Buying a new laptop

Rio

Brady lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is after Christmas a good time to buy a laptop or New year 2009? Any suggestions?

What exactly are you looking for in a laptop? That's the more important question. Are you planning to use it for lecture/notetaking in school, play video games or movies, do graphics designing, etc? Battery life an important aspect, or high quality processing?

Typically the way the PC world works is whenever stuff is new, it is absurdly expensive off the shelf. The price then drops when any of the following conditions get met:
A) A new line, model or technology that comes out that puts the old one on backstage. Happens most of the time.
B) Publicly-known defects that drive the desire of the product down. (IE, people saying not to buy this)
C) Excessive stock of the product, similar to B, but they need to get rid of it - this typically happens every Friday after Thanksgiving AKA Black Friday.

Throughout the year, many stores will put on a deal or promotional price for a product to make room for incoming new stuff. You can never stop the new stuff from coming, and you can never stop the price of old stuff from falling unless it's unique or has some sentimental value.

It would really depend on what type of a laptop you prefer before I could suggest an answer.

PS: Happy birthday!

i think it will be fine now since christmas is over and the year 2009 is on the way i think it will be ok for you get laptop i suggest you to ask some questions at computer stores like best buy or stores you have and see what they said smile

i hope you get new laptop and i wish you good luck smile

You can wait to see new laptop computer when CES (Consumer Electronics Show) 2009 in starting January 7-11, 2009.

Yup, what kind of notebook that you need?

If you aren't into game or multitasking then you can get standard laptop with Core 2 Duo and over 2 GB RAM, at least if you want use Vista.

I am also considering a laptop. What is a good cpu for multitasking or gaming?

Depending on what game you want to play omegaman, it's mostly gonna be the video card that hits the wallet for the laptop.

Most modern laptops come without a DirectX 9/10 based video integrated system, meaning they use manufacturer integrated onboard stuff from Intel GMA, SYS, bunch of random stuff not worth mentioning. With these, you'll have a hard time running modern day games that reside on a good GPU. Even if it works, the quality is sure to be superbly horrible, pun intended.

You'll want something based off an ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress or Nvidia GO GPU (Graphics Processing Unit). I'm kind of behind on the latest GPUs for laptops, but I'm guessing top of the line on the market atm is:
Nvidia: GeForce GO 9800GTS/GTX - best you can possibly get.
ATi: Mobility Radeon HD 3850.

In the Nvidia Line, the higher the number doesn't necessarily mean it's better.
For example, you'll see:
x200/x300/x400/x500/x600/x800
with that x being the series of the card, 6x was about several years ago, 7x was a few years ago, 8x was within the recent 2-3 years, 9x is last year and this year. 9x series will phase out, eventually but it will stick around for at least 5 years in terms of "supported for the future"
(6200GS/6300 GS/6600GT/6800GTS, 7200GT/7300GS/7800GTS etc..)
usually, it's the higher the hundredth digit, the stronger and top of the line it is. (ex, 9800GTX > 8800 GTS > 9800 GS > 7800 GT > 8200 GS > 6800 GT > 6600 GT> 7400 GS etc.)
There's also a GS < GT < GTS < GTX badge, just like how Toyota denotes their types of cars.

I'm kind of behind on ATi's HD series, about 2years behind.. I'm not up to date on the current ones out there, so I can't explain for those. I will probably go research more sometime when I have free time.

After the graphics card part, the next focus is the CPU. Omegaman, you mention you like doing gaming and video encoding so, both raw CPU power and GPU power are in your favor for your new laptop.

Right now, the best CPUs are in Intel's hand, like Foxrac suggested. Core2Duo is unprecedented these days, they have dominated and continue to dominate AMD technology. What Core2Duo means is that there are two CPU's (read PC brains) that can work simultaneously at the same time. Which is a huge plus for video encoding. You'll be able to have faster encoding times, saving you time in the long run.

Use Tom'sHardware over at [ http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/mobile-cpu-charts/benchmarks,19.html ] for some quick chart reference of CPU vs CPU speeds where you can select various ones. Note that your mileage may vary, because for benchmarking they usually choose top of the notch stuff.

They're working on getting the Quad Core laptops out, not sure when it'll be on the market though. Quad core has been available on desktop for some time already.

