Bilatteral implantation forum

Lillys dad

Reaction score
On 11-09 at St.Louis CHildrens Hospital there will be an open forum discussing bilatteral implantation of CI. This is a Q and A session with professionals including surgeons, pediatric ENT, speech therapists and so forth. If anyuone wants anymore info, let me know. There is a day session and an evening session. Off the top of my head, I do not remember the times. If interested, I will post the times.

bilateral implants

we keep debating on second implant on our son.he had first at 16 months and doing amazing. i am blown away everyday at his progress. he has a severe loss in hsi right ear and is hearing at a modearate level with his aide. we are deciding whether or not to implant onr the side surgeon says no right now but audie says yes.. we will decide by the time hes 3 he will be 2 on the 28th.so the class will be helpful..any info will be great!!

My son is bi-lateral and is doing extremely well... In the first year of the two devices, his tests scores shot up......... Prior to that , he was making gains, but in moderate amounts. Then when he was implanted in the other ear, his test scores went up years, instead of months HTH

I'm interested.

Can you give me the information about the bilateral implantation forum at St. Louis Children's Hospital this November 9th? I think this would be a useful event for me.

Thanks,
Erik

P.S. I registered just so I could request this information :)

samantha, if it's ambigious, I'd say wait til your son's a little older and can help with feedback about what he wants. If his hearing aid wasn't giving him too much benifit, I'd say go for it..........but he CAN hear somewhat.

Sponsored by Washington University School of Medicine and Childrens Hospital of St.Louis

Bilateral Cochlear Implants- An educational Forum
Novenber 9, 2006
Session 1: 1:00-3:00 pm
Session 2: 6:30-8:30 pm

This forum is for anyone who is interested in learning more about bilateral cochlear implantation.

Speakers: Audiologists, Surgeons and researchers from the Washington University Adult and St.Louis Childrens Hospital Pediatric Cochlear Implant Team

Adult bilateral implant recipients will share their experiences and be available for questions

TOPICS
What are the advantages of hearing with two ears (binaural benifit)?

Will a hearing aid on the non-implant ear help provide binaural benifit?

What does the research say about bilateral implants and bimodal fittings (hearing aid on one ear and a cochlear implant on the other ear)?

Who is a good candidate for bilateral cochlear implantation?

Does insurance pay for bilateral implants?

What do adults who have been bilaterally implanted say about their experience?

Is there a time frame for that is best for getting a cochlear implant?

When: November 9,2006- This forum will be presented twice, once in the afternoon and thenagain in the evening to try and accomidate a variety of schedules.
Afternoon: 1:00-2:00 presentation; 2:00-3:00 open discussion
Evening: 6:30-7:30 presentation; 7:30-8:30 open discussion

Where: Connor Auditorium on the 1st floor of the Farrell Learning and Teaching Center, directly across the street from the McMillian Building on Euclid Avenue (see attached map)

Other: Child care will NOT be provided,public parking is available in the south garage just south of Barnes Jewish Hospital

RSVP: (314) 362-7549 please leave a voice mail message at this number indicating your name, phone number, and how many will be attending. If you are a professional, please indicate your affiliation.

Because I cannot scan the map, here is written directions.

From the intersection of highway 64/40 and Kingshighway, go north on Kingshighway one block and turn right on Barnes Jewish Hospital Plaza.
Make an immediate right turn into the parking garage ( this is the south garage that is mentioned in the above message)
park your car.
Exit the front of the garage (back onto Barnes Jewish Hospital Plaza) and turn right. Walk east to the next intersection. The building directly in front of you (across the street as you walk towards the intersection of Barnes Jewish Hospital Plaza and Euclid) is The Farrell Learning and Teaching Center. This is the location of the Forum.

I hope to see you there.

Thank you!

Thank you for the information! I appreciate you taking the time to type out the flyer. Kudos!

Erik

Erik, do you live in or near St.Louis?
Samantha, what about you? Are you a local?
I am just curious because I am always looking for new local people to talk to who are involved in deaf issues.

I'm from St. Louis, but I'm going to a mainstream university out of state right now. I have a partial cochlear implant on my right ear (only 10 electrodes) because both of my cochleas ossified from bacterial meningitis when I was an infant. I've noticed my deaf peers talking more and more about bilateral implants, though, as of late. I talked to my parents about investigating the possibility of another cochlear implant, so we want to find out what the word is on bilateral implants. My parents live in St. Louis, so they should be able to attend the event. I'd go myself if I could, but it's on a Thursday during my classes. I'm hoping to find out positive information about bilateral implantation from the forum.

Again, thank you for providing the information!

Erik

Lilly Dad

I Am Not Local I Live In Ohio But I Am Always Intersested In Learning More Info On The Bilatereal Implants.

It is great meeting with people from here! The other night my wife, Lilly and I met up wher Greema, her husband,Fragmenter,hi8s wife and theri two adorable kids! We had a great time!

COme on over! There is a house around the corner for sale! There are several CI users in the area! There is Lilly, her friend Jordan and another little guy about the same age. They will all be in school together eventually. There are several AD members that live within 1/2 hour from us. Great place to live! They just opened another inclusive playground last weekend about 10 minute sform here. That is the 3rd one in a year! The kids can wear the CI while on th eplayground!

COme on over! There is a house around the corner for sale! There are several CI users in the area! There is Lilly, her friend Jordan and another little guy about the same age. They will all be in school together eventually. There are several AD members that live within 1/2 hour from us. Great place to live! They just opened another inclusive playground last weekend about 10 minute sform here. That is the 3rd one in a year! The kids can wear the CI while on th eplayground! You know you want to

I'm joining Lillysdad in inviting you over here! We'll have to visit that inclusive playground!

And yes, we all had a really enjoyable visit with Lilly and her parents!

I don't see any problems with you and your family emigrating over here -- y'all can speak/read English anyway!

I have a partial cochlear implant on my right ear (only 10 electrodes) because both of my cochleas ossified from bacterial meningitis when I was an infant.

Nice to meet you, Erik not Eric. I’m Eric not Erik. :mrgreen: Got a question for you about cochlear ossification. Do you have any residual hearing at all, or do you have zero residual hearing? (Audiologists sometimes refer to this as a ‘dead ear’, in case you’re more familiar with that term).

Back