Brown Rice (Just 4 Info)

I personally like Basmati rice. I dislike the brown rice because the rice stick together. I was told that the brown rice have better nutrients. I assume that all white rices are eliminated the nutrients during the bleach process at the factory. My mother told me that a ready cooked rice in the package is worst ...I am not sure why it is bad. Actually, I am trying to think myself to eat the brown rice somehow because I can't stand the sticky rice.

Brown rice as sticky? Perhaps some oil would help.

Then again, I rarely see brown rice as sticky, how do you cook em to make them that way?

Wirelessly posted

webexplorer said:
I personally like Basmati rice. I dislike the brown rice because the rice stick together. I was told that the brown rice have better nutrients. I assume that all white rices are eliminated the nutrients during the bleach process at the factory. My mother told me that a ready cooked rice in the package is worst ...I am not sure why it is bad. Actually, I am trying to think myself to eat the brown rice somehow because I can't stand the sticky rice.

They don't bleach the rice. They mill it to dehull the brown husk off the rice.

Some kinds of rice have more nutrients than others, right? This is more of a statement than a question, tho.....

Wirelessly posted

Well, most of the nutrients are found on the husks of most grains out there.

That I can believe. I was reminded of the Peace Treaty with Japan. On the Allied side, one of the things they were to do is provide Japan with a certain amount of rice for a length of time. In about six months' time, it was realized that the people were getting undernourished (rice being such a huge & important staple in their diet) from the rice that they were sending and after some research, I guess, they came up with a better, more nutritious version and sent that.....

I like wild rice the best but I normally eat mostly brown rice and sometimes white rice when I'm in a hurry to eat dinner. I will make a week's worth of rice and eat that.

I'm trying to decide which rice to try next - this depends on what dishes I want to try next and on how much storage space I have. I've eaten several different kinds of rice in restruants but never at home. I wonder how they'd turn out if I cook them.

Some kinds of rice have more nutrients than others, right? This is more of a statement than a question, tho.....

that's if you're referring to GM-rice :)

I like brown rice and we eat mostly white rice. Finances dictate what I buy and it's usually the cheap Great Value brand from WalMart. My daughter will not eat brown rice. She just doesn't like the flavor and since she's picky about the color, if I buy a different brand, she still will not eat it. I make chicken with yellow rice a lot and she won't eat the yellow rice. I have to make a small batch of white rice for her.

I've never used a rice cooker. I have always done it on the stove top and it's mostly good. Sometimes, it's sticky, but my father said that was better for the chopsticks. He got addicted to eating with chopsticks while in Japan during the Korean Conflict.

If the white rice is sticky, you could put a small amount of plain yogurt in the rice and mix them in the bowl. It looks much better. I mean after you cook the rice. ;)

I had a rice cooker in college and used it all the time. I eat brown rice and also eat wild rice, though technically that's a grass. I also like the more novel varieties of rice available where I am like the red, etc, but I've never made those.

If the white rice is sticky, you could put a small amount of plain yogurt in the rice and mix them in the bowl. It looks much better. I mean after you cook the rice. ;)

Only problem with that, my daughter would not touch it, and I couldn't eat it due to the lactose.

A short time ago I had lunch in a Chinese joint, and several cooks gathered in the corner with a huge bowl of plain white rice and a platter of pork chops. They ate them with gusto, joking among themselves and looked to be in great shape. Just saying.

I want a rice cooker. Hopefully someday.

Also, someday I want to make onigiri. But it only works if you can find dried seaweed and making rice very sticky.

Back