Keep in mind, with that kind of a power-hungry propelled system, your battery life will probably take a spike down in return. Meaning you'll probably get ~2.5 hours without the AC charger plugged in.

A tip: Watch out for most salesmen at electronic stores! They may seem helpful.. but often most of the time their focus is to get you to hopefully buy something that they currently carry. Sometimes they don't even know what the hell they're talking about, I've had my share of faking my PC intelligence in front of these people and found out they had no idea what was coming out of their mouth. It is rare to find a true geek who will tell you not to waste your money on this and wait or buy a different type at another store or online.

I also do a lot of researching at www.newegg.com for their laptop section. They have a wide selection you can compare full of the technical specs you want, and great pictures.

Thanks for the detailed info naisho. I feel confident regarding choosing the right CPU, because the Core 2 Duo seems to have positive reviews... I guess it is just a matter of finding out which CPU is the fastest and how big the cache is, etc.

Choosing a video card is a nightmare... I guess it depends on how much one wants to spend... I would prefer to have either ATI or Nvidia over integrated onboard video.

Overall, I have mixed feelings regarding purchasing a laptop now, because you raised a point regarding power consumption. I feel it is not worth using a laptop for encoding purposes. I guess I am undecided at this stage.

As for salespeople... I agree, there are a lot of clueless salespeople, as well as salespeople who are only interested in making an easy sale by misleading the customer, etc...

Another thing regarding laptops... A lot of new laptops have Vista installed. Is it difficult to install XP or even Linux?

Thanks for the detailed info naisho. I feel confident regarding choosing the right CPU, because the Core 2 Duo seems to have positive reviews... I guess it is just a matter of finding out which CPU is the fastest and how big the cache is, etc.

Choosing a video card is a nightmare... I guess it depends on how much one wants to spend... I would prefer to have either ATI or Nvidia over integrated onboard video.

Overall, I have mixed feelings regarding purchasing a laptop now, because you raised a point regarding power consumption. I feel it is not worth using a laptop for encoding purposes. I guess I am undecided at this stage.

As for salespeople... I agree, there are a lot of clueless salespeople, as well as salespeople who are only interested in making an easy sale by misleading the customer, etc...

Another thing regarding laptops... A lot of new laptops have Vista installed. Is it difficult to install XP or even Linux?

For XP then yup, it's very difficult to find drivers for install XP on laptop, for Linux then probably not because Linux has driver included?

What exactly are you looking for in a laptop? That's the more important question. Are you planning to use it for lecture/notetaking in school, play video games or movies, do graphics designing, etc? Battery life an important aspect, or high quality processing?

Typically the way the PC world works is whenever stuff is new, it is absurdly expensive off the shelf. The price then drops when any of the following conditions get met:
A) A new line, model or technology that comes out that puts the old one on backstage. Happens most of the time.
B) Publicly-known defects that drive the desire of the product down. (IE, people saying not to buy this)
C) Excessive stock of the product, similar to B, but they need to get rid of it - this typically happens every Friday after Thanksgiving AKA Black Friday.

Throughout the year, many stores will put on a deal or promotional price for a product to make room for incoming new stuff. You can never stop the new stuff from coming, and you can never stop the price of old stuff from falling unless it's unique or has some sentimental value.

It would really depend on what type of a laptop you prefer before I could suggest an answer.

PS: Happy birthday!

:ty: for the birthday wish :)

I am not computer lit , I do like to take pics and maybe use some kind of photoshop program for animation and create my own pix with animation type thing. I do write a lot would like to start using my laptop for a book writing. I do like to use the DVD/CD player for music. I feel inexperienced here lol I am going to browse around the store for some laptops just curious if its a good idea to buy sales before the new year or wait bec things always seem to change with technology.

