brand spankin' new . . .

markishh

Reaction score
greetings one and all,

i'm brand spankin' new to alldeaf, and i look forward to being a member.

i've been hard of hearing all my existence on this orb called earth. when i was a wee bit of a lad, i was literally in my own little world since i just couldn't understand what in tarnation anyone was saying. oh, yes, my parents thought i was the villiage idiot; however, an observant teacher thought otherwise. she "suggested to my parents that i have my hearing tested, and, voila, turns out i'm hoh. i was taught how to speechread when i was very young, and that has been how i communicate with those in the hearing world. i visited my speech therapist a while ago, and she said to me, "you guess a lot don't you?!?!" ma'am, i responded, when you have had as much practice as i, you kind of get the hang of it. i was a teacher/administrator by profession, and sometimes a student would come up to me and speak spanish just to see my reaction. oh, the lil' darlins'.

i was mainstreamed before the term was made popular. i didn't learn asl until a good and kind gent i worked with began communicating with me. took formal asl classes at the university. i'm always looking to improve my communication skills, 'specially since what hearing i have is diminishing as time rolls on.

well, that's my bit for now. i look forward to participating here. any advice, thoughts, suggestions, feedback, food, and blinkies that you can share will be greatly 'preciated. bye for now.

Last edited:
Welcome to AD!!!! Rest assured, you'll find this site full of helpful advices and suggestions in general and entertaining as well! Enjoy! :thumb:

Back