Bill: No snacks for food stamp users

BLAME BUSH! For Screwing up the economy!
BLAME BUSH! why unemployment is so high
BLAME BUSH! for this useless war in IRAQ!

And i get $30 a month cause that all the government would give me.

BLAME OBAMA! for why you only get 30$

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! :roll:

Just food for thought (literally): of all the substances that humans willingly consume, sugar is probably one of the major killers in this country behind alcohol and tobacco. So many diseases and conditions are linked to high sugar intake, from diabetes to obesity to cancer. It is also proven that sugar is addictive. The only difference I see between sugar and alcohol/tobacco is that it is not mind/behavior-altering.

"Regulating" sugar would be an impossible task, since it is a major food ingredient, so I don't see how it would ever fall under complete control of the government. At the same time, a much more stern position needs to be taken on sugar--both from the government and from society in general.

Alcohol and tobacco are both major health issues. Both are regulated heavily. The core of my argument is the excuse to tax. And they would use health as an issue and reason to tax food that contain sugar (e.g. candy, soda, etc) in the effort to try and curb people from not buying or eating sugary food because of the additional expense.

Sugar is as damaging and addictive as alcohol or tobacco and should be regulated, claim US health experts.

According to a University of California team, new policies such as taxes are needed to control soaring consumption of sugar and sweeteners.

Prof Robert Lustig argues in the journal Nature for major shifts in public policy.

Industry body the Food and Drink Federation said "demonising" food was unhelpful.

Several countries are imposing taxes on unhealthy food; Denmark and Hungary have a tax on saturated fat, while France has approved a tax on soft drinks.

Now, researchers in the US are proposing similar policies for added sugar and sweeteners, amid concern about the amount of sugar in the diet.

BBC News - Sugar tax needed, say US experts

Alcohol and tobacco are both major health issues. Both are regulated heavily. The core of my argument is the excuse to tax. And they would use health as an issue and reason to tax food that contain sugar (e.g. candy, soda, etc) in the effort to try and curb people from not buying or eating sugary food because of the additional expense.

BBC News - Sugar tax needed, say US experts

Well, it seems not work because government need stop subsidizing on corns, one of them that lead to making of HFCS. If sugars are too expensive so they could switch to alternative like HFCS that still bad for you.

The obesity rate is much lower in many countries, especially Europe and I think that obesity is more blamed on fatty, oily food that what most fast food serve like that.

You shouldn't take sugar solely as big issue for obesity.

Back in 1960's, obesity was less than 5% of population in USA but there were plenty of good bakery places and soda made with real sugar instead of HFCS.

Back in 1960's, obesity was less than 5% of population in USA but there were plenty of good bakery places and soda made with real sugar instead of HFCS.

Portion sizes were also much smaller back then. Portions have nearly doubled in size in the last 25 years.

BLAME BUSH! For Screwing up the economy!
BLAME BUSH! why unemployment is so high
BLAME BUSH! for this useless war in IRAQ!

And i get $30 a month cause that all the government would give me.

There is a certain amount of $$ that you can receive each month that determines how much food stamps you will get. You can check online to find out for ur state....

I personally know of one woman that has a disabled son and only receives SSI and gets only $10 dollars for food stamps. She does get Medicaid for her and her son, and just lives slightly below poverty. Each and every case is different. She does not have internet or cable, gets a free phone tho'. And to top it off, has no car now. So there are people suffering worser in this world. I would suggest to check your States limit amount ($$), to see if you qualify for more.

Also back then the parents watch out for what the kids ate and how much. Today the kids buy their own and eat whatever they feel like. I'll admit that parents today are not the best of role models for eating properly.

Also back then the parents watch out for what the kids ate and how much. Today the kids buy their own and eat whatever they feel like. I'll admit that parents today are not the best of role models for eating properly.

Come to think of it, I blame the baby boomers for everything.

All i ask is between $100-$150 a month to make ends meet because my bills and food prices have gone up. Not to mention Sales taxes is making things expensive just like the Gas Tax is doing to a gallon of gasolene. So tell me whats the loophole around paying Sales taxes on sodas? This is why i have to Re-Elect Obama because if he can get the DOJ to knock down Floridas law on you cant use Sodas on food stamps just like he got the DOJ to knock down South Carrolinas voter ID law.

All i ask is between $100-$150 a month to make ends meet because my bills and food prices have gone up. Not to mention Sales taxes is making things expensive just like the Gas Tax is doing to a gallon of gasolene. So tell me whats the loophole around paying Sales taxes on sodas? This is why i have to Re-Elect Obama because if he can get the DOJ to knock down Floridas law on you cant use Sodas on food stamps just like he got the DOJ to knock down South Carrolinas voter ID law.

