born hearing and received a ci. ci friendly pease

Regarding IQ, that is hardly related to speech / sign.
Full scale yes..........Verbal no......a verbal IQ measures language mastery. Research has indicated that dhh kids tend to have low verbal IQs......that includes oral kids.That's proof that they don't have supeior language skills,, but are just really good at going "boo-be-bah"
Oral kids may be OK with articualtion and vocab, BUT even with intensive therapy, they are still significently behind with grammar and syntax. Like it's very common for an oral kid to say something like "How many spiders have legs?" as opposed to "How many legs do spiders have?"
Do you see what I'm getting at now?
I agree that when the childs wants communication also with sign, then the parents should definitely do an affort to accomodate for this.
And it is hard to learn a second language, at leat, to learn it fluently. The problem arises when the child learns the language and wants to keep using it. It will be in a lot of contact with sign, so the learning goes fast due to age and exposure. The parents will have problems because they are older and less exposed.
I see what you're saying there! But I think that a kid can understand the concept of different modes of communication/ code switching for different times and events. Like I think if they are allowed to Sign at home, they could understand that they shouldn't sign at oral school. And the learning going fast, ALSO is applicaible to a second language. If equal amounts of time are spent on Sign and speech, there's no reason why a kid couldn't become fluent in both modes of communication......It would be really interesting to see how kids enrolled in bilingal (spoken) language classes, become fluent in two languages.

Greema, you are more than welcome to go to CID with me some day. I go to school with her everyday except for 5 days per month. I have to work those five days. Other than those days, I'm there. When I work 11pm-7am, I go to CID and stay there for an hour or two. I then go home and go to bed. I have to get some sleep during the day while my wife is at work.
Let me know if you want to go to school woth lilly and I. Every class has an observation window and a sound system so you can sit and watch class the entire day. 9am-12pm. She has speech for about 10-20 minutes per day, thay also have an observation room and sound system so you can see whats going on.

Oh, check your mail.

Greema, you are more than welcome to go to CID with me some day. I go to school with her everyday except for 5 days per month. I have to work those five days. Other than those days, I'm there. When I work 11pm-7am, I go to CID and stay there for an hour or two. I then go home and go to bed. I have to get some sleep during the day while my wife is at work.
Let me know if you want to go to school woth lilly and I. Every class has an observation window and a sound system so you can sit and watch class the entire day. 9am-12pm. She has speech for about 10-20 minutes per day, thay also have an observation room and sound system so you can see whats going on.

Oh, check your mail.

Oh, I really would LOVE to go with you and Lilly! I'll check my mail and send you a reply! :ty:

Back