Breaking News! CNN announces Osama Bin Laden is Dead !

The wars weren't just to find OBL.
The wars were to find Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden... to cut head of snake...

What did the Europeans learn from two world wars? Wait for the Americans to pull their bacon out of the fire?
:lol:

that it's silly and bad for all to engage in ugly, costly wars over something. and that things can be resolved diplomatically if possible.

Look at the terrorism time line since the 1960's up to 9/11.
oh I was thinking of 9/11 to now. One can say - "well look - since we've been using disproportionate use of force... there has been zero terrorist attack on American soil since 9/11".

....but at what cost? our liberty? couple of our Constitutional rights?

One more thing - in the past, it was more of domestic terrorism than foreign terrorism.

That's been way more than 20 years.
exactly. It's time for Israelis to stop using disproportionate use of force. It's not working.

Sure they have. Plenty of other countries have been the victims of terrorist attacks, without declaring a worldwide "war on terror". The wide-reaching an vague "war on terror" is what I mean by "obsessed", just as the "war on drugs" previously is/was.
I know other countries have been victimized by terrorism. But as far as declaring a worldwide war on terror, perhaps many of these countries simply don't have the resources. And like it or not, the US is seen as a leader in global politics. If the US didn't try to bring all of its available resources to bear against terrorism, who else would? What other countries have the resources necessary?

Some might see the actions of the US as obsession, others might see it as obligation.

The wars were to find Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden... to cut head of snake...
That's part of it.

that it's silly and bad for all to engage in ugly, costly wars over something. and that things can be resolved diplomatically if possible.
So, the US should have talked to the Japanese after Pearl Harbor?

Europe should have just talked with the Nazis?

China should have talked with the Japanese after the Rape of Nanking?

Neville Chamberlain discovered, the hard way, that talk doesn't always work.

That's part of it.

So, the US should have talked to the Japanese after Pearl Harbor?

Europe should have just talked with the Nazis?

China should have talked with the Japanese after the Rape of Nanking?

no no - I'm talking about present time after World War I/II, Nazis, Rape of Nanking, and Pearl Harbor happened. Now the time is very different and nothing is blurry anymore. We all know exactly who is #1 and #2 and the world knows what we're capable of.

No need to repeat our historical messes (meaning - another World War or Vietnam War).... We were supposed to learn from our ancestors and do better.

I know other countries have been victimized by terrorism. But as far as declaring a worldwide war on terror, perhaps many of these countries simply don't have the resources. And like it or not, the US is seen as a leader in global politics. If the US didn't try to bring all of its available resources to bear against terrorism, who else would? What other countries have the resources necessary?

Some might see the actions of the US as obsession, others might see it as obligation.

Except that the rest of the world didn't ask or necessarily want the US to play unilateral global terrorism police. (This is also all ignoring the entire point of terrorism, namely "to instill fear in a people", which is exactly what declaring a global "war on terror" rather than merely working to bring those responsible for 9/11 to justice succeeded in doing - making a population scared shitless.)

That's because the British and French had intels the Soviets or Nazis were planning to invade each others. The Brits were still sore they didn't get their cut of the prize when backing the White Russians didn't work for them during the Civil War. No one thought that Stalin waited to move all the factories eastward before preparing for war. They honestly thought Stalin would had invaded Nazi Germany first.

Talk all you want about the cons of appeasements, but at least reveal why the Brits did what they did.

I am ashamed to admit I have no idea what y'all are talking about now....I know what I will be reading about at B&N tonight though.

With respect for their right to their world view even though it is opposite.
Even if that world view includes the belief that all infidels, especially Western ones, must be killed, and the Western way of life should be destroyed?

Even if that world view includes the belief that all infidels, especially Western ones, must be killed, and the Western way of life should be destroyed?

Like I said, by showing respect of their right to hold their world view even when it oppposes your own.

Like I said, by showing respect of their right to hold their world view even when it oppposes your own.
So, when they attack "infidels" and Western society we should respect that?

Usually that view is a byproduct of unduly heavy Western influence in their area, rather than a defining characteristic. If we show respect for the underlying culture, then they will be less driven to hate us and want us dead.

So, when we attack "ragheads" and all their neighbors, should they respect that?
Really, we are getting awfully close to lumping all Muslims together.

So, when we attack "ragheads" and all their neighbors, should they respect that?
Really, we are getting awfully close to lumping all Muslims together.
I don't lump all Muslims together. I consider the ones who want all infidels dead to be a threat.

I didn't say we should attack "ragheads" (I never used that term) and all their neighbors (I assume you mean non-"ragheads," as you call them).

I did say that Islamic terrorists who attack America or Americans shouldn't expect us to simply say, "Oh, that's their culture, and we should respect that."

They should expect retaliation. Isn't that also in their culture?

I was responding to this.

Really, they are a minority, but judging from our almost-genocidal response, you would not think so.

Back