Bulletproof backpack sales soar after Conn. school shooting

And (for those wondering) Yes, I have immediate knowledge - my dad was the teacher in the classroom where a student was shot and killed by another student right in front of him. My dad and his other students lived not because of "intervention" but because the gun jammed and the student fled.

It was all over in less than 2 mins - not enough time to "do" anything.

And (for those wondering) Yes, I have immediate knowledge - my dad was the teacher in the classroom where a student was shot and killed by another student right in front of him. My dad and his other students lived not because of "intervention" but because the gun jammed and the student fled.

I'm very sorry that your dad had to experience that. :(

yes kids that young have back packs. When my kids were elementary school though they had to have clear ones, at the first one they went to here in MB anyway. They built a new school and they didn't have to have them anymore. But anyway, for schools you have to have clear ones they couldn't even use them anyway. Those are really flimsy btw and get ripped real fast. But from the article said they are intended to be used as shields for when they are in "lockdown".

The kids would have to carry their backpacked to every class the gym,
and cafeteria . And the backpacks would need to right next the students at all time to use as shields . This idea is insane , it going to give the kids a false sense of security, a child may think it will be safe to run pass a shooter because they have their ' magic' backpack! I bet there will parents that will fall for this gimmick . And if the backpacks are made in China who what the Hell will be inside them to made them 'bulletproof'. Most likely lead!

oh boy, I can already see this.

Billy: Hey! My backpack is bullet proof! Punch it!
Sam: (Punches) Oww, it's so tough!
Ben: How do you know it's really bullet proof? Did you shoot it?
Billy: Well, no, but it's a backpack that's supposed to be
Sam: Hey, Billy didn't you say your dad has a gun? We could shoot the backpack to find out!

If you're paranoid enough to buy your kid a bullet proof backpack, maybe you should consider homeschooling instead.

Last edited:
In California law, All bulletproof vests and Armor vests are Prohibited during 1997 North Hollywood bank robbers used bulletproof vests for shootout against cops.. I don't know what about bulletproof backpack yet. Maybe, bank robbers want it?

Bulletproof Vests

According to California's Penal Code Section 12370, bulletproof vests and body armor may only be issued to those who have never been convicted of a violent felony, unless that person can prove a reasonable need for the body armor, e.g., he works as a bodyguard and only uses the body armor at that time. If a convicted felon is found wearing a bulletproof vest when he does not lawfully need to, or if anybody is caught wearing one during the commission of a crime, he is guilty of an additional felony violation.

Read more: California Gun and Bulletproof Vest Laws | eHow.com California Gun and Bulletproof Vest Laws | eHow.com

Penal Code

The California Penal Code Section 12370 prohibits a person that has been convicted of a violent felony under any state or federal law from owning, purchasing or possessing body armor. A violation of this statute is a felony punishable by up to three years in prison.

Read more: Laws on Body Armor in California | eHow.com Laws on Body Armor in California | eHow.com

In California law, All bulletproof vests and Armor vests are Prohibited during 1997 North Hollywood bank robbers used bulletproof vests for shootout against cops.. I don't know what about bulletproof backpack yet. Maybe, bank robbers want it?

I want you to write a letter to state senator and tell them to pass to make CCW and open carry legal in California.

Oh wait, they will say no so nevermind. :lol:

Bulletproof backpacks? The ones that are carried on the back? What about front of the body or head? Actually they are useless.

I'm very sorry that your dad had to experience that. :(

Thanks Reba - so am I. It was horrible.

I'm fortunate that I wasn't there that day - apparently I was suppose to be visiting one of the classes and things changed the day before so I wasn't there.

omg your poor dad or rather your dad was very lucky man... some say god was watching him that day,but i think it luck, if there was a god then those little children still be alive today.
if american intent on gun law 5th ammendment etc then maybe should be refused a licence if anyone under 25 living in the house and police come check house on regular basis plus you have to live in a radius of at least twenty miles from a school and have good reason to own a gun like a farmer or cop....better still a law no guns.
my brother american and he thinks americans rights have freedom carry gun and no understand why much of the world disagree.

I think bullet proof doors would be a better solution. If you think about it, most companies have electronic key card access to rooms. I think it might be better to have key card access to classrooms. It's not like people are supposed to be walking in and out of class just like people are not supposed to be walking in and out of work.

Bulletproof backpacks? The ones that are carried on the back? What about front of the body or head? Actually they are useless.

people tend to get shot in the back when running away from a shooter. a few get shot in the head.

I think bullet proof doors would be a better solution. If you think about it, most companies have electronic key card access to rooms. I think it might be better to have key card access to classrooms. It's not like people are supposed to be walking in and out of class just like people are not supposed to be walking in and out of work.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and kids circulate classrooms several times a day.

Thanks Reba - so am I. It was horrible.

I'm fortunate that I wasn't there that day - apparently I was suppose to be visiting one of the classes and things changed the day before so I wasn't there.
Oh, wow! :shock:

The weird thing is, in the olden days when I attended school we had no computer technology, so all our learning was from books, yet we didn't need backpacks. Now, with "paperless" technology, the kids carry more books than ever.

Last edited:
Honestly - the "solution" to this type of violence isn't bulletproof windows, door, backpacks, arming teachers, putting police in schools.

The "solution" is having highly accessible, free and compassionate, individual based mental health services available to ANYONE and ANYTIME (regardless of money, race, religion, if they're even a citizen of the country or not).

If people make mental health a priority, then by that single step you prevent almost all of these situations.

It's expensive, but it saves lives and creates a much stronger, healthier country as a whole ... and that should be "worth it" to anyone living there.

people tend to get shot in the back when running away from a shooter. a few get shot in the head.

Yeah what if the students are in school and that desks what good will a bulletproof package do then?? Someone saw this as way to made money, use people fear to get them to buy a useless product. Parents will do anything to try and keep their child safe and this is giving people a false sense of security.
It would be smarter for all parents to pool their money together and hire policemen to be at their child(ren) school . Or get their state to do it. People are throwing their money away.

Yeah what if the students are in school and that desks what good will a bulletproof package do then?? Someone saw this as way to made money, use people fear to get them to buy a useless product. Parents will do anything to try and keep their child safe and this is giving people a false sense of security.
It would be smarter for all parents to pool their money together and hire policemen to be at their child(ren) school . Or get their state to do it. People are throwing their money away.

There was a police officer on duty during the Columbine massacre. His name is Deputy Neil Gardner. just you know, saying.

really? parents pooling in money together to hire a police officer? let's see.... salary + benefits + pension... a police officer in my old town where I went to high school... the average salary is around $100,000 - $120,000 a year.

so parents pooling in together to hire one... wonder how much they can come up with... $2,000? lol!

Surely, it's all about profits for the businesses while actually those items are a waste of money for parents. I haven't seen one yet but I wonder if it would be too heavy for children. Oh, well...

The high school from which my kids graduated has tall wired fences around it with sliding gates that get unlocked at the beginning and end of a school day to let the students in and out respectively, however the front office is accessible. There are three security guards but they don't carry a gun and neither guard the office. I still feel it's unsafe.

I'm not surprised that NRA favor gun manufacturers over gun owners so they will against on ANY TYPE of laws that put restriction on guns, even ban on people with mentally ill or require a background check, however in Arizona, it is easy for people with mentally ill to buy guns without perform a background check.

I don't blame on people who are NRA members, especially Jiro because they are unaware about transparency of NRA interest. I support second amendment but NRA made too far to move.

Back