Buying a new laptop

yeah time for me to get a new laptop...If I'm in the market for one I'm a-takin' one with the AMD Turion 64 along with an ATI 3d card in it. Gotta have more than 2G RAM main memory. Less than that aint gonna cut the mustard. Besides I'm too much an AMD fan than Intel when it comes to the CPU. The laptop I have uses a 1.8G AMD64 Athlon Mobile with a 64 meg Nvidia GeForce 440-GO card, 512 meg of RAM, 60GB HDD and a 15.4" screen. That was pretty exotic for 2005...

My current HP is sure getting old and ready to qualify for Social Security :lol:
Funny is in 2005 I paid 1,200 for that laptop. Now fast forward 4 years later I can buy a 17" screen, built-in webcam, a slightly faster AMD64 Turion CPU, a 512 meg ATI video card, more than 3 or 4 GB of RAM, 250GB HDD and a BluRay drive, all for only $800 and I can even have it brass plated! So much for Moore's Law :P

I thought AMD Turion was having problems with heat in laptops?

Yeah depend on sale or not.. What the laptop you invest?? economic laptop or expensive laptop? I just suggest/ courage you research about laptop and information which is right for you before buy one than buy it as spur of moment, then later you will feel more regrets.

Now Many completed laptops has 3GB or 4GB RAM and 160 to 320GB hard-drives I've seen on shelves @ best buy, Fry's or Circuit City.

Most important that laptop's ram and harddrives can going to be upgradeable in future.

multitasking or casual gaming- like hp, sony vaio or another brand of products

If you are hardcore gamer- Yeah Of course get Alienware, rkcomputer, killer, XOTIPIC, OCZ DIY are whitebook like the same blueprint which is the same manufacture laptop for heavy gamings and other. They can upgradeable graphic card/ hard drive/ RAM. If you don't believe. You better looking at different sites 's picture laptop are all same manufacture and same details, but different name of companies. thats why it called whitebook. Those can be upgradeable to 1TB, because they have two internal slots for a Harddrives.

You will notice that Alienware released new M17 which is the same whitebook like the rest of rkcomputers, killer, xotipic, ocz diy on and on.

I did check out the netbook, the salesman at Best Buy said, its good for Instant messaging and emails very limited it wasn't what I expected to hear. The RAM was limited and internet access is not good.

I did see others , I can see its best to fork up extra money say , $799-up for the laptop with plenty of gb, RAM and battery coverage it gets hot fast. I am still shopping around so far, HP looks good. People said, to avoid Dell, Gateway and Toshiba.

I did check out the netbook, the salesman at Best Buy said, its good for Instant messaging and emails very limited it wasn't what I expected to hear. The RAM was limited and internet access is not good.

I did see others , I can see its best to fork up extra money say , $799-up for the laptop with plenty of gb, RAM and battery coverage it gets hot fast. I am still shopping around so far, HP looks good. People said, to avoid Dell, Gateway and Toshiba.

and avoid Windows Vista. :P

a) I did check out the netbook, the salesman at Best Buy said, its good for Instant messaging and emails very limited it wasn't what I expected to hear. The RAM was limited and internet access is not good.

b) I did see others , I can see its best to fork up extra money say , $799-up for the laptop with plenty of gb, RAM and battery coverage it gets hot fast. I am still shopping around so far, HP looks good. People said, to avoid Dell, Gateway and Toshiba.
a) I am thought that you looking for laptop.. Ha anyway, I am glad that you check out the netbook. Please don't buy salesman's bs story, because many saleman know nothing about desktops, laptops or Netbooks.

Honest I haven't problem with netbook so far! its never get hot quickly not freeze it up since I purchased. I did upgraded from 1GB to 2GB RAM, however my netbook can be upgrade 4GB RAM.. depend on various netbook's Memory RAM expandable to 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB..

b) Anyway Now I talking about laptop, I agree with your saying HP has great quality. I have own three Compaq laptops -2008, 2005, 2001. I haven't any problem with them. those are owned by hp products. I have own 2004 Toshiba laptop, built is not very quality, but manufacture is cheap! I know nothing about dell, but One of my friend who own Dell and have problem with dell's apps that cause frozen and locked it up for no reason that very often.

