Breaking News! CNN announces Osama Bin Laden is Dead !

A Muslim friend once told me that only Americans think that bombing without regard to collateral damage is not terrorism. Somehow she's got a point.
Just because collateral damage happens doesn't mean Americans have no regard for the casualties.

What does your Muslim friend say about Muslims who intentionally target civilians to get the maximum casualty count?

Just because collateral damage happens doesn't mean Americans have no regard for the casualties.

What does your Muslim friend say about Muslims who intentionally target civilians to get the maximum casualty count?

She abhors it. She also abhors the prevalence of drones dropping bombs into car convoys to take out one or two terrorists.

She abhors it. She also abhors the prevalence of drones dropping bombs into car convoys to take out one or two terrorists.

hence "Disproportionate Use of Force"

If the allies didn't have to worry about IED's they wouldn't have to depend so much on drones.

Which came first? The terror attack or the attack on the terrorists?

If the allies didn't have to worry about IED's they wouldn't have to depend so much on drones.

Tsk tsk. You mean the inside job of 9-11?

The rest of the world isn't nearly as obsessed with terrorism as the US currently is, nor would they all necessarily agree on who is a terrorist.
The rest of the world hasn't been targeted the same ways. And even if they were, do they have the means to do what the US has done? What defines the US as "obsessed" as you put it? That we had an agenda to seek retribution for the thousands killed in the 9-11 attack and the other atrocities perpetuated against us by OBL?

Tsk tsk. You mean the inside job of 9-11?
No. There was no inside job. I mean the Islamic terrorists who've been attacking the USA and our allies for decades. Of course, the 9/11 attack was the worst.

How do you win the hearts and minds of people who have an opposing world view?

For starter, we'll have to stop using "Disproportionate Use of Force"... because collateral damage breeds more terrorists. I believe a significant portion of fighters in terrorist groups do not believe in nor care about the terrorist group's agenda. They are neither political nor religious. They are just a bunch of simple commoners with moms, dads, brothers, sisters, daughters, sons, etc.

Now if we keep using disproportionate use of force... a common enemy is all they have in common with "real" terrorists and the terrorist group is there to facilitate whatever they need to get their revenge on.

Look at Israel. How's it going so far? It's been what? over 20 years? I'm still wondering when will they realize "enough is enough"? :dunno:

No. There was no inside job. I mean the Islamic terrorists who've been attacking the USA and our allies for decades. Of course, the 9/11 attack was the worst.

There is overwhelming evidence it was.

our action was far far far greater than their action. that has been my issue for a while. It's unbelievable that we've spent trillions of dollars so far just to find Osama bin Laden....

If we keep doing like this for terrible terrorist attacks on our soil.... then this is how we will have our downfall... Europeans know better not to response in that kind of manner because... I mean of course... learning from two World Wars and some...

For starter, we'll have to stop using "Disproportionate Use of Force"... because collateral damage breeds more terrorists. I believe a significant portion of fighters in terrorist groups do not believe in nor care about the terrorist group's agenda. They are neither political nor religious. They are just a bunch of simple commoners with moms, dads, brothers, sisters, daughters, sons, etc.

Now if we keep using disproportionate use of force... a common enemy is all they have in common with "real" terrorists and the terrorist group is there to facilitate whatever they need to get their revenge on.
Suppose they view that as weakness?

We didn't attack them full force at the beginning, in fact, we hardly did anything in return. Yet, they increased the terrorism. How do you explain that?

Look at Israel. How's it going so far? It's been what? over 20 years? I'm still wondering when will they realize "enough is enough"? :dunno:
What's been over 20 years?

Suppose they view that as weakness?

We didn't attack them full force at the beginning, in fact, we hardly did anything in return. Yet, they increased the terrorism. How do you explain that?
increased terrorism? Forgive me but can you list a few incidents?

What's been over 20 years?
Israel-Palestine (and Arabs) conflict

The rest of the world hasn't been targeted the same ways. And even if they were, do they have the means to do what the US has done? What defines the US as "obsessed" as you put it? That we had an agenda to seek retribution for the thousands killed in the 9-11 attack and the other atrocities perpetuated against us by OBL?

Sure they have. Plenty of other countries have been the victims of terrorist attacks, without declaring a worldwide "war on terror". The wide-reaching an vague "war on terror" is what I mean by "obsessed", just as the "war on drugs" previously is/was.

The worldwide implications of what's been done in the name of the "war on terror" (which largely had very little to do with 9/11, other than as a "go to war free" pass). In the current moment, yes, most of the world agrees that we are and were justified in bringing OBL to justice. But the damage to our worldwide reputation had been done a while ago, and taking steps to repair it is still a good thing.

There is overwhelming evidence it was.

What. Seriously? That's just plain silly.

our action was far far far greater than their action. that has been my issue for a while. It's unbelievable that we've spent trillions of dollars so far just to find Osama bin Laden....
The wars weren't just to find OBL.

If we keep doing like this for terrible terrorist attacks on our soil.... then this is how we will have our downfall... Europeans know better not to response in that kind of manner because... I mean of course... learning from two World Wars and some...
What did the Europeans learn from two world wars? Wait for the Americans to pull their bacon out of the fire?

Back