is just that there are those on this forum currently that take what is natural and expected and attempt to turn it against the culture as a whole. I absolutely hate that happening.

I can argue that side back to them also.

:wave:

No one has commented on my substantive comment yet. I get ignored a lot. Hmmmm...

No one has commented on my substantive comment yet. I get ignored a lot. Hmmmm...

This one? You make so many substantive comments I wasn't sure which one you were referring to.:P

I wonder why some hearing people act like deaf people are rejecting them and joining a club that excludes them. It reflects insecurity. Some hearing people are afraid of deaf people with all their hands moving. I can see it so clearly.

I thought you were talking about yourself since you are late deafened, and I don't want any PMs from mods saying don't pick on the hearing.

Wirelessly posted

sallylou said:

i'm not sure who you are refering to? What hearing people act that way? I'm not sure how you comment relates to children and their Deaf identity, so that is why i didn't respond.

I'm not picking on the hearing. I was hearing. Now, to a certain extent, I'm an outsider in both the hearing world and the Deaf world. I participate in both, but I don't totally exist in either. It's weird. I can observe both worlds objectively. I think that the only way to bridge them is to be honest.

Wirelessly posted

i'm not sure who you are refering to? What hearing people act that way? I'm not sure how you comment relates to children and their Deaf identity, so that is why i didn't respond.

There it is again.
You know, guys, I bet this is being set up for future reference. Someone will say he/she is Deaf, and the hearing would scoff and put them in the same category as their children. :hmm:

Wirelessly posted

Beowulf said:
Wirelessly posted

There it is again.
You know, guys, I bet this is being set up for future reference. Someone will say he/she is Deaf, and the hearing would scoff and put them in the same category as their children. :hmm:

what? She asked why people hadn't responded, so i answered.

It relates to the tension that exists between the two communities. Deaf and HOH children feel the tension, whether we acknowledge it or not. And the kids don't have the skills to fully understand or articulate what they feel. It's sorta like a kid in the middle of a divorce. There's a lot of tension and they don't know what to do. I'd prefer that the hearing and deaf not be like battling spouses, with the communication broken down.

Beowulf, I'm not following you. I blame it on chemo brain. My cells aren't firing to full capacity.

Wirelessly posted

sallylou said:

It relates to the tension that exists between the two communities. Deaf and HOH children feel the tension, whether we acknowledge it or not. And the kids don't have the skills to fully understand or articulate what they feel. It's sorta like a kid in the middle of a divorce. There's a lot of tension and they don't know what to do. I'd prefer that the hearing and deaf not be like battling spouses, with the communication broken down.

except that children who are being raised Deaf would have parents who are comfortable in the Deaf community and with ASL. How would the kids feel "in the middle"?

Back