Gateway and emachine already acquired by ACER!

and avoid Windows Vista. :P
How can I avoid window vista? XP is the out of date OS after all desktops and laptops have pre-installed VISTA OS. Now, Vista being far superior to XP. :P

a) I am thought that you looking for laptop.. Ha anyway, I am glad that you check out the netbook. Please don't buy salesman's bs story, because many saleman know nothing about desktops, laptops or Netbooks.

Honest I haven't problem with netbook so far! its never get hot quickly not freeze it up since I purchased. I did upgraded from 1GB to 2GB RAM, however my netbook can be upgrade 4GB RAM.. depend on various netbook's Memory RAM expandable to 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB..

b) Anyway Now I talking about laptop, I agree with your saying HP has great quality. I have own three Compaq laptops -2008, 2005, 2001. I haven't any problem with them. those are owned by hp products. I have own 2004 Toshiba laptop, built is not very quality, but manufacture is cheap! I know nothing about dell, but One of my friend who own Dell and have problem with dell's apps that cause frozen and locked it up for no reason that very often.

Gateway and emachine already acquired by ACER!

How can I avoid window vista? XP is the out of date OS after all desktops and laptops have pre-installed VISTA OS. Now, Vista being far superior to XP. :P

XP isn't outdated OS since XP still get support by MS until 2014 and MS has expanded the license for XP too.

You have different taste about Vista but for me, I'm not happy with Vista and have wait for Windows 7 to release in next year or 2010 then XP met my exception.

For pre-installed Vista on all PC, it's true but you can format the HDD and install XP if you can find drivers for XP, desktop is most easier to find driver since laptop is more difficult to find, except for graphic card by GeForce.

I found out that your post about photoshop.

If you want use photoshop then I'm recommended you to get 15.4" standard laptop with Core 2 Duo instead of netbook.

I found out that your post about photoshop.

If you want use photoshop then I'm recommended you to get 15.4" standard laptop with Core 2 Duo instead of netbook.

or you can connect netbook to bigger LCD.

then use power plug

Ah yes! Good thinking..:)

I think Netbooks are good, but... I would not want to use a netbook for graphics even if it is connected to a big screen. From what I have seen the netbook hardware is too limited. Ie. small ram, small HD (though you can connect external USB HD) and small CPU.

Ah yes! Good thinking..:)

I think Netbooks are good, but... I would not want to use a netbook for graphics even if it is connected to a big screen. From what I have seen the netbook hardware is too limited. Ie. small ram, small HD (though you can connect external USB HD) and small CPU.

Netbooks are OK when I had visited at some electronic stores. Too small display. I still look for mini-notebook (13.3" and 14.1") with XP PRO for my business trip. I dislike Windows Vista. I had gotten info on some notebooks with XP Pro in Ebay but I will wait to hear about new mini-notebooks at CES next week.

or you can connect netbook to bigger LCD.

Well, I wouldn't recommended due performance, unless you don't care about slowdown or sluggish.

I had researched about CPU, Atom is far more slower than Core 2 Duo, according on benchmark, Atom is faster as latest P3 and early P4. If any consumers want everything to run then get standard laptop with Core 2 Duo, also follow to requirement system to run application at decent performance and I'm really hate slowdown or sluggish.

I know about this person was mention about PC brand for multitasking without check their tech spec, PC brands aren't really matters but need check out the tech spec.

:ty: for the birthday wish :)

I am not computer lit , I do like to take pics and maybe use some kind of photoshop program for animation and create my own pix with animation type thing. I do write a lot would like to start using my laptop for a book writing. I do like to use the DVD/CD player for music. I feel inexperienced here lol I am going to browse around the store for some laptops just curious if its a good idea to buy sales before the new year or wait bec things always seem to change with technology.
If you put photoshop programs on PC for pictures and animations, don't recommend you getting netbook. I suggest you get between 14 and 16in laptop. I have own photoshop program on another laptop which is 15.6in. I did give a try it on netbook. it wont run on netbook, because lack of vga drivers, I can't remember. netbook is good for internet, email, word processing, collection diary, photo editing, listen music and watch movies. ;)

