Bumper Stickers...

Some people are a wee too PC! I definitly want one of those stickers! (since I don't have a car or even a license yet I'll stick it in my room)
I understand the whole safety issue but on the other hand I LOVE disabilty humor! One of my friends who has cerebal palsy sells a shirt that says "I don't have CP, I'm drunk!" I also saw a shirt sold by a ADD guy which said "I have ADD and ....hey oh my god...that's cool! Can I play with that?" I would like to sell a shirt for deaf/hoh folk that says "I heard you I am not deaf!"
(I actually bought a pin a few weeks ago that says "Don't talk to my breasts they're deaf!")

Originally posted by pinkster
I guess I should say that not everyone finds humor in being deaf the way I do. My manager handed me a bead of a deer, and said "its hearing impaired!" I was confused untill I saw that one of the ears was broken off. I laughed. Granted - it was somewhat mean - but come off it - being deaf (or Deaf) is FUN! I did tell her, however, that not every deaf person would find that funny. So suck it up and get one :D

oo thanks for reminding me - i hate when my hearing friends tell their friends that i'm hearing impaired so i told 'em they're deaf impaired and they didn't like it. i felt good cause they should understand how i feel :D

sorry for off the subject.

I've wore some deaf shirts...etc...

It was just a lesson that I had paid for having that bumper sticker on my truck. The next day...I took off that bumper sticker.

I also got a PM from someone asking about how to use a flashing doorbell sign for the visitors. Suppose you installed a new flashing doorbell button outside beside the front door and you wanted to put a sign beside the door for the hearing people to push it. It wouldn't be good to say "Deaf people live here. Please use flashing doorbell." What about "Sleeping baby. Please use flashing doorbell."

Any ideas?

Originally posted by SilenceGold

It was just a lesson that I had paid for having that bumper sticker on my truck. The next day...I took off that bumper sticker.

I also got a PM from someone asking about how to use a flashing doorbell sign for the visitors. Suppose you installed a new flashing doorbell button outside beside the front door and you wanted to put a sign beside the door for the hearing people to push it. It wouldn't be good to say "Deaf people live here. Please use flashing doorbell." What about "Sleeping baby. Please use flashing doorbell."

Any ideas?

Good question. I have a doorbell flashing alert everywhere in my home except my boys' bedrooms, so that way the lights won't bother the boys when they're asleep. They're already used to the noise everywhere. They sleep right through someone's knocking or loud noise (not in the same room as they are in). I put 45 Watt light bulb in my bedroom, bathroom, kitchen/diningroom/familyroom, and playroom (downstairs). Does that answer your question?

Originally posted by ChelEler
Good question. I have a doorbell flashing alert everywhere in my home except my boys' bedrooms, so that way the lights won't bother the boys when they're asleep. They're already used to the noise everywhere. They sleep right through someone's knocking or loud noise (not in the same room as they are in). I put 45 Watt light bulb in my bedroom, bathroom, kitchen/diningroom/familyroom, and playroom (downstairs). Does that answer your question?

No....what I was saying was that this person mentioned about posting a sign outside the house that there were deaf people living in the house.

If that occurs and a stranger strolls by and sees this sign. He might come up with an evil plan to take advantage of what deaf people doesn't have. Robbing the house soundless.

No....what I was saying was that this person mentioned about posting a sign outside the house that there were deaf people living in the house.

If that occurs and a stranger strolls by and sees this sign. He might come up with an evil plan to take advantage of what deaf people doesn't have. Robbing the house soundless.

Oooh, that. I simply don't put a sign up front outside. They should use their common sense. If they see the doorbell there, then use it. If not, too bad. We won't be able to tell if they are here or not. They probably will think that we're not home. Also, good thing I have good neighborhood. :thumb: That counts.

Originally posted by ChelEler
Oooh, that. I simply don't put a sign up front outside. They should use their common sense. If they see the doorbell there, then use it. If not, too bad. We won't be able to tell if they are here or not. They probably will think that we're not home. Also, good thing I have good neighborhood. :thumb: That counts.

Yes a good neighborhood counts too. Many folks just come up and knock on the door instead of using the doorbells. I've noticed that an UPS delivery man usually knock instead of using my parents-in-law's doorbell.

I hate UPS they leave my packages at neighbors because they think I'm not home.

