Best primary and secondary school in UK?

UK'er

Reaction score
If you had a deaf children that needed education, which school would you send them to? It has to be deaf school only.

Are there good Signing Deaf Schools in the UK? Is the set up simliar to what it is here in the US? Meaning there are academic kids, but a lot of them are behind b/c of floundering in the mainstream?

Are there good Signing Deaf Schools in the UK? Is the set up simliar to what it is here in the US? Meaning there are academic kids, but a lot of them are behind b/c of floundering in the mainstream?

There is good signing deaf schools in almost all major cities of UK. I don't know how schools in the US works, but I know one thing for sure is that primary and secondary schools in the UK follow education curriculum set up by government designed for normal hearing schools to follow, and deaf schools also follow the same curriculum but does it in BSL. Basically it's like French school teaching curriculum set up by English government.

Deaf kids in the UK do same exam as normal kids would have done.

I believe that is effective way of teaching deaf kids. It prepares them in future where kids are expected to grow up and go to normal college and normal University.

Some deaf kids go to mainstream, and as far as I know, only really few kids struggle in mainstream schools. Although, that might be a very different story for other cities' mainstream schools.

So, back to thread's question, does anyone know which deaf school are the best school based on results?

I know there is the Royal Schools for the Deaf in Margate, Derby and Manchester but I don't know how good they are. I know there is a quite primaries that do BSL, such as Blanche Neville and Frank Barnes but they are in London. There is also Hamilton Lodge.

Here's a list of schools for the deaf in the UK Schools for the Deaf in the UK

But I haven't a clue which schools are best for results

I know there is the Royal Schools for the Deaf in Margate, Derby and Manchester but I don't know how good they are. I know there is a quite primaries that do BSL, such as Blanche Neville and Frank Barnes but they are in London. There is also Hamilton Lodge.

Here's a list of schools for the deaf in the UK Schools for the Deaf in the UK

That website is really outdated. Some of schools on that website are closed down and/or moved to new address locations.

I know but I only did a quick google search. I know a lot of them are sadly now closed. Did you go to a deaf school here?

I know but I only did a quick google search. I know a lot of them are sadly now closed. Did you go to a deaf school here?

In the UK? Yes.

Checking Mary Hare website, the results aren't impressive considering they are private school. I know one deaf free state school that does well compared to Mary Hare.

Which deaf free state school does well?? Which one did you go to?

Primary school:
Frank Barnes School for the Deaf is the best well known and it regularly on See Hear on BBC2. (BSL and English, Bi-Bi)

Heathlands School for the Deaf, another well known school. It uses any communication deaf child uses and encourage deaf child to learn BSL if not already.

Hamilton Lodge, I don't know much about them but I know name of school.

Royal School for the Deaf Derby (BSL and English, Bi-Bi)

Elmfield School for the Deaf, another well known school, esp lately cos council was trying to close them down and it was on BBC news even, they managed to keep school open for now. (BSL and English, Bi-Bi). Look at video on this page by kids there: BSL Poem. I like 3rd one with boy sitting on grass best. He really good.

Donaldson’s School for the Deaf, another well known school. They have just moved new building last year or 2 ago. (BSL, English, SSE and Speech)

Secondary School:
Heathlands School, they do secondary school as well on different place and well known. Same as above with language.

Hamilton Lodge, they do secondary school and college as well.

The Royal School for Deaf Children, they well known school. They also take in deaf children with additional needs. (BSL, English, SSE, Speech)

Royal School for the Deaf Derby (BSL and English, Bi-Bi)

Donaldson’s School for the Deaf, another well known school. (BSL, English, SSE and Speech)

Most of schools you listed aren't even good. Some schools you listed have a serious problem as such as RSD have a serious issues regarding to students. Well-known school does not equal to good school. I know Frank Barnes school ages ago, and it was bad in past but I don't know if it has improved since then.

However, I expect almost all deaf schools to provide support for spoken speech, BSL, English and SSE.
Which deaf free state school does well?? Which one did you go to?

The same one I went to :O But rather not to reveal as I do not mix my real life with internet life. :(

Most of schools you listed aren't even good. Some schools you listed have a serious problem as such as RSD have a serious issues regarding to students. Well-known school does not equal to good school. I know Frank Barnes school ages ago, and it was bad in past but I don't know if it has improved since then.

However, I expect almost all deaf schools to provide support for spoken speech, BSL, English and SSE.

The same one I went to :O But rather not to reveal as I do not mix my real life with internet life. :(

Ok no problem, I went to Thomasson Memorial School for my primary years and it was fantastic back then and now it's changed dramatically!!

What is RSD? I had look at Ofsted report and see what they say. They seem be high and above average. None of schools are on average or below.

In past they was low and was marked low but about last 5 years or maybe bit more they been marked high. They have improved since the past. That good those last few Deaf schools left been marked high, cos I bet if it was average or worse they be close down quickly and easily cos so many been closed down in short time.

Ofsted Report

Frank Barnes School for the Deaf - Outstanding (Grade 1)

Heathland School for the Deaf - Outstanding (Grade 1)

Hamilton Lodge - Good (Grade 2)

Royal School for the Deaf Derby - Good (Grade 2)

Elmfield School for the Deaf - Good and staff is Outstanding (Grade 2)

Because school below is from Scotland have different inspectors than England. 6 is excellent, 5 is very good, 4 is good, 3 is adequate, 2 is weak and 1 is unsatisfactory.
Donaldson's School for the Deaf - Very Good (5)

What is RSD? I had look at Ofsted report and see what they say. They seem be high and above average. None of schools are on average or below.

In past they was low and was marked low but about last 5 years or maybe bit more they been marked high. They have improved since the past. That good those last few Deaf schools left been marked high, cos I bet if it was average or worse they be close down quickly and easily cos so many been closed down in short time.

Ofsted Report

Frank Barnes School for the Deaf - Outstanding (Grade 1)

Heathland School for the Deaf - Outstanding (Grade 1)

Hamilton Lodge - Good (Grade 2)

Royal School for the Deaf Derby - Good (Grade 2)

Elmfield School for the Deaf - Good and staff is Outstanding (Grade 2)

Because school below is from Scotland have different inspectors than England. 6 is excellent, 5 is very good, 4 is good, 3 is adequate, 2 is weak and 1 is unsatisfactory.
Donaldson's School for the Deaf - Very Good (5)

RSD = Royal School for the deaf, Derby.

Ofsted report doesn't paint the whole picture. I have a pretty large network of friends living many different areas that have went to some of schools you listed.

RSD = Royal School for the deaf, Derby.

Ofsted report doesn't paint the whole picture. I have a pretty large network of friends living many different areas that have went to some of schools you listed.

Ah right thanks. I do remember loads of bad report of deaf schools around 1960s to 1990s cos it not being run properly. Some so sad how deaf was treated in some of schools. Maybe they changed now like in 2004 and onwards, improved?

Ah right thanks. I do remember loads of bad report of deaf schools around 1960s to 1990s cos it not being run properly. Some so sad how deaf was treated in some of schools. Maybe they changed now like in 2004 and onwards, improved?

Some schools improved, at least it did for my old school.

Back