If you put photoshop programs on PC for pictures and animations, don't recommend you getting netbook. I suggest you get between 14 and 16in laptop. I have own photoshop program on another laptop which is 15.6in. I did give a try it on netbook. it wont run on netbook, because lack of vga drivers, I can't remember. netbook is good for internet, email, word processing, collection diary, photo editing, listen music and watch movies. ;)

there's this thing I don't understand when buying a laptop as big as 16+".... why bother? The point of getting a laptop is to be portable and carry-able (preferably 4 lbs max). I don't really understand why would people buy a HUMONGOUS laptop when they can get a more powerful PC for that same price. Believe me - a laptop as big as 16" or more.... you're not going to carry it around as much as you want. It's a deadweight. People have told me that they just leave it at home and never carried it around.

However, I suppose that it has one major convenience factor - ironically - portability... If you gotta go (stay at relative/family's house for a while or moving out or etc), you just simply close up laptop and go where you gotta go.

IMO - 14" is perfect size for laptop. 14" or below.... with good tech spec... just simply connect it to bigger LCD or even your HDTV if you want bigger screen. just my :2c:

I really crazy love laptop over desktop. I replaced it for desktop, because it is more space and room. i can carry it from room to room or kitchen, or living room, whatever. desktop for entertainment theater in living room only.

Yes some people wanted the Big Laptop (16+) replace their desktop without portable it around for various reasons. depend on individual... Sometime, I do carrying my fiancee's beautiful 17in laptop to coffee shop. its not bother me to carrying. But I would've worry if I left big laptop at car, someone would break in and steal while I go shopping or something errands.

now I have small netbook, so I can take it anywhere. I don't have to be rob my friend's computer if I stopped by his or her place. I can share with their wireless router/ wired router when i use netbook instead rod theirs. I sometime connect my netbook to BIG HDTV LCD, thats neat! ;)

Yeah Oceanblue, for the laptop you want, seems that Photoshop is going to be your most demanding application.

To run get the best settings on a photo editing program like photoshop, this is what you'll want:
-Core 2 Duo, any speed should be fine.
-2GB RAM or more
-HD space your own preference
-Size of monitor your own preference, you'll want larger if you like working with big photoshop pictures.
-Video card your own preference, if you do not play videogames then you do not need to worry about it
that's pretty much it. Something along this line should run around $~600 average when there's no good deals, no higher than $800 MAXIMUM for the best in this type of workload. On sale deals or promotional this should go around as low as $300 to $400 after rebates or after buying promotional items.
Sony laptops usually look the fanciest, but they are the most durable. They will also cost a bit more over their competitors. I've worked with Acer, Sony, Toshiba, HP, IBM laptops and I have to say, Sony is the sleekest for the price.

Don't buy a netbook unless all you do is plan to do homework + school stuff, IM and EMAIL, surf web.

As for the other debates over getting stronger and better laptops - I tend to agree with both sides, yet refuse to partake in any side.

Good Laptops:
- Has pros of being versalite and can virtually go anywhere, and you have your "power PC" rig without having to worry about wires, connections, and all that junk.
- Can be used mobile, if you travel a lot (ie, businessman) a laptop is definitely for you. Such as bathroom, living room to connect LCD TV source.
- Can be stolen, high power consumption, Fragility: the better stuff it is, the higher chance you'll break something if you dropped it.

Good Desktops:
- Cost less than laptop, more bang for your buck in same $ spent. IE, guy spends $1000 on PC stuff gets more power compared to $1000 on laptop.
- Desktop VS Laptop, desktop components will always perform faster due to more energy provided
- Power consumption is a con on the electric bill if you're an energy guy/gal.
- Immobile, you have to return to your place to use it - can't use in the bathroom or friends house

It's like buying an automobile really.
Do you prefer a Suzuki Ninja Bike (Netbook) or a McLaren (Alienware) or a Toyota Corolla (Standard $400 Laptop) or a Lexus (Improved $800 Laptop) etc... People have different visions about their buys just like cars. It is totally up to the person's lifestyle and preference.

Yeah Oceanblue, for the laptop you want, seems that Photoshop is going to be your most demanding application.

