Business Cards?

WOW! Thanks so much

markfromnj-albums-pictures-me-picture5789-i-remember-someone-asking-help-making-design-so-i-made-i-dont-know-if-any-good-but-i-did-try-my-best.jpg

I think this is a good business card. Using BecLak STEP idea it really works and gets straight to the point. BecLak I hope it is ok with you I made this design.

Hi MarkFromNJ - excellent work! You've been busy. This is exactly what I was thinking! :wave:

TracyK
Any update on what app you will be using with you iphone?

I had no idea that you were even looking at Clear Captions. I could have told you before you downloaded and installed that it does NOT receive.

Noticed late from profile and something you wrote in another posting that you are near Chicago. I am about 60-80 miles east of St. Louis, MO (depending on where at each end you measure from/to) in Illinois so which carrier works best for each of us could well vary.

There use to be people walking around in parking lots that would hand out cards. They said "I am a deaf mute and need money to get home". One time I saw a man being handed this card and he said "sorry" and the "deaf mute" told him to FU*K OFF nice and loud for everyone to hear. I haven't seen them around for awhile now.
That's another reason why I'm sorta feeling icky about us having a business card like that. If a hearing person saw something like that, it would probably make them feel like they are dealing with a deaf peddler and walk away.

It's the "deaf" peddlers that have ruined things for us. I see deaf peddlers around here all the time. They go walking around trying to sell ABC cards for money. I saw one guy doing that at a Walmart store once. I followed him a bit. He didn't get anything from anyone, but then he stopped by McDonalds and got himself a lunch before leaving the store and walking to the next store to continue peddling his cards.

At a mall, there's another deaf guy who always go there with his family. He will have his family sit there at the table in the food court the whole time while he walks around leaving handmade beaded keychains on tables. (Each handmade bead had a little card attached explaining the money helps deaf people.) He would then come back to each table asking if people wanted to buy the keychains before taking the keychains back and sitting down at his table again for 10 to 15 minutes... then try again.

markfromnj-albums-pictures-me-picture5789-i-remember-someone-asking-help-making-design-so-i-made-i-dont-know-if-any-good-but-i-did-try-my-best.jpg

I think this is a good business card. Using BecLak STEP idea it really works and gets straight to the point. BecLak I hope it is ok with you I made this design.

Look likes good impressive design! :) cheer! that is nice! look likes help BecLack! glad of see it visual! better

Cool design!!! I would like something like that. However, I'll not give it to everyone. Try to think of a college student who needs bike to get around campus. They just want a cheap bike that work. Most of them will probably not be interested in rhetorics of how to communicate with a deaf person. They just wants me to show bikes. I would use my hands to sign "40", "50", etc. They probably won't meet another deaf person unless they refer others to me.

Not saying that cards are bad idea. I would love to have some, but I'm just pointing that not everyone will need or want cards.

Usually it's students who may be going to school and needing to learn ASL would be interested. I don't think many doctors, music majors, or nurses would be interested. They should be interested, but I know they won't be. They may never get a deaf patient so they won't see need of cards.

Wirelessly posted

VamPyroX said:
Angel1989 said:
There use to be people walking around in parking lots that would hand out cards. They said "I am a deaf mute and need money to get home". One time I saw a man being handed this card and he said "sorry" and the "deaf mute" told him to FU*K OFF nice and loud for everyone to hear. I haven't seen them around for awhile now.
That's another reason why I'm sorta feeling icky about us having a business card like that. If a hearing person saw something like that, it would probably make them feel like they are dealing with a deaf peddler and walk away.

It's the "deaf" peddlers that have ruined things for us. I see deaf peddlers around here all the time. They go walking around trying to sell ABC cards for money. I saw one guy doing that at a Walmart store once. I followed him a bit. He didn't get anything from anyone, but then he stopped by McDonalds and got himself a lunch before leaving the store and walking to the next store to continue peddling his cards.

At a mall, there's another deaf guy who always go there with his family. He will have his family sit there at the table in the food court the whole time while he walks around leaving handmade beaded keychains on tables. (Each handmade bead had a little card attached explaining the money helps deaf people.) He would then come back to each table asking if people wanted to buy the keychains before taking the keychains back and sitting down at his table again for 10 to 15 minutes... then try again.

I can see how having business cards could raise concern in that way, that is a very valid point. This acronym is designed to take the stress out of having to make long explanations. This acronym can be useful as signatures on emails or for appointments only, if preferred. Others may find it easier just to do and be without any explanation, that of course is the most ideal, but unfortunately, more often than not, hearing people are so clueless that they need it spelt out to them - this is just a quick and easy way to do just that. I get tired of 'but you can speak so you must be able to hear right?' If you say things like 'I am hard of hearing', then in hearing people's minds if they think if you have any percentage of residual hearing that you are NOT Deaf therefore, there is no need to make accommodations for you, they just carry on as usual. Most hearing people only minutely understand if you are 100% D/deaf but as KristinaB has often shared even she has that same problem when she speaks. That's why speech is more of a curse than a blessing.

Last edited:
Back