Bullying during or after education stages. Is it okay?

naisho

Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
Reaction score
There has been a lot of criticism and critiques regarding bullying towards deaf children. But there has never seemed to be a major topic covering bullying directly, and how it is viewed among the [D]eaf.

Wanted to see with the deaf community thinks about it. Of course, the typical answer would be that bullying is bad in any shape or form.

But little do we realize, sometimes bullying is what makes some people develop traits, take action, or makes people stronger. And this leads to fame for some people who take on their actions as a result of bullying.

What do you think?
Have a bully report to share, or results?

zero tolerance

I have two words for this type of approach...

ZERO TOLERANCE!

Whats point of being bullying?

I know what you mean diehardbiker, the ideology of the bullying side is pointless and it is only for personal gratification for the person who bullies.

What I'm focusing on is the kid who is being bullied, and how do they react. Sometimes they can develop positive or negative skills. Like, the experience will mentally train them for life for some. Makes them develop a "fight the bully, the enemy" attitude for some. Or it can have a negative effect of making them weaker. This is what I am wondering about.

In the 7th grade, I was bullied for an entire year. I never told anyone because i was too embarassed and scared that if i did, it would only get worse. So I just took it. Fortunately, by the time 8th grade rolled around it had stopped. Guess he got bored with me. I really hated that guy. :mad2: He was always in trouble with the teachers and getting kicked out for bad behavior. I wouldn't be suprised in the least if he were in prison somewhere. Good riddance.

I was bullied and it made me very hostile and quick to fight back.

This is not necessarily a positive trait.

I think that from my experience my knowledge of computers, IT and electronics would not have occurred as it did. As a part of a result of bullying during grade school, I became very personally involved in PC's and computers to free myself subconsciously from the stress, and "peer pressure" involved. Because I was able to find solitude and peace in there where other matters didn't concern how well you did in it.

If it wasn't for that guy, I'm not sure what would replace my computer expertise today. He is also one of the reasons for why I also have a degree in Sociology.

On a personality level, it made me fight the guy back. He even challenged me afterschool to the "back of the supermarket" to go for an all out brawl, I showed up, and he never did. The next day I asked him what's up. And he said I didn't show up (go figure). This was in 5th or 6th grade mind you.

I was bullied at school and it did me no good what so ever, just made me more shy and introverted.

I was bullied all through kindergarten to middle schoole by several different kids. I quickly became the social reject and still hold up to that name. I recently got voted by my classmates "sheepishly shy," and am trying my hardest to become at least a little outgoing, is this fair to the victim to have to put up with this? I never had any reason to be bullied but they singled me out anyway.

Dictionary.com said:
bul⋅ly1   /ˈbʊli/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [bool-ee] Show IPA noun, plural -lies, verb, -lied, -ly⋅ing, adjective, interjection
–noun 1. a blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people.
verb (used with object) 6. to act the bully toward; intimidate; domineer.

ter⋅ror⋅ism   /ˈtɛrəˌrɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ter-uh-riz-uhm] Show IPA
–noun 1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes.
2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

Though they have different extremeties are they really all that different?

There's always a war without end, no remorse, no repent. no remorse for the helpless. There is always sorrow. People bullied for no reason at all. Just because they control them doesn't mean they have the right to bullies everyone. Bullies don't have heart and the weak does. Only the one with the strong heart survives.

I was bullied at school and it did me no good what so ever, just made me more shy and introverted.

Indeed, I second that. I am one of them, as well... the bullying could cause more damage on self-esteem, too...

Bullying is not ok.

I will never think otherwise.

I can't think of a single example where bullying served someone good. I had a horrendous time in school with being bullied for years. It still sticks with me today. I don't dwell on it, but it really damaged my self-esteem back then.

It seems like naisho's getting at the idea of, "If you were bullied, would you be the same person today if you hadn't been bullied?" And whether you are happy with the person you are or not. I can see what you mean, naiso. I mean, obviously the idea of bullying is never a positive one, but maybe sometimes something good can rise up out of that situation?

I mean, personally I was never really bullied, but I do think that since I came out in high school, I've grown a lot as a person. Situations like that really make you see the world in a different way. I can see the reasoning behind not advocating bullying, but seeing that sometimes it can lead to something good, even if it itself isn't good at all.

I was so bullied by some classmates for years. I was not happy at that school. Some people were fucked up and ended up in the jail. I was a troublemaker as well because I was not happy, but I did not make anything worse. Eventually, I finally graduated from HS and never looked back ever since.

I don't know. I feel that being bullying is a very scary and very abuse from the bully. The bully have no respect on smaller or younger children even adults too. They might have copy from movies, or from one of their family members like if the bully was abused himself or herself. Most bullies are much more afraid than the weak or small people. It is the same with animals they are afraid too. For me, I have never been bully and I don't remember in the past if I went through it. No recollection.

So for your information, bullying is very bad and negative but I don't know if the bully change their behavior as the bully grows up. Some of them don't change if they did not learn anything about good behavior and show respect to people while others can change their perpectives. :hmm:

ive been bullied, more when i was a lot younger..never anything physical just mostly name calling, i can say it's made me a stronger person cuz now i just ignore crap and drama like that..but this is why I don't have a lottt of friends..just fewer close best friends and ppl i hang out with

Well it depends. When I was in boy scout, I was the only one who are deaf and have the interpreter with me all the times at every clubs we went. Other boys start to tease me about my deafness and they start to stand in circle with me in the middle, try to shout in my ear and I was scare.

But I talked with my parents and was crying, they told me that I need to find a way how to impress the group I was in so I decide to stay and became a little more aggressive, and the group ended up like me.

Sometimes people just like to judge and bully others, not only to the children, but also the adults as well. Both of the attacker and the victim just need to learn how to get along and get know about each other.

Back