While i know you said you went camping wtih a bumbersticker that said something about you being deaf before, and got robbed... it does happen to us hearing people too. Its possible the people that did what they did didnt even see the sticker. Not even 2 months ago someone tried to break into my parents house, while they were inside sleeping. The dogs they have started jumping around and going nuts, and that scared them away, otherwise my parents likely wouldnt have heard anything

/\/\êg£àdôñ

Last time I had a bumper sticker that would give a clue that I was deaf....my camping equipment got vandalized. It happened when I was camping. My truck was parked to where people driving by would notice this bumper sticker. Many of my things were stolen too. My guess...whoever that thief was knew that I would be sleeping soundly.

We used to have those sticker looks like ear with slash across.. You can post anywhere.. on your car or house or etc.

but this deaf elder lady who resided in north area of MN, She have those stickers on her window... as she thought that its safe to let police/fire dept know.. but.. someone broke in her home few times but she didnt realized about sticker on window.. one of police finally told her to take it down.. after that.. it hasnt been breaking in.. poor her...

sticker on the car.. Umm.. I dont think its good idea...so.. Jamie.. dont forget that we have HUGE problem with Road Rage in MN lately... Think safety first.. :D

Originally posted by Soonersfan79
I hate UPS they leave my packages at neighbors because they think I'm not home.

How true.. we got some packages stolen last winter.. but nice of neighbors saw and reported.. then after that.. if we are not home.. neighbors took care of it. :) you can ask one of your neighbor?

Any ideas?
Dont use anything like that .. I have been living in apartment.. OMG .. alot people or kids have no respect for us.. they just sneak up and knocked.. and run off.. scare the shitless to our kids.. jeez..
I just.. put little post.. "please use this " with arrow pointing at the door bell.. (just for your info.. before install the door bell.. make sure its above your shoulder).. so the kids wont sneak up and play with it.. ) hehe

Originally posted by MsGiglz
How true.. we got some packages stolen last winter.. but nice of neighbors saw and reported.. then after that.. if we are not home.. neighbors took care of it. :) you can ask one of your neighbor?

u got a point -- a neighbor of mine does that when she knows ill prolly not know abt it and would move the package to the side door where i most often use to get in/out of the house -- but i have a habit of checking when im expecting packages -- but if UPS came to the door needing my signature that definately does create a problem and good thing my neighbor would tell the UPS person that im deaf and that she would sign for it and leave the package for me at the side door (shes done that a few times LOL)

this house doesnt have doorbell and in itself is a blessing for me when i want to avoid certain ppl coming to the door ie: solicitioners, missionaries (any faith but particularly those from LDS does come by sheesh), and other type ppl that really have no business being at the door in the first place -- let them *knocking at door* and standing there in the humidity or in the extreme cold for a good 5 minutes til they give up :lol:

Originally posted by Fly Free
u got a point -- a neighbor of mine does that when she knows ill prolly not know abt it and would move the package to the side door where i most often use to get in/out of the house -- but i have a habit of checking when im expecting packages -- but if UPS came to the door needing my signature that definately does create a problem and good thing my neighbor would tell the UPS person that im deaf and that she would sign for it and leave the package for me at the side door (shes done that a few times LOL)

this house doesnt have doorbell and in itself is a blessing for me when i want to avoid certain ppl coming to the door ie: solicitioners, missionaries (any faith but particularly those from LDS does come by sheesh), and other type ppl that really have no business being at the door in the first place -- let them *knocking at door* and standing there in the humidity or in the extreme cold for a good 5 minutes til they give up :lol:

:rofl: !!!!! good 5 mintues till they give up in the friggin shit humdity or friggin shit cold weather.. hehe

heheh MsGiglz yep yep! unless ofc if my neighbor happens to go outside and notice them and inform them that person in the house is deaf and will not answer the door :rofl: then they feel sucker for *knocking on door* in first place hahahah

I think its lame to think that theres a safety issue involved with getting this kind of bumper sticker. But what do I know, im a kid.

Annie - you speak of MN road rage? I dont see ford lovers breaking into a car that has a sticker with calvin pissing on ford. (apply this to anything calvin pisses on.)

Thats all im going to say.

How true.. we got some packages stolen last winter.. but nice of neighbors saw and reported.. then after that.. if we are not home.. neighbors took care of it. you can ask one of your neighbor?

It only happened once so far UPS left note say it was at neighbor so I go get it no prob but still piss me off bec never know if guy is honest.

Back