break-ins and gun ownership

my step-dad shared something with me he learned long ago. if someone breaks into your home but does it without leaving any evidence of a break-in, i.e. if you accidentally left a door unlocked or a window open, just kill them, break a window somewhere and voila! problem solved. they've "broken and entered" and they can't sue. :rofl:
Or live in a state (like I do) where people have the right to defend themselves on or in their own property. In some places it's called the "Castle doctrine". That is, a man's home is his castle, and he has the right to defend it. In some states, that includes the person's home, RV, occupied vehicle, or business.

... you're telling me no one has ever robbed a home? you've never heard of people getting robbed and/or killed in their home? what about when burglars break into a home and find that people are home when they didn't expect it?
You're right. That does happen more often now. Home invasions are also increasing, in urban and suburban areas.

the 870 is a classic alright. it's sleek. it's sexy. it's sturdy. it's ready to be engraved, oiled and mounted for display.

(i feel like this turned into a Remington ad)

my mom has been in a relationship with a Texan gun nut for 16 years. he has literally about 50 guns. he even has at least one full-auto Uzi that i know about and God knows how many other illegal, automatic assault weapons that he hasn't registered. but she absolutely refuses to allow a gun in her house. i'll take "hypocrites" for $500, Alex!

right now my gun is sitting in his safe. i'm worried about this. the last time he wanted to open his safe, he couldn't remember the combination for a week. and he probably has 4 or 5 other 12 gauge Remington 870's so i don't know if i'll even be able to tell which is mine when i do take it back.
Can you get one of those small handgun safes? If you get that, install it securely, and lock up your gun when you're not home, maybe your mom would feel more inclined to let you bring it home.

You can tell which one is your gun. Check the serial number (if your mom's friend hasn't filed it off). He doesn't sound like good news, so you might not want to leave your gun with him for legal reasons. It could end up getting confiscated.

Oops! I've been reading your posts out of sequence. You don't have a hand gun. Sorry about that.

Our first house was broken into twice, over 20 years ago. We weren't home, and only a few small things were taken (what does that say about the material things we own--not worth stealing, ha, ha).

Our current house has motion detecting lights. I don't know how much deterance they are but no one has broken in yet. If they do while we're home, we have "protection". When we leave the house, we lock our gun safe, which is not in a conspicuous place.

Personally, I would get a gun...and may God have mercy on the dumbass who try to break in my house. Don't worry about if the gun has three bullets instead of five, because honey...one bullet is all I need.

lol, good one :P

And speaking of that beautiful Remington 870, I don't see it as being effective to wield something that long in the confines of a house which is why I suggested that short 410 shotgun. You have the choice with something like this if you're skilled: To maim, to scare, or to be lethal. I may not be up on the laws here in CA but 20-25 years ago, Gemco (kinda like today's Costco) was selling them, mainly for protection from the local mountain rattlers.

But let's ask Reba about a handgun vs this snake charmer as it relates using them in the confines of a house under most conditions (dark vs lighted rooms, etc)........

About lead shot:

"Lead shot was banned for waterfowl hunting in the United States in 1991 and in southwestern British Columbia in 1990 (Wilson et al., 1998) because of documented deleterious effects on waterfowl, raptors, and other wildlife (Scheuhammer and Norris, 1996). Lead shot is still legal for upland game hunting in most areas of the United States and Canada, as well as for trap shooting and training of hunting dogs."
EPIDEMIOLOGIC INVESTIGATION OF LEAD POISONING IN TRUMPETER AND TUNDRA SWANS IN WASHINGTON STATE, USA, 2000-2002 -- Degernes et al. 42 (2): 345 -- Journal of Wildlife Diseases

(Same is true for many other countries, including England, Wales, Scotland, Spain, and Norway.)

...But let's ask Reba about a handgun vs this snake charmer as it relates using them in the confines of a house under most conditions (dark vs lighted rooms, etc)........
I'm no expert; we should ask Chase.

In general, I would say that it's mostly personal preference. There are pros and cons for each situation, and many variables. Layout of the house, skill and confidence of the shooter, composition of the family, etc.

On TV I once saw an interview with a pharmacist who scared off a crook with office equipment. He didn't have a gun but he was out of sight of the crook, so he slid the piece of equipment back and forth to sound like a shot gun clicking. The crook ran away. :rofl:

About lead shot:

"Lead shot was banned for waterfowl hunting in the United States in 1991 and in southwestern British Columbia in 1990 (Wilson et al., 1998) because of documented deleterious effects on waterfowl, raptors, and other wildlife (Scheuhammer and Norris, 1996). Lead shot is still legal for upland game hunting in most areas of the United States and Canada, as well as for trap shooting and training of hunting dogs."
EPIDEMIOLOGIC INVESTIGATION OF LEAD POISONING IN TRUMPETER AND TUNDRA SWANS IN WASHINGTON STATE, USA, 2000-2002 -- Degernes et al. 42 (2): 345 -- Journal of Wildlife Diseases

(Same is true for many other countries, including England, Wales, Scotland, Spain, and Norway.)

