Best countries for D/HOH child?

sansalmom

Reaction score
Please forgive the randomness of this thread and if it's been discussed before...

I am the parent of a 5 year-old bioy with moderate hearing loss. He wears HA's and is in an oral/auditory program at a mainstream school. His school has been great - like a second family to us.

Here's the issue - I have to go overseas for my job in a year or two. I have my choice of almost any country in the world, with the caveat that jobs in the developed countries of Western Europe can be hard to get. My kids will attend the "American" or "International" School in whatever country we end up in.

Questions - 1) Of countries with programs, which foreign countries have the best programs for D/HOH? 2) Are there any countries that would be particularly difficult for a little boy with hearing aids? (I have a lot of experience in the former Soviet Union and I'm afraid my boy will be bullied there, but maybe you have other experiences you can share) Conversely, are there countries that are very tolerant and accepting of D/HOH?

Appreciate your help!

I wish I knew enough to answer your question, but maybe you can find something here at the World Federation of the Deaf site or the Alexander Graham Bell Association, both international resources.

A review of the following book in the Oxford Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education points to it as a good resource (though a little bit pricey, maybe suited to a library visit): D. Moores, , & M. Miller. (Eds.). (2009). Deaf People Around the World: Educational and Social Perspectives. Washington, DC: Gallaudet University Press.427 pages. Hardcover.

There are very few parents of deaf/hoh children on AD, but you may want to contact/take a look at posts from the following of these if you are interested in specifics from their countries:

Cloggy (Norway / Netherlands)
MessyMama (Italy)
Kat05 (Greece)
RoseRodent (Scotland)
(I think there's someone else who has posted from the UK, and I can't recall the name, maybe others can add to this list of potential contacts with other parents navigating the deaf ed landscape today)
If your choice is in the US, I'd add to these names (Csign, MountainMan, ASLMommyX2, Faire Jour, and several others) - the US varies widely from location to location.

And then, of course, there's plenty of info out there on parenting environments in general, such as this recent report on the top places to be a mother.

1 Norway
2 Iceland
3 Sweden
4 New Zealand
5 Denmark
6 Finland
7 Australia
8 Belgium
9 Ireland
10 Netherlands/United Kingdom

Last edited:
I can't say for sure that the U.S. is the "best" place for a DHH child, but I can say that there are many laws here that support a deaf child's right to an appropriate placement and services... I don't think the same is true for other countries... Maybe some others from around the world can chime in about their country...

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I'm guessing since you said overseas Canada one of your available options ?

If it is, that might be a very good option with comparable services, supports, as well as sharing both the same oral language and signed language (ASL) as the USA.

Last edited:

If it is, that might be a very good option with comparable services, supports, as well as sharing both the same oral language and signed language (ASL) as the USA.

Anij- I'm curious... Does Canada have laws similar to the U.S. that support a child's right to appropriate services, placement etc.?

CSign said:

Anij- I'm curious... Does Canada have laws similar to the U.S. that support a child's right to appropriate services, placement etc.?

Yes, absolutely - in fact in some situations (and areas) we have better support services than in many places in the USA.

(I've lived in both Canada & the USA)

Yes, absolutely - in fact in some situations (and areas) we have better support services than in many places in the USA.

(I've lived in both Canada & the USA)

That's good to know... I'm happy to hear that...

Thank you for your answers! We were in El Salvador when our little one was diagnosed and had to leave there early. The audiologist was absolutely shocked that I wanted to get my son aided in both ears - Salvadorans apparently resist wearing hearing aids. She thought she'd have to talk me into it, but I was like, "let's get him fitted right away!" I agree that Canada would be terrific! I bet they have comparable programs and maybe we could get some free health care! :)

FYI - Canadian health care is NOT "free". Canadians pay into the healthcare system from taxes which is matched by the government. On average we pay between 18% and 35% of our income into health related services.

FYI - Canadian health care is NOT "free". Canadians pay into the healthcare system from taxes which is matched by the government. On average we pay between 18% and 35% of our income into health related services.

I'm not very familiar with the system and how it actually plays out in real life, but that doesn't sound like a bad model.

Sorry - I know it's not free - just a sort of off-hand comment on my part. Still support some nationalized health care in the US, though (especially since health costs are the #1 reason for bankruptcy here).

Back