Bedtime Battle

Iceriver

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been posted before.

Any of you have problems with dealing with your kids's bedtime? I have a 3.5 years old son, and he refuses to go to bed at 8pm and keep making excuses like I want a drink, I need to go to pee, I want to play, etc anything to avoid going to bed. He ended up going to bed late. Im fed up. If any of you have a solution that works for you, I wanna know! so I can try. Thanks a bunch.

Iceriver said:
I don't know if this has been posted before.

Any of you have problems with dealing with your kids's bedtime? I have a 3.5 years old son, and he refuses to go to bed at 8pm and keep making excuses like I want a drink, I need to go to pee, I want to play, etc anything to avoid going to bed. He ended up going to bed late. Im fed up. If any of you have a solution that works for you, I wanna know! so I can try. Thanks a bunch.

Consistency is important! So whatever you do, do the same thing and he have to get used to it. An idea is to maybe tell him he can get up only 2 times (he decide what for, drink or potty or whatever) then he must stay in for the rest of night. Just an idea, good luck with whatever you try! Another idea is to have the same routine everynight (like bath, brush teeth, drink water, cuddle time, potty (to empty out the water he drank), bed). When my kids were small those routines helped a lot. My son wet the bed sometimes when he was very little so I didn't like him to drink much before bed, but my daughter never wet the bed so I let her have a bottle (a plastic bottle, not a baby bottle) of water in bed with her in case she got thirsty in middle of night.
Good luck, let us know how it goes :fingersx:

I wish me and my mom can help you but that seems like a tough question. Me and my brother went to bed in time and my mom don't have any problems with me and my brother. Me, my mom and my brother are not deaf but I'm the only one who are hearing impaired.

Sorