Being prepared for discrimination

that book, that was quite powerful....

Every deaf child should know the historical moments of one of the greatest victories against discrimination and oppression: "Deaf President Now!" It inspires me every time I read about it.

I think so Book powerful? It is very pretty complication not easy my opinion
I already Lord of the Flies long time ago odd I am puzzled it book I observed it i am very familiar complication issues pretty try! I best of complication try observed it sound hear interesting, I think so lots of Lord of the Files and Shakespeare long time i remember hard to history English

Lord of the Flies is a terrifying novel. There is an important lesson to be learned in it's pages. Shame so many have either never read the book or missed the lesson entirely.:hmm:

no shit, and also no shit on the next, its William Golding, he wrote this novel, and i have seen the adaption into a film, not quite there, book really impacts.

Its kind of a strong stance about freewill against nurturance.

interesting but yes terrifying with that gilimpse of human nature (only if you believe it)

I have never read Lord of the Flies. My nephew had to for school due to required reading for his AP class. I may check it out this week.

I never read that either. At first I thought of "Lord of the Rings" ! :)

there is a film too, quite old an adaption from the book
but book is better more cerebal which kind of suits but the film wasnt bad at all

As for "free will" the idea has been discussed for centuries-moral theology.

Presumably falls into the category of religion which is "forbidden" here.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Holy shit. This thread is critical for anyone with career choices and is facing discrimination. Even the hearing face it. Let all show our skills and negotiation before being judged.

Will read through later, but thank you, shel90, for making this thread. Should I go to a school like Harvard, I'd still be stopped.

:bump:

EDIT: I bumped this thread because it's worthy discussion to talk about it. Deaf people should have joined any of those careers, general programs, organizations, and etc. But, unfortunately, the scoeity is still believing we can't do anything, anyway.

Now, let's focus on this valid question, and ignore all of those old posts here:

Which is better... to prepare the kids for the potential of discrimination and oppression, or have them think that they are just like their hearing peers and not worry about any of that?

I add an another question:

What would you say if someone says you can't be something (e.i.-- interiror designer, prof. artist, doctor, teacher, and etc.) because you have your deafness? It's not matter where you are at. It could be at restaurant, store, company, and etc.

Last edited:
Which is better....prepare the kids for the potential of discrimination and oppression or have them think that they are just like their hearing peers and not worry about any of that?

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

there is no "OR" -- you must do BOTH.

warn them there will be potential discrimination and/or oppression as, sadly, there is no shortage of narrow-minded idiots everywhichwhere,

BUT that shouldn't be an obstacle in achieveing whatever goals they have set for themselves since they are equal to their hearing counterparts.

yes, they should worry about that in a way that they should be prepared to fight narrow-mindedness and injustice but, again, nothing should stop them from going after their dreams - certainly not their deafness.

Fuzzy

Back