Calif. man forgotten in cell says he drank urine

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockin'robin

Reaction score
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A college student who was forgotten by federal drug agents and left in a holding cell for five days without food, water or access to a toilet says that he drank his own urine to survive.

Daniel Chong also said that he bit into his glasses to break them and tried to use a shard to scratch "Sorry Mom" into his arm, according to a story published Tuesday in U-T San Diego (Man abandoned in DEA cell steps forward | UTSanDiego.com ).

The 24-year-old engineering student at University of California, San Diego, was swept up as one of nine suspects in an April 21 drug raid that netted 18,000 ecstasy pills, other drugs and weapons.

Chong said federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents told him he would be released. One agent even promised to drive him home from the DEA field office in Kearny Mesa, he said.

Instead, he was returned to a holding cell to await release. DEA spokeswoman Amy Roderick said he was accidentally left there.

Chong said he could hear the muffled voices of agents outside his five-by-10-foot windowless cell and the sound of the door of the next cell being opened and closed. He kicked and screamed as loud as he could, but apparently, his cries for help went unheard.

"I had to recycle my own urine," he said. "I had to do what I had to do to survive."

When he was found on April 25, he was taken to a hospital and treated for cramps, dehydration and a perforated lung — the result of ingesting the broken glass.

"When they opened the door, one of them said 'Here's the water you've been asking for,'" Chong said. "But I was pretty out of it at the time."

Chong also ingested a white powder DEA agents said was left in the cell accidentally and later identified as methamphetamine. He described having hallucinations, saying: "I was completely insane."

The agency hasn't commented on Chong's claim that he was without basic necessities for days. He also said the lights went off at one point and stayed off for several days.

Chong's attorney, Eugene Iredale, said he plans to file a claim against the federal government, and if it is denied, he will proceed with filing a federal lawsuit.

Calif. man forgotten in cell says he drank urine - Yahoo! News

Now there is a punishment, he will think twice before being around drugs again. As for the urine – Coors beer about the same thing. 5 days hummm that is saying they must not use those cells much. Robin where do you find these articals?

Now there is a punishment, he will think twice before being around drugs again. As for the urine – Coors beer about the same thing. 5 days hummm that is saying they must not use those cells much. Robin where do you find these articals?

How do you feel that you forget to pick up dog after it been chain in backyard for 5 days without water/food? It would eat own shit.

Calif. man forgotten in cell says he drank urine - Yahoo! News

that gross! to drink that urine

Well, he could drink his urine and survive...

Or...

He could get severely dehydrated, forcing his organs to shut down leading to his death...

:hmm:

Last edited:
How do you feel that you forget to pick up dog after it been chain in backyard for 5 days without water/food? It would eat own shit.

Since I have been a member of the humane society for 20 years and my dog goes everywhere with me (working hearing pup) and the other dogs have auto feeders my dog is not in question.
Yes I feel for him a bit and it was WRONG for them to forget him and the other hand he was not chained down and could have beat on the door. He had a choice, someone would have heard him a chained dog in a back yard would have no choice.

Somebody needs to lose their job for this.

I saw this one yesterday and had a talk about it. That guy probably didn't do anything wrong, he's a nerd type student. UCSD senior and engineering major. No likely it's a party kid, he was just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I do wonder what will happen after the review is done. Can't believe he tried to suicide himself.. Swallowing his own glasses to kill himself. Jeez.

And what's with the bag of meth in the jail cell? DEA agents confused him for an asian gang member?

Grayma is right someone needs to lose a job over this, what is happening to the legal system. I am more scared of the police than I am the criminal element. I still feel he knew where he was but I also will agree 5 days in a cell. If he had a box fo donuts he would have been ok.

Since I have been a member of the humane society for 20 years and my dog goes everywhere with me (working hearing pup) and the other dogs have auto feeders my dog is not in question.
Yes I feel for him a bit and it was WRONG for them to forget him and the other hand he was not chained down and could have beat on the door. He had a choice, someone would have heard him a chained dog in a back yard would have no choice.

What would make you think he didn't do that?

You really think he just sat there peacefully quiet for 5 days without food, water, and a toilet??

There are plenty of stories that DEA had abused their power and they need to cut off. For instance there is a person that recently got legal RX from doctor and went to drug store only to get arrested and thrown in jail, she has cast, and is in pain.
Other one near my home, DEA had busted a guy's home 5 times only to find out it was wrong house.
I personally think that prohibitation is NOT working and has made some innocent people suffered and miserable. I believe it is time to legalize and regulate some narcotics to thrawt black market. In fact, the black market for narcotics is actually bigger than anyone could image and it has proven not working. Why spend trillions of tax dollars on something that has not prove workable?
Here is the fact that I already heard, 20 years ago, if there is a big bust, addict gets worried to death about availablity. Today, DEA announced big bust, these addicts on street no longer care because it has not impact their appetite. That was told by a police officer in Philadephia and that officer realize that the busting has not put dent in market.

There are plenty of stories that DEA had abused their power and they need to cut off. For instance there is a person that recently got legal RX from doctor and went to drug store only to get arrested and thrown in jail, she has cast, and is in pain.
Other one near my home, DEA had busted a guy's home 5 times only to find out it was wrong house.
I personally think that prohibitation is NOT working and has made some innocent people suffered and miserable. I believe it is time to legalize and regulate some narcotics to thrawt black market. In fact, the black market for narcotics is actually bigger than anyone could image and it has proven not working. Why spend trillions of tax dollars on something that has not prove workable?
Here is the fact that I already heard, 20 years ago, if there is a big bust, addict gets worried to death about availablity. Today, DEA announced big bust, these addicts on street no longer care because it has not impact their appetite. That was told by a police officer in Philadephia and that officer realize that the busting has not put dent in market.

Yup... DEA sucks!!!

What would make you think he didn't do that?

You really think he just sat there peacefully quiet for 5 days without food, water, and a toilet??

Would you have sat there and done nothing? The building was not empty of people; I suppose we should just agree to disagree on his action or lack there of.

Somebody needs to lose their job for this.

Somebody probably will get fired and a major lawsuit is coming I would imagine! That is totally crazy but apparently true and outrageous! No good answer for this one! Bad screw up on someone's part that will cost them dearly and should!

Would you have sat there and done nothing? The building was not empty of people; I suppose we should just agree to disagree on his action or lack there of.

No, any rational thinking person wouldn't have sat there and done nothing. I'm quite certain that this guy was yelling and banging for help.

I'm not even sure what you're basing that premise on. It's illogical.

He did kick and scream according to the article ;)

hong said he could hear the muffled voices of agents outside his five-by-10-foot windowless cell and the sound of the door of the next cell being opened and closed. He kicked and screamed as loud as he could, but apparently, his cries for help went unheard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back