Why don't you figure out ways to eat cheaper before you go whine about needing more assistance? When I was in grad school, I spent less than 150$ a month for food, and I ate like a king. I made all my meals from scratch. I barbecued every weekend--cheap cuts of meat like boston roasts, cooked low n slow. I brewed my own beer and saved tons on alcohol. It can be done fairly simple; you just need to apply yourself.

You have the internet. Start off by Googling: "How to make rice and beans."

You like soda? Make it yourself. It can be done, and it will taste a lot better.

Why don't you figure out ways to eat cheaper before you go whine about needing more assistance? When I was in grad school, I spent less than 150$ a month for food, and I ate like a king. I made all my meals from scratch. I barbecued every weekend--cheap cuts of meat like boston roasts, cooked low n slow. I brewed my own beer and saved tons on alcohol. It can be done fairly simple; you just need to apply yourself.

You have the internet. Start off by Googling: "How to make rice and beans."

You like soda? Make it yourself. It can be done, and it will taste a lot better.

Staple food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rice is cheap to buy in bulk and they last you quite a long time. A lot of people living in poverty always buy huge bags of rice, at least they should anyway. Rice is great because you can mix it with pretty much anything.

Yes, the prices of bills and food prices have gone up - for everyone.

You are worried about being able to buy soda? Food Stamps was made for people who were worried about going hungry. If you are only worried about buying soda - maybe you don't need Food Stamps at all. Drink water instead, or make instant tea - you can make a crapload for $4

If I work for my money and I can't afford soda, I don't really agree that Food Stamps should give others soda using my tax money.

Yes, the prices of bills and food prices have gone up - for everyone.

You are worried about being able to buy soda? Food Stamps was made for people who were worried about going hungry. If you are only worried about buying soda - maybe you don't need Food Stamps at all. Drink water instead, or make instant tea - you can make a crapload for $4

If I work for my money and I can't afford soda, I don't really agree that Food Stamps should give others soda using my tax money.

Not to mention that tea bags can be used several times without having to dispose of it. That's how they used to do it back in the ol' days. Water is cheap, people should drink more of it, not soda drinks.

Agree....and also there are Churches and charity organizations that can help. Having too many bills?...that's not the government's fault...If you have a car, cable and internet....consider urself lucky, because many people on food stamps don't have that....Catch the bus like a million other people do, cut the cable and internet and you'll have more $$ to spend on food.

Agree....and also there are Churches and charity organizations that can help. Having too many bills?...that's not the government's fault...If you have a car, cable and internet....consider urself lucky, because many people on food stamps don't have that....Catch the bus like a million other people do, cut the cable and internet and you'll have more $$ to spend on food.

Just in my honest opinion, I believe internet is something the deaf should be able to have. This way, they can stay in touch with the others. With no internet or phone, your chances of securing a job is greatly reduced. You have to be able to communicate somehow. If people on welfare can get a cell phones, I don't see why the deaf can't have a choice in picking either a cell phone or an internet connection.

Just in my honest opinion, I believe internet is something the deaf should be able to have. This way, they can stay in touch with the others. With no internet or phone, your chances of securing a job is greatly reduced. You have to be able to communicate somehow. If people on welfare can get a cell phones, I don't see why the deaf can't have a choice in picking either a cell phone or an internet connection.

I think the internet should be a tax deduction for hoh/deaf citizens.

I think the internet should be a tax deduction for hoh/deaf citizens.

Im with you 100% on that. And besides you cant make Pepsi Max. Just like you cant make ur own beer nether. You know how hard it is to make beer? Look how the brewery makes beer

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FttkHVBu2IA]How It's Made: Beer - YouTube[/ame]

How Sodas are made
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oqyTKmIpxk]how its made s5 ep11- soft drinks - YouTube[/ame]

Its a Process a long process.

Seltzer water and club soda are less expensive than soda and you can add ruit juices to it for a "soda". I use lemon and lime juice in seltzer water and get a drink almost like Sprite with less sugar and for a lot less money. I feed my family of 5 (that includes 2 teenagers) on $140 a week. That's a little high, but I still have to pack a lunch for hubby, and hubby and I have special dietary needs. I also have to make sure mother has certain things. When she applied for Food Stamps, she only got $16 a month and they would only let her have them for 6 months, then dropped her. When we first moved to Florida and applied for food stamps, I got approved and got $200 a month. They dropped me and the family after 3 months. I wasn't worried since it didn't go far enough and hubby got a job. Not much of one, but at least he is working.

Back