I will consider to buy new laptop for my fiancee's birthday since her old laptop Dell L400 is not worth anymore. Sorry let's back topic here.. Yeah Foxrac's right about Core 2 Duo is best choice and HP brands too.

thts what i just bought this month a core 2 due HP, with a 8400M /256mb dedicated rams, older model with 667 rams but its sure arent slow, 2.0ghz clock speeds, is also another thing to consider the higher core speed will indicate the faster it will run. I got it right in lower end of the middle, I didnt want a 1.6 or 1.8 1.83 or 1.86 shit, 2.0 is fine, i'd prefer 2.26 or even 2.4 but it seems to go up $200 more as i go up on scales so i chose the 2.0 for price reason, also i didnt go hell bent on graphics card because fundamentally laptops arent designed for gaming, and if you used it solely for gaming you'd cook the graphics card. why do you think Lan partys have like 100-200 desktop and you might see only 2 or 3 lappys? (chances are they are High end Alienwares =EXPENSIVE

so I got a decent c2d 2.0 Ghz , 2 gb ram, and 8400M /256 which is great, fast and can still play some games, at that id play something that is mild on the graphics and a long as i limit to 1 or 2 hour per gaming session , the laptop will have no problems

so that's my contribution to this thread, wisdom is get mid-range graphics card, at least 2.0 ghz c2d , bluetooth,wifi is a must and as for mass storage think about an external USB harddriver enclosure , so much safer and sensible for backups and that instant access to 'file server' type of data library

cheers

yeah time for me to get a new laptop...If I'm in the market for one I'm a-takin' one with the AMD Turion 64 along with an ATI 3d card in it. Gotta have more than 2G RAM main memory. Less than that aint gonna cut the mustard. Besides I'm too much an AMD fan than Intel when it comes to the CPU. The laptop I have uses a 1.8G AMD64 Athlon Mobile with a 64 meg Nvidia GeForce 440-GO card, 512 meg of RAM, 60GB HDD and a 15.4" screen. That was pretty exotic for 2005...

My current HP is sure getting old and ready to qualify for Social Security :lol:
Funny is in 2005 I paid 1,200 for that laptop. Now fast forward 4 years later I can buy a 17" screen, built-in webcam, a slightly faster AMD64 Turion CPU, a 512 meg ATI video card, more than 3 or 4 GB of RAM, 250GB HDD and a BluRay drive, all for only $800 and I can even have it brass plated! So much for Moore's Law :P

Is after Christmas a good time to buy a laptop or New year 2009? Any suggestions?
Yeah depend on sale or not.. What the laptop you invest?? economic laptop or expensive laptop? I just suggest/ courage you research about laptop and information which is right for you before buy one than buy it as spur of moment, then later you will feel more regrets.

Now Many completed laptops has 3GB or 4GB RAM and 160 to 320GB hard-drives I've seen on shelves @ best buy, Fry's or Circuit City.

Most important that laptop's ram and harddrives can going to be upgradeable in future.

I am also considering a laptop. What is a good cpu for multitasking or gaming?

multitasking or casual gaming- like hp, sony vaio or another brand of products

If you are hardcore gamer- Yeah Of course get Alienware, rkcomputer, killer, XOTIPIC, OCZ DIY are whitebook like the same blueprint which is the same manufacture laptop for heavy gamings and other. They can upgradeable graphic card/ hard drive/ RAM. If you don't believe. You better looking at different sites 's picture laptop are all same manufacture and same details, but different name of companies. thats why it called whitebook. Those can be upgradeable to 1TB, because they have two internal slots for a Harddrives.

You will notice that Alienware released new M17 which is the same whitebook like the rest of rkcomputers, killer, xotipic, ocz diy on and on.

killernotebooks

ocztechnology

rkcomputer

xoticpc

AlienWare -M17 Notebook & Area 51 m9750

Aren't they same manufacture notebooks??

Last edited:

Totally agreed that ATI or Nvidia card over integrated graphic chipset!! Because it make whole system run faster and smoother than integrated. Integrated chipsit do have issue with some games even though it's the same chipset being used on graphic card. It have to do with video memory sharing. I have seen some few laptops have "Onboard itx graphic chipset" with its own memory which don't use System's memory. HP laptop is one of few on certain models. Which means it's upgradeable for better itx graphic adapter. I have seen ebay sells laptop graphic adapter for upgrades. This requires you to take apart laptop millions pieces till you get to mobo and remove graphic adapter from mobo and swap with better one.

This type of Onboard itx graphic chipset would make gaming runs smoother than Onboard graphic chipset.

Interesting fact!?? Do google searching.

Catty

Back