Beginning The Process For Ci

I understood her English perfectly. She told a deaf person who is going to (probably) get a CI that AllDeaf isn't the place to find people who are welcoming of Cochlear Implants. She pointed to the door and said, metaphorically "maybe try somewhere else, somewhere where CIs are more accepted"

The strangest thing is that all the Deaf meet ups I've been to are not only welcoming of people with CIs (I wasn't always a fan and put off getting one for a decade) but are composed of culturally Deaf people who have hearing aids and about a third have cochlear implants. We all still sign but more than most people would think also have CIs and have benefit from them.

What I took from her statement is exactly what it is.

Here you will find all opinions on ci,

so if your mind is already set, it makes more sense to me anyway to hit the ci fetish boards
Where you won't come across other different opinions.

I think your confused between welcoming people, as Deaf and human biengs and welcoming a technology of assimilation and normalization who's goal is to rid the world of people like us.

When they first started implanting babies against medical advice of the time doc repeat against medical advice newspapers had articles with headers such as "A cure for the deaf"' "Deafness abolished"' "a world without deaf"

If you replace deaf in those titles with Jew what do think?
How about replace it with gay?

You can ignore our history and ci history if you wish, you can ignore our present if you like

But it doesn't help you here

Our culture certainly is far more open now.

That is due. To the decades of bludgeoning and bullying by people like you and the decades of cultural marketing. Cultural social re engineering and manipulation by ci multi nationals with billions to invest and its cronies to change us from the inside. And make no mistake.
They have been rather very very successful

In certain nations parents of Deaf babies don't even have choice.

Ci is an international industry that doesn't stop at borders. Nor does our critique of it

We did resist. Though....

We didn't stand a chance.

So now
Most have just given up and accept one day their will be none like us remaining..
And instead choose to try to have fun. To enjoy our selfs as our culture fades into the gloom

I wouldn't confuse that with a welcoming....of the technology
It's more an acceptance of our fate.

Would the lgbtqa community be so accepting of a technology designed to assimilate and change them?

Of course not

But they have political organization and way way any more organizational skills and loot the we ever did or could
Thus
We will be assimilated

Our wishes and culture be damned.

Last edited:
I understood her English perfectly. She told a deaf person who is going to (probably) get a CI that AllDeaf isn't the place to find people who are welcoming of Cochlear Implants. She pointed to the door and said, metaphorically "maybe try somewhere else, somewhere where CIs are more accepted"

The strangest thing is that all the Deaf meet ups I've been to are not only welcoming of people with CIs (I wasn't always a fan and put off getting one for a decade) but are composed of culturally Deaf people who have hearing aids and about a third have cochlear implants. We all still sign but more than most people would think also have CIs and have benefit from them.

I was not telling anyone to leave. And no I have not been to a meeting up except in my home town but we don't see many ci here, not because we hate them or push them out of social circles but because a lot of people in salem oregon can't afford them or just use ha ando attend the deaf school. I'm sorry you felt like I disrespected you or Jesse. I have just noticed about only 7 or 8 alldeaf members reply on most threads so I didn't know if some one with ci's would reply to Jesse. I also didn't want them to be hurt by people's replies. And I wasn't showing them the door, in fact I am all for new members hanging around hearing or deaf. But like someone else stated they can ask people on a Facebook page, that doesn't mean leave alldeaf and never come back. It just means they might find more information and be able to ask people more questions on a Facebook page then what they are going to get here.

DeafNerdMommy just joined AllDeaf in October of 2015 so I doubt that she has been to any prior meet ups.
I doubt ecp is talking about AllDeaf meet ups. If DNM isn't late deafened, and I don't think she is, she very well could have been to Deaf meet ups.

I doubt ecp is talking about AllDeaf meet ups. If DNM isn't late deafened, and I don't think she is, she very well could have been to Deaf meet ups.
I was born hoh but my parents didn't find out until I was 17 because they keep blaming it on other things. I have been to a few deaf chars and events at the local deaf school. But we rarely see ci's here in salem oregon

What I took from her statement is exactly what it is.

Here you will find all opinions on ci,

so if your mind is already set, it makes more sense to me anyway to hit the ci fetish boards
Where you won't come across other different opinions.

I think your confused between welcoming people, as Deaf and human biengs and welcoming a technology of assimilation and normalization who's goal is to rid the world of people like us.