To run get the best settings on a photo editing program like photoshop, this is what you'll want:
-2GB RAM or more
-Size of monitor your own preference, you'll want larger if you like working with big photoshop pictures.
-Video card your own preference, if you do not play videogames then you do not need to worry about it
that's pretty much it. Something along this line should run around $~600 average when there's no good deals, no higher than $800 MAXIMUM for the best in this type of workload. On sale deals or promotional this should go around as low as $300 to $400 after rebates or after buying promotional items.
Sony laptops usually look the fanciest, but they are the most durable. They will also cost a bit more over their competitors. I've worked with Acer, Sony, Toshiba, HP, IBM laptops and I have to say, Sony is the sleekest for the price.

Don't buy a netbook unless all you do is plan to do homework + school stuff, IM and EMAIL, surf web.

As for the other debates over getting stronger and better laptops - I tend to agree with both sides, yet refuse to partake in any side.

Good Laptops:
- Has pros of being versalite and can virtually go anywhere, and you have your "power PC" rig without having to worry about wires, connections, and all that junk.
- Can be used mobile, if you travel a lot (ie, businessman) a laptop is definitely for you. Such as bathroom, living room to connect LCD TV source.
- Can be stolen, high power consumption, Fragility: the better stuff it is, the higher chance you'll break something if you dropped it.

Good Desktops:
- Cost less than laptop, more bang for your buck in same $ spent. IE, guy spends $1000 on PC stuff gets more power compared to $1000 on laptop.
- Desktop VS Laptop, desktop components will always perform faster due to more energy provided
- Immobile, you have to return to your place to use it - can't use in the bathroom or friends house

Do you prefer a Suzuki Ninja Bike (Netbook) or a McLaren (Alienware) or a Toyota Corolla (Standard $400 Laptop) or a Lexus (Improved $800 Laptop) etc... People have different visions about their buys just like cars. It is totally up to the person's lifestyle and preference.

Great information :thumb:

I'm consider to buy PC laptop due not happy with MacBook Pro, especially on lacks of VRAM for graphic card.

-2GB RAM or more

Good Laptops:

Good Desktops:

Excellent description. I want to add about screen size on Laptop.

X-Large screen 17"-- Widest screen but burdensome to carry around. Won't fit Airline seating tray. Won't fit in school backpack, you need a camper's backpack to fit in. It's like a Hummer

Large screen 15.4"-- Wide screen but not too wide, little easier to carry around but still won't fit Airline seating tray. Just fits in school backpack. Like a Dodge Caravan (not "Grand")

Meduim screen 14"-- wide screen just about right. easier to carry and barely fit airline seating trays. Fits school backpack with plenty of room to throw in. Like a Chrysler Sebering

Meduim-small screen 12"-- wide screen look cute but comfortable. Far much easier to carry around and fits Airline seating trays nicely. Fits small school backpack or briefcase. Like a Ford Probe

Small screen 10"-- wide screen look much cuter but kinda comfortable to view depending on individual. Plenty of room on Airline seating trays. Light to carry and fits in small school backpack with plenty room to throw in. Like Geo Metro

X-small screen 8.9"-- wide screen look "tiny" and compact. Lot of room on Airline seating trays and enuf room for lunch or books beside it. Easily stash in big pant pockets or shuck behind back with shirt over it (just like handgun shuck behind back). Like a BMW's Smart Fortwo

That's about it. I regretted accepting 15.4 WXGA Acer Aspire laptop from friend and it was too big for Airline seating tray. I had to set it in an uncomfortable "V" to watch movie. I got envy when I saw other passenger who had 12" laptop fits nicely on Airline seating tray. Other hand, my laptop is comfortable to watch movie 6' away. It's currently a main system for me and my wife to use checking Email, browse online, and many more without going down basment to use PC. It's wirelessly connected to printer and file sharing with other PC.

Best to get laptops with plenty of RAM memory to run. I just upgraded my laptop to maximum of 2GB and it ran smooth and fast now.

Catty

I am not so sure why you would want to use a laptop on the airplane. The pilots would go out of control, and they would wonder who hacked their system. That could be you. :hmm:

Back