Calling all grammar and writing nerds!

I'm an Oxford gal...I consider all other styles fraudulent. LOL! I say, yes, use the comma before that conjunction...since no one seems to agree on it...it's best to find out which one your particular professor prefers...just to keep that person happy and your grade higher. Lol

I hope someone else would stand up, admit ignorance so I don't have to, but no luck. I ignorant! There more than one type comma?!?!?!?

With me, it's use depends on the situation and the type of writing I am doing. If it's journalistic writing for a publication, then no.

If I am writing an academic paper, then yes.

A college application would fall under academic writing, so therefore, use the serial comma. BTW- I've never heard of it called the 'Harvard' comma until today. So I learned something new.

Good luck on your college application! :D

A writer friend of mine posted this on her Facebook page today. It comes from a language blog called "SLOG," from a thread titled "Another Argument for the Oxford Comma:"

"This sentence is still my favorite, about a documentary by Peter Ustinov:
... highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector."
----------------------------------------------------------
BWAHAHAHA!!! Love it!!

That's a good one. lol

I'm having trouble breaking the two spaces after a period habit. I'm working on it.

In journalism, it's a no-no. Takes up valuable writing space.

I have been doing two spaces after a period for so long, and it's so automatic, I don't think I'll ever break myself of that habit.

For most fonts that you see on-line, I think two spaces after a period is still more attractive and less eye-straining. It makes it very clear where the end of the sentence is. One space, like that, looks too crowded to me.

:
In journalism, it's a no-no. Takes up valuable writing space.

I have been doing two spaces after a period for so long, and it's so automatic, I don't think I'll ever break myself of that habit.

For most fonts that you see on-line, I think two spaces after a period is still more attractive and less eye-straining. It makes it very clear where the end of the sentence is. One space, like that, looks too crowded to me.

Same here. Out of consideration to others, I refuse to change that habit. :P

BTW, did you notice that double spaces do not show up in replies? Anyone getting eye strain? :squint:

I noticed that after I hit reply! Looks like this site automatically goes to the "one space after a period" rule. Maybe I will have to start typing in 3 spaces!

Edited: eh, didn't work. Even typing in 3 spaces, this software automatically reverts to 1. Whaddyaknow...

I have troubleshooting issues on pretty lots of grammar :P I do best improve English words :)

:

Same here. Out of consideration to others, I refuse to change that habit. :P

BTW, did you notice that double spaces do not show up in replies? Anyone getting eye strain? :squint:

Funny that you say that because I double checked to see if yall do double spaces in posts. No need for eye strain. You can click and drag to see how many spaces there are.

Funny that you say that because I double checked to see if yall do double spaces in posts. No need for eye strain. You can click and drag to see how many spaces there are.

Not only eye strain, but now we're members of chain gangs? :squint:

Kinda OT. But I like the way those in this thread are leaving a blank line between paragraphs. For me it makes thing much easier to read (my age may be a factor as that is what I grew up with — that and the double spaces after the period that ends a sentence).

I'm also using zoom and it's set at 135% now. I'm very nearsighted so it helps.

Oops, I'm late to this party but of course I have an opinion.

For English courses (and pretty much all academic disciplines), ALWAYS use the serial comma. The serial comma is mandatory in all three of the main academic writing styles (APA, MLA, and Chicago). English courses always follow the MLA style guide.

Game, set, and match.

I have troubleshooting issues on pretty lots of grammar :P I do best improve English words :)

Do you know how much better you are at this since three years ago??

You need less troubleshooting everyday! :D

Back