Bill: No snacks for food stamp users

My first job was popcorn girl at a movie theatre - soda is just syrup and carbonated water. One of my tasks was to hook up big plastic tubs filled with soda syrup to the drink machine. You can make your own soda. Maybe look up recipes on the net for soda syrup.

I often buy club soda and mix it with my juice to cut down the sugar content.

Seltzer water and club soda are less expensive than soda and you can add ruit juices to it for a "soda". I use lemon and lime juice in seltzer water and get a drink almost like Sprite with less sugar and for a lot less money. I feed my family of 5 (that includes 2 teenagers) on $140 a week. That's a little high, but I still have to pack a lunch for hubby, and hubby and I have special dietary needs. I also have to make sure mother has certain things. When she applied for Food Stamps, she only got $16 a month and they would only let her have them for 6 months, then dropped her. When we first moved to Florida and applied for food stamps, I got approved and got $200 a month. They dropped me and the family after 3 months. I wasn't worried since it didn't go far enough and hubby got a job. Not much of one, but at least he is working.

$140 is not too bad, I know a family of seven and they spend an average of at least $1,300 a month on food. It's probably at least $1,500 by now. I think they spend way too much on food.

Im with you 100% on that. And besides you cant make Pepsi Max. Just like you cant make ur own beer nether. You know how hard it is to make beer? Look how the brewery makes beer

How It's Made: Beer - YouTube

How Sodas are made
how its made s5 ep11- soft drinks - YouTube

Its a Process a long process.

No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. You are posting links of commercial-scale brewing. I am talking about homebrewing. Youtube "homebrew" and see what turns up.

I make my own beer. I make 10 gallon batches (that's equivalent to about 110 bottles of beer) for 45$ because I buy supplies in bulk. I could get the cost even lower if I grew my own hops and saved my yeast cultures. If I did that, the total cost would fall to around 30$. And this is premium, excellent quality beer.

120$ can get you a starter kit with all the equipment and ingredients you need. Your first batch of beer that will produce 50 bottles. All you really need is water and a stove. Batch of ingredients from then on will be about 35$ for 5 gallons. As in all consumables, when you buy in bulk, you will save more money.

All i ask is between $100-$150 a month to make ends meet because my bills and food prices have gone up. Not to mention Sales taxes is making things expensive just like the Gas Tax is doing to a gallon of gasolene. So tell me whats the loophole around paying Sales taxes on sodas? This is why i have to Re-Elect Obama because if he can get the DOJ to knock down Floridas law on you cant use Sodas on food stamps just like he got the DOJ to knock down South Carrolinas voter ID law.

Soda is a want not a need.

Yes, the prices of bills and food prices have gone up - for everyone.

You are worried about being able to buy soda? Food Stamps was made for people who were worried about going hungry. If you are only worried about buying soda - maybe you don't need Food Stamps at all. Drink water instead, or make instant tea - you can make a crapload for $4

If I work for my money and I can't afford soda, I don't really agree that Food Stamps should give others soda using my tax money.

Wrong ! The food stamps program was started to help farmers. Farmers where having a hard time and the government came up with the food stamps program to get more people to buy more food from farmers.

I think the internet should be a tax deduction for hoh/deaf citizens.

I had Comcast take over my telephone service and I asked them before they came to my house if I would lose my internet as it was on Verizon line. Comcast told I would not lose my internet . And I did! I was so pissed off! I called Comcast and told that I am HOH and they shut of my commutation to my famliy and friends as they some time find it easier to 'talk' to me by e mails.
Comcast paid me back all the money I paid as they realize I was right . I did tell Verizon I should get a discount on my internet service because I am HOH and use it to communicate to my famliy and friends a lot. I can't wait until my granddaughter is able to send me emails as I have a real hard understanding her on the phone.

Come to think of it, I blame the baby boomers for everything.

I am a baby boomer and I raise my daughter on a vegetarian diet and made all her baby food . I made my own granola, pizzas and candy for my child.
She did not get any junk food , we had no sodas or chips of any kinds in the the house. My child only got candy on a special occasion.

Come to think of it, I blame the baby boomers for everything.

Well almost everything. I got in the faces of my Mom and Dad because of Social Security. I told them it was their generation that allow Congress to borrow left and right from S.S.to where today S.S. is one huge mess.
As I've said before, once you get that snowball rolling down the hill it is almost impossible to stop it. Someone had to start it.

Not understanding here....what's a big, strapping, muscular guy, who threatens to knock people out cold...and seemingly in good health, able to work and find a job....applying for food stamps?....Even asking for "extra help?"....

Knowing you live with Mom & Dad also....(and in your 30's...no baby here!)....no bills....(but stated once that you had "bad credit")....so, more than likely, you were given the opportunity to buy something, then you refused to pay for it!.....sleep late....watch a lot of ball games....are able to go out and spend money on junk foods....and still want the government to give you food stamps and extra help?...In my opinion, that's a sorry excuse for a man.....