That's right, Reba; they use steel shot now....

Elderly Des Moines woman shoots at intruder early today
An 89-year-old Des Moines woman this morning fired a .22 caliber handgun at a man who bashed in the front door of her east side house.

Beatrice Turner said the man pounded on her door at about 5:30 a.m. She said she tried to tell the man he had the wrong house.

The man, 37-year-old Nelson McAlpine, apparently broke the glass in the door and then used his fists to break through the wood door.

Turner said she grabbed a handgun and cautioned the intruder that she would shoot if he came inside.

Turner told police the man broke into her house and she fired a single shot at him.

A neighbor called police and officers were dispatched to the house, located near Hiatt Middle School.

When police arrived, they found McAlpine of 1363 E. 15th St., in Des Moines, standing on the lawn outside of Turner's house. He was arrested on a charge of second-degree burglary.

Officers said McAlpine told them he had been using drugs and didn't know where he was.

Police took McAlpine to Broadlawns Medical Center to make sure he had not been hit with a bullet. After it was determined he had not been shot, McAlpine was taken to Polk County Jail.

He is being held on $10,000 bond.
Elderly Des Moines woman shoots at intruder early today | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

Never had a home break-in personally, but my in-laws have had their garage broken into and all their salt water fishing equipment was stolen. Over $5000 worth of stuff. None was ever recovered, but since hubby and his father didn't do salt water fishing any longer it was no great loss. They had to replace the side door. They had motion sensitive lights all around the garage, and we know who did it, but there is no proof. We now have steel doors for the back and side, hurricane shutters on the windows that lock with a key and new garage doors (3) that each take a different key and are hurricane ready. They lock to the ground with a padlock. The motion sensitive light have been upgraded with lights and cameras. All videos are recorded to a CD and we change the CD monthly. 3 vehicles are parked tight against each of the bay doors and hubby pulls in behind one of them when he comes home at 2am. The neighbor's who we think broke in already have their fence on the boundary line of the yard. We added one of our own and with Sheriff's Department permission, we have barbed wire across the top. Then fence is 8 feet high. The neighbor's wood fence is only 5 feet.

I've been reading through the threads and was wondering how you get a gun license in America, in England the rules are quite strict. Kevin.

Never had a home break-in personally, but my in-laws have had their garage broken into and all their salt water fishing equipment was stolen. Over $5000 worth of stuff. None was ever recovered, but since hubby and his father didn't do salt water fishing any longer it was no great loss. They had to replace the side door. They had motion sensitive lights all around the garage, and we know who did it, but there is no proof. We now have steel doors for the back and side, hurricane shutters on the windows that lock with a key and new garage doors (3) that each take a different key and are hurricane ready. They lock to the ground with a padlock. The motion sensitive light have been upgraded with lights and cameras. All videos are recorded to a CD and we change the CD monthly. 3 vehicles are parked tight against each of the bay doors and hubby pulls in behind one of them when he comes home at 2am. The neighbor's who we think broke in already have their fence on the boundary line of the yard. We added one of our own and with Sheriff's Department permission, we have barbed wire across the top. Then fence is 8 feet high. The neighbor's wood fence is only 5 feet.
Oh, my! That's terrible when you can't even trust your neighbors. :(

I've been reading through the threads and was wondering how you get a gun license in America, in England the rules are quite strict. Kevin.
In each of the 50 states, and the District of Columbia, the procedure is different. There is no one American law for buying guns.

In each of the 50 states, and the District of Columbia, the procedure is different. There is no one American law for buying guns.

and there should be :mad2:

and there should be :mad2:
But which state's laws would you want?

What if we got stuck with California's laws?

Which do you prefer, New Jersey or South Carolina laws?

That's the problem. Which set of laws would prevail?

But which state's laws would you want?

What if we got stuck with California's laws?

Which do you prefer, New Jersey or South Carolina laws?

That's the problem. Which set of laws would prevail?

1 law - Amendment 2 - Right to keep and bear arms and it shall not be infringed - an unalienable individual right. but this rights does not apply for criminals

1 law - Amendment 2 - Right to keep and bear arms and it shall not be infringed - an unalienable individual right. but this rights does not apply for criminals
So there is still a need to filter out the criminals at the point of purchase.

Back