Business Cards?

I just feel like strangers who hear me speak don't get that I cannot hear, even when I tell them. If I just sign a few short sentences to these people then they get "deaf." Once they get "deaf" then I don't have to work to get them turning around to look at me and speak....

Of course am I doing more harm by not educating people that deaf people are capable of speech???

I do not want to be regressive, and I would never consider voice off for family/friends.... It is just new situations that are driving me BATTY! I feel so conspicuous. I am sure it is just my own mental problem!!! :crazy:

It is not just you who thinks it though. I am a hearing male. My sister is hoh. I never really looked at people who are deaf as unable to speak. I always looked at it as there are some who speak and some who don't. There are a lot of people though who don't get it and they always seem to sterotype things which usually makes things worse. I get mad when people do that because of how I was raised. Don't base a person on a sterotype base them on the content of their character.

Update on my "continuing drama!"

Okay, for those who are interested. Tousi made a good point about regression. So last night when the hospital called to scheduled a test and pre-registered me. I had my them list that I can speak but not hear. FYI IN LOVE WITH CapTel!!!!!

So I get to the hospital and go to the right place. The receptionist has no clue I cannot hear. So I say to her, "You must have missed the memo, I am very hard of hearing. I cannot understand you if you are not looking at me." I tend to laugh at myself a lot so I tried to say in in a frivolous manner.

She was all apologetic and I was like don't worry about it it happens all the time. I can speak well because I post lingual hearing loss. It really helps if people look at me when speaking, otherwise I am pretty clueless. I thought this was in my medical chart.

So she texted the nurse in the back and she came up right to me so I could see her when it was time to go back. She also put in a tech request for my hearing issue to be documented on the appt screen (no clue what this is but I guess desk staff don't see charts).

All in all, I have to say all you guys gave me an alternative perspective and today was far more positive for me. I decided educating people may be more effective than shutting down. This won't help me in crowds or really loud spaces (I still may go with cute cards for that), but your advice will help me get through the mundane daily stuff.

I am sincerely glad to "meet" all of you!

Thanks to everyone!! :ty: :ty: :ty:

Okay, for those who are interested. Tousi made a good point about regression. So last night when the hospital called to scheduled a test and pre-registered me. I had my them list that I can speak but not hear. FYI IN LOVE WITH CapTel!!!!!

So I get to the hospital and go to the right place. The receptionist has no clue I cannot hear. So I say to her, "You must have missed the memo, I am very hard of hearing. I cannot understand you if you are not looking at me." I tend to laugh at myself a lot so I tried to say in in a frivolous manner.

She was all apologetic and I was like don't worry about it it happens all the time. I can speak well because I post lingual hearing loss. It really helps if people look at me when speaking, otherwise I am pretty clueless. I thought this was in my medical chart.

So she texted the nurse in the back and she came up right to me so I could see her when it was time to go back. She also put in a tech request for my hearing issue to be documented on the appt screen (no clue what this is but I guess desk staff don't see charts).

All in all, I have to say all you guys gave me an alternative perspective and today was far more positive for me. I decided educating people may be more effective than shutting down. This won't help me in crowds or really loud spaces (I still may go with cute cards for that), but your advice will help me get through the mundane daily stuff.

I am sincerely glad to "meet" all of you!

Thanks to everyone!! :ty: :ty: :ty:

The start of this makes me think you have found a version of CapTel you really like. I can't help but wonder which one you have used.

She also put in a tech request for my hearing issue to be documented on the appt screen (no clue what this is but I guess desk staff don't see charts).

The receptionist only sees what is on the computer screen where the appointments are "listed".

The tech request will either be to have someone fill in a field in your computer records that will show on the appointments screen whenever you have an appointment
OR
to request the developer of the computer application to add something (a text field, checkbox, etc) to the application to allow them to enter information so that it will show up (in the future...it can take time to update applications).

Woo Hoo!!!

The start of this makes me think you have found a version of CapTel you really like. I can't help but wonder which one you have used.

I downloaded ClearCaptions app on my iPhone. I cannot figure out how to receive calls with it. But I just ignored the call in and then called back. It RAWKS!!!! Once I figure out how to make it work while receiving calls I will be one very very happy camper!!! :giggle:

I downloaded ClearCaptions app on my iPhone. I cannot figure out how to receive calls with it. But I just ignored the call in and then called back. It RAWKS!!!! Once I figure out how to make it work while receiving calls I will be one very very happy camper!!! :giggle:

CapTel and ClearCaptions are two different apps! The last I knew ClearCaptions does not receive as it seems you found.

Since you have an iPhone (I sure hope it is a 4 or 4s?) you will need the Hamilton version of CapTel.
Hamilton CapTel: Smartphone: SmartPhone Selector
Please go to the site I just referenced with you computer for more detail.

The Wireless CapTel by Sprint is just for phones with the Andriod operating system NOT for iPhones.

Since first doing this post I have read the FAQs on the ClearCaptions site and unfortunately it turns out that I was right about receiving calls. This is what it says:
Can I receive calls using ClearCaptions?

Not currently.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Another one lost to the oral tide. I'm one lone fish. Oh well. (to myself.....'keep swimming.....just keep swimming' - quote Dory from Finding Nemo).
TraceyK, all the best to you, no hard feelings :smile:

Wirelessly posted

Another one lost to the oral tide. I'm one lone fish. Oh well. (to myself.....'keep swimming.....just keep swimming' - quote Dory from Finding Nemo).
TraceyK, all the best to you, no hard feelings :smile:

It really makes it a lot worse for people who can't speak when hard of hearing or late deafened people pretend they can't.

They get frustrated and speak at some point, and then the next deaf person who can't is believed to just be stubborn.

I really disapprove of this behavior. It doesn't make you look more deaf, it just hurts others.

Wirelessly posted

You have raised a very important point there Botti, it is true there are many 'pretenders' out there and even some who come on this forum who do more harm than good. But as you well know, I was born deaf, I am no deaf-wannabe. I was raised oral, a guinea-pig of the 70s. I did not choose to be oral. I am not pretending I can't speak, I am just exerting my right not to. If some find it easier to be voice-of then we/they should have every right to do so. I have found for myself and others like myself, than it takes a lot of courage to swim against the oral tide. I have great respect for you, Botti, and it is definitely not my intention to hurt you or anyone. Everyone has their soap box - this just happens to be mine. Down with Audism!

For some to say that oral-deaf cannot come 'home' to be Deaf is just wrong in my opinion.

Last edited:
It really makes it a lot worse for people who can't speak when hard of hearing or late deafened people pretend they can't.

They get frustrated and speak at some point, and then the next deaf person who can't is believed to just be stubborn.

I really disapprove of this behavior. It doesn't make you look more deaf, it just hurts others.

Really - I never thought of it that way. Thank you for sharing an alternative perspective. EXACTLY, what I am looking for!

markfromnj-albums-pictures-me-picture5789-i-remember-someone-asking-help-making-design-so-i-made-i-dont-know-if-any-good-but-i-did-try-my-best.jpg

I think this is a good business card. Using BecLak STEP idea it really works and gets straight to the point. BecLak I hope it is ok with you I made this design.

While it does sound like a good idea, I wouldn't recommend it be used for every single situation. That sorta makes us look helpless as we have to immediately put out a little card to tell them what's wrong with us.

It does sound like a good purpose for medical emergencies or police officers.

I think it's a nice design, and really nice that you did this. I still have to bring up the issue that anyone over a certain age (without reading glasses) isn't going to be able to see small print. And when you shrink this graphic down to the size of a business card, all the really important information will be pretty small. If you want to maximize the number of people who will have a chance at getting your message, I think you have to use more of the card's space for the message, in larger lettering.

Repeating myself. Sorry. It strikes me as important, but really, just my opinion.

There use to be people walking around in parking lots that would hand out cards. They said "I am a deaf mute and need money to get home". One time I saw a man being handed this card and he said "sorry" and the "deaf mute" told him to FU*K OFF nice and loud for everyone to hear. I haven't seen them around for awhile now.

Wirelessly posted

It is intended only to take the guesswork out of communication. No need for money is mentioned.

I think it's a nice design, and really nice that you did this. I still have to bring up the issue that anyone over a certain age (without reading glasses) isn't going to be able to see small print. And when you shrink this graphic down to the size of a business card, all the really important information will be pretty small. If you want to maximize the number of people who will have a chance at getting your message, I think you have to use more of the card's space for the message, in larger lettering.

Repeating myself. Sorry. It strikes me as important, but really, just my opinion.

I will work on possibly making it bigger with the text. Sometimes it takes a few hours or a few days to make a design. I will work on it

Back