Listen here... before you make an ass out of yourself again, look up Extra Help... it's a program to help people save money... get a clue. I dont know why you're obsessed with my life...it's scary and I might have to cancel my account here. Nothin wrong livin a peaceful life... :mad:

What we need is World War III. For those didnt remember the great depresson my granny told me all about those days. She didnt live that bad like other lived. When she was young had my dad when he was a little boy She lived in Charleston WVA. When my Grand dad got the pink slip got laid off they wouldnt paying off their morgage. They couldnt barely make ends meet.Then all the suddan after Peral Harbor news My grand dad got drafted into the Army he fought the japs in the pacific islands. My Grandmother had an Job offer in Baltimore Md. Making beer at the National Brewing company.She sold her home bought a row house in Baltimore City.Meanwhile my grand dad was fighting in the war and he heard the news bout my grand ma. So when War ended he got employed in the National Brewing company My grand ma had to quit and take his place cause that was the rules back then. Then my grand parents moved in neigborhood in Baltimore County. All because of the war bought the economy back. You might heard a story about an one armed baseball player Pete Gray. See the Army wouldnt take him so all those Major League players were at war and he played for St Louis Browns.
Pete Gray - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So thats the answer to recovering economy. When Government needs Tanks,Bombs,Ships and Planes they employ almost everybody. So im really hoping for Russia,China or IRAN start some crap with us put 10 million men with guns and granades And fight!! And people like me can go off to work make some real money.

Listen here... before you make an ass out of yourself again, look up Extra Help... it's a program to help people save money... get a clue. I dont know why you're obsessed with my life...it's scary and I might have to cancel my account here. Nothin wrong livin a peaceful life... :mad:

You've shared parts of ur life on this Board....and ruffled many feathers by some of the things you say....Canceling ur account? That's up to you, I could care less.

Well, she is your sister. ;)

Im on SSDI and i get monthy food stamps only $30 a month. My Rent has gone up my bills have gone up. Im trying to avoid extra Sales taxes like its added on Sodas. Im against taxes theyre just unfair. There are taxes everything you buy is why i shop at Amazon.com. You see Amazon.com doesnt charge you sales taxes. But Sodas are high as hell on Amazon.com so i applyed for food stamps. Its like a loophole around paying the sales tax. If the wealthy can get away avoiding paying the I.R.S by hiring Lawyers and putting their money in Switzerland why cant we?

I have SSDI as well but I'm ineligible for food stamp and Medicaid due to too much income and resource.

I could afford foods whatever I want to eat.

Portion sizes were also much smaller back then. Portions have nearly doubled in size in the last 25 years.

The size of dinner plates are bigger today too. I have one of my mother old cook books from the 50's and the recipes calls for a lot butter and sugar , but people where not as fat then. Kids had to walk to school and then back home for lunch and back to school then home . . Now kids are being driven to school by the bus or their parents.

Soda is a want not a need.

Depends on some people and their situation with health.

I have better tolerate with regular soda like Sprite (not diet) than water and juice.

I have SSDI as well but I'm ineligible for food stamp and Medicaid due to too much income and resource.

I could afford foods whatever I want to eat.

Its Pending what state you live in. If you moved to Florida you could get food stamps but small amount.

It's tricky. Government should not dictate what you can and cannot eat. On the other hand, if the children's health is being compromised by their parents not buying food with actual nutrition, should no one intervene? It's quite a dilemma.

They wouldn't be dictating what people can and cannot eat. People can still buy and eat whatever they want from the store with their own money. The government would just be dictating what people can buy with government funds.

They already do that. You can't buy beer or tobacco or mcDonalds hamburgers. You can buy Easter Baskets, but only if they have a particular percentage of candy in them so they count as food.

I don't see it passing, though. Grocery stores and the crony corporations make too much money from food stamps to give up sales of Twinkies and cokes.

I am a baby boomer and I raise my daughter on a vegetarian diet and made all her baby food . I made my own granola, pizzas and candy for my child.
She did not get any junk food , we had no sodas or chips of any kinds in the the house. My child only got candy on a special occasion.

We aren't vegetarian, but we did and do make our granola, pizzas, cook everything from scratch, and all that jazz.

My first child thought fried okra was cookies and frozen peas were candy. I let her think that.:D

My youngest two children thought a bowl of oatmeal was a treat, a yummy snack in the middle of the day. I let them think that, too. :D

We buy our oats in fifty pound bags to save money, and now that bag lasts two and sometimes three months. It used to last just one month.

So thats the answer to recovering economy. When Government needs Tanks,Bombs,Ships and Planes they employ almost everybody. So im really hoping for Russia,China or IRAN start some crap with us put 10 million men with guns and granades And fight!! And people like me can go off to work make some real money.

I'm sure all of the soldiers who die will be really happy that you have a job because they are dead.

:thumbd:

Back