When they first started implanting babies against medical advice of the time doc repeat against medical advice newspapers had articles with headers such as "A cure for the deaf"' "Deafness abolished"' "a world without deaf"

If you replace deaf in those titles with Jew what do think?
How about replace it with gay?

You can ignore our history and ci history if you wish, you can ignore our present if you like

But it doesn't help you here

Our culture certainly is far more open now.

That is due. To the decades of bludgeoning and bullying by people like you and the decades of cultural marketing. Cultural social re engineering and manipulation by ci multi nationals with billions to invest and its cronies to change us from the inside. And make no mistake.
They have been rather very very successful

In certain nations parents of Deaf babies don't even have choice.

Ci is an international industry that doesn't stop at borders. Nor does our critique of it

So now
Most have just given up and accept one day their will be none like us remaining..
And instead choose to try to have fun. To enjoy our selfs as our culture fades into the gloom

I wouldn't confuse that with a welcoming....of the technology
It's more an acceptance of our fate.

Would the lgbtqa community be so accepting of a technology designed to assimilate and change them?

Of course not

But they have political organization and way way any more organizational skills and loot the we ever did or could
Thus
We will be assimilated

Our wishes and culture be damned.

You know, if someone asked me if they should get a cochlear implant, my answer wouldn't be an automatic YES! CIs aren't fetishes.
I'd probably tell most people that if they aren't willing to work really hard for YEARS to understand sounds, then a CI isn't for them. If hearing aids work just fine, a CI isn't for them. I'm actually against the more laid back FDA requirements for cochlear implantation in adults, they now allow people to get a CI when they have more residual hearing than I ever had.

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not a fanatical pro-CI person, rather, I refused to get one for 10 years becUse I didn't think the technology was good enough and I thought I was getting by just fine signing, speaking, and having interpreters.
Once I started graduate school I realized that the interpreters are on,y as good as their understanding of the subject and I grew tired of getting incorrect information from a third party.

Maybe if NTID or Gaulladet had medical schools, I'd go there but they don't. So I decided to see what a cochlear implant would do for me. I literally had no hearing to loose (PTA WAS 115 dB). I went in with low expectations and found myself able to understand speech within a few days of being activated. Ag one month my speech scores were 95% at normal conversational levels.
I still sign, it is an instinct for me.

I'm not a shill for cochlear implants, nor am I ignoring the benefits of fheDeaf community. I just want do do more with my life and I'm lucky enough to have had excellent education that allowed me to succeed both despite and because of my deafness.

So now

That is the most defeatist attitude I've ever seen. Cis aren't getting rid of deafness or Deaf culture, they are tools that help Deaf people hear.
Deaf Culture isn't dying, maybe your brand of it is but more and more parents of deaf children are learning ASL, the effects of ASL on language development are finally being studied and show that early exposure to language through sign is very important for development of other languages.
I personally abhore the auditory oral approach and each time I see a deaf kid getting fusturated, I just want to teach them ASL (my CI center is at an oral school).

Right
Well the above post you certainly come across a different sort.
So
I this post you toned it down,
But on others for instances regarding sign you Come across rather audits to be kind.

Indeed the audist argument over assimilation is exactly what you state
Assimilate and you've have a better life, do more with your life..get better jobs, so on

At face value that seems reasonable

But
When one looks deeper all that does is actually justify the discrimination.

It's not our deafness that precludes us from having it better,
It's the hearing worlds audism and decrimination that does that

So if their was of course a technology to turn blacks white, allot of the issues and plms would of been solved that way via turning blacks white..
But they couldn't really master the ideas or develop the tech so instead society had to handle that form of discrimination via laws and so on..

gays, up until the 90s it was viewed as a medical condition. And cures and treatments were sought..
But what if they could develop a tech to change gays straight?
That would end gay descrimination too...

Assimilation is the goal

Same with us Deaf.
Our wishes are hardly considered.
The fact that many many many of us do not see ourselves as broken in need of a cure, and that we already live and lead vibrant full lives does t seem to bat an eye of the multi nations, or the docs, who only see a Deaf baby as a liability. As broken goods. In need of repair.
In need of a cure
To be fixed

When they did bother to ask us and we told them how we really feel about our lives...they got stunned stupid and refused to even consider such a possibility..

they've worked re hard on us for centuries...

And tried all sorts of stuff, to make us hearie
Because they just can't allow or accept we have our own culture our own language that we are different that we do not need to be fixed, that we are not broken, we are not sick or I'll, we are not damaged goods.

We don't need a cure!!

we are not them. We are not hearie

And so now they have their holy grail and its been working really well.

I think history will look back on this...with very disttastfull eyes

But In the mean time we have those flashy web sights and multi billion dollar multi national corps to deal with....

CI is just audism in a tech form....

It's their final solution for us really and I don't see much hope for our culture or my people given their onslaught

Last edited:
That is the most defeatist attitude I've ever seen. Cis aren't getting rid of deafness or Deaf culture, they are tools that help Deaf people hear.
Deaf Culture isn't dying, maybe your brand of it is but more and more parents of deaf children are learning ASL, the effects of ASL on language development are finally being studied and show that early exposure to language through sign is very important for development of other languages.
I personally abhore the auditory oral approach and each time I see a deaf kid getting fusturated, I just want to teach them ASL (my CI center is at an oral school).

Defeatist maybe....
I been in this fight for decades...

Then again coming from someone who has drilled holes their head, calling me a defeatist is a bit rich.....
Come now....

If ci are is not about getting rid of deafness then I ask what gives re the very push for them?

Why did the newspapers cry "deafness cured"
Were they joking perhaps?

Why did they news outlets cry "a world without deaf" to celebrate implanting babies?
More joking?

I see...
So we are the but of hearie jokes then...
Let's not take them too seriously...

Or maybe we should take them at their word?

Yes more and more parents are learning asl to what extant actually is it being learned and being used as a first language?
Is it being learned to help re oral communications an aid to English? Is it actually being learned fully S a language a first language?

Yes asl is being studied...that is in spite of hearie ideas not because of it...even in some linguistics departments as we sign sign language itself is still being argued over wether it's a real language or not...

Your ci centre is at an oral school

Well
No kidding..
Why do you think that is?

Last edited:
Your ci centre is at an oral school

Well
No kidding..
Why do you think that is?
I think it is because my city doesn't have an adult implant program and the most expierenced CI audiologist happens to work at an oral school. And the oral school only charges $150 for a new MAP but the hospital I tried wanted $850 up front before they would even see me.

Keep thinking I'm closed minded. I'll keep working hard, breaking barriers, and exceeding expectations. And I'll keep fighting for my Deaf patients even though it has gotten me in trouble.
I am doing what I know is right. Keep judging. I don't care.

I think it is because my city doesn't have an adult implant program and the most expierenced CI audiologist happens to work at an oral school. And the oral school only charges $150 for a new MAP but the hospital I tried wanted $850 up front before they would even see me.

Keep thinking I'm closed minded. I'll keep working hard, breaking barriers, and exceeding expectations. And I'll keep fighting for my Deaf patients even though it has gotten me in trouble.
I am doing what I know is right. Keep judging. I don't care.

Perhaps the very idea of oralism and ci are so connected ideologically and practically that it makes sense for a ci clinic to be In a oralist institution.

I doubt it's just
"It just so happens"

You really believe that don't you?

As for your last rant
Cool
You keep spewing your filth,and I'll keep stating it stinks!!!

Well their are ci fetish boards for those who only want one aide to their nonsense
Here
You get All sides....

I was not telling anyone to leave. And no I have not been to a meeting up except in my home town but we don't see many ci here, not because we hate them or push them out of social circles but because a lot of people in salem oregon can't afford them or just use ha ando attend the deaf school. I'm sorry you felt like I disrespected you or Jesse. I have just noticed about only 7 or 8 alldeaf members reply on most threads so I didn't know if some one with ci's would reply to Jesse. I also didn't want them to be hurt by people's replies. And I wasn't showing them the door, in fact I am all for new members hanging around hearing or deaf. But like someone else stated they can ask people on a Facebook page, that doesn't mean leave alldeaf and never come back. It just means they might find more information and be able to ask people more questions on a Facebook page then what they are going to get here.

That's exactly what I took your post to mean. That you weren't telling people to leave, but also get opinions elsewhere too. Like you, I don't feel being d/Deaf (whether with HAs, nothing, or a CI) has to define ourselves, especially as adults.

Back