Beyond Frustrated

Thank you Lissa. :hug: I'm starting to feel better already. I wouldn't have overreacted if other things had not been going on, but I think I'll manage just fine over the weekend and if the new cable coil works, I won't have to worry about being unable to hear at my appts next week. <crossing fingers>

The way I felt earlier did prove one thing to me. It demonstrated how much I love my CIs. I know I could function just fine being totally deaf and blind, but that's not the point. I received CIs for a reason and when I can't use them, I end up feeling depressed. In many ways, I feel like I'm mourning the loss of my hearing like I did in 1995. I don't know if any of you can relate, but that's the way I feel. I hope that doesn't offend anyone because I'm not saying that being deaf or deafblind is the worst thing in the world because it's not. However, when you've grown used to being able to hear for 4 years, you become accustomed to that and how it affects your life.

The way I felt earlier did prove one thing to me. It demonstrated how much I love my CIs. I know I could function just fine being totally deaf and blind, but that's not the point. I received CIs for a reason and when I can't use them, I end up feeling depressed. In many ways, I feel like I'm mourning the loss of my hearing like I did in 1995. I don't know if any of you can relate, but that's the way I feel. I hope that doesn't offend anyone because I'm not saying that being deaf or deafblind is the worst thing in the world because it's not. However, when you've grown used to being able to hear for 4 years, you become accustomed to it and how it affects your life.

When you first expressed your desire to give them up, I wanted to ask you if u were sure but didnt know if that would have upset you cuz I figured it was something you were struggling with.

There has to be a solution...dont give up!

shel,

When I feel certain emotions, I say things I don't mean. I may think I mean them at a given time, but in reality, I don't. I'm just reacting instantly to whatever is happening at the moment and am not thinking logically. That's one of my biggest faults. Part of it has to do with me as a person, but part of it is also due to my bipolar only because when I get hypomanic or manic, my judgment is poor.

Sorry again for mentioning mental illness. I just wanted to clarify to shel the reason why I said what I did. Sometimes I do get frustrated with my CIs to the point where I'm ready to give them up, but in all honesty, I don't think I could.

I am sorry to hear. I hope you will get a new freedom from 3G like DeafLissa did. :hug:

are you sure it is not the battery?

At this point, I've tried:

1. using the battery cage from my left processor in my right processor.

2. switching controllers from my left processor to my right.

3. charging the defective rechargeable in different slots within the battery charger.

The only thing I haven't done is change the cable coil which is what Cochlear recommended I do. They think there is an intermittent connection between the internal CI and cable coil that I'm using now.

By the way, I heard from my audi. She e-mailed Cochlear about this and is waiting for a reply. (She e-mailed them after business hours, so I should receive a response on Monday morning.)

Lisa,

Sounds like you doing everything and it sounds like the processor is the last thing left after you get the coil and battery cage checked. Take care!

Thanks John! I'm hoping the new cable coil will do the trick! If not, I think it's safe to assume that the problem lies with the processor itself.

At this point, I've tried:

1. using the battery cage from my left processor in my right processor.

2. switching controllers from my left processor to my right.

3. charging the defective rechargeable in different slots within the battery charger.

The only thing I haven't done is change the cable coil which is what Cochlear recommended I do. They think there is an intermittent connection between the internal CI and cable coil that I'm using now.
Sounds like you are on top of it. All the best getting the issue resolved.

I've had it with my rechargeable batteries. One of the batteries will not hold a charge despite being in the charger all night. After placing it in the charger yesterday evening and inserting it into my right processor this morning, my processor would not turn on. I'm beyond frustrated at the moment and have decided not to wear my CIs. I have my 3Gs, but don't feel like developing a headache listening to Darth Vader all day long. I don't know what is taking so long in returning my battery cage (I'm guessing it has to do with Medicaid), but I'm to the point where I just want to send my right processor back to Cochlear and be done with it. Does anyone know if Cochlear could send me a refurbished processor in 24 hours? I really don't want to use my 3Gs if I can help it. If that's the only choice I have, I won't wear my CIs at all because I'm extremely irritable and being unable to hear clearly will only irritate me more. By the way, I've already contacted my audi and asked if I could borrow a spare Freedom. This is just my luck considering I have an upcoming appt with her, Lexi and my therapist next week. :mad2:

Check the bottom half of the processor to see if its slightly twisted (not perfectly aligned with top part) it'll mess with your battery/led screen/coil I'm having this prob often lately, it'll twist out on its own and coil'll stop working (not sending sound) even if led screen is on, ugh.
Check it often if you can't hear anything.
And try different slot in charger one slot in mine take 2 days to fully charge but other 3 takes about 6 hours-overnight
And keep it charging even if it might not hold charge and one of my rechargeable wasn't charging for long time (about 2 months) cuz I lost it then I tried charging it it flashed different color light indicating that its not working anymore so 190 dollar battery down to the toilet, I only have 1 battery left and I'm out of disposable because I can't afford buy more and I don't think medicare will pay for extra rechargeable/disposable battery?

I agree to everything SkullChick says.Also I have been having some problems with coils , and I found out they weren't as snug as they should be , so pulling them out and pressing them tight again seemed to help.

SkullChick,

I'm sorry. I don't understand your post. Could you clarify what you mean about the bottom half of the processor? Are you talking about the battery cage and making sure it fits tightly? If so, I've done that and I've also tried different slots in the battery charger to no avail.

SkullChick,

I'm sorry. I don't understand your post. Could you clarify what you mean about the bottom half of the processor? Are you talking about the battery cage and making sure it fits tightly? If so, I've done that and I've also tried different slots in the battery charger to no avail.

Yeah the battery part, do you have any disposable battery left? You can use it until coils arrives if you have any left also you can ask sighted person to look at charger with all battery in to see if the light showed red color it mean the battery is finished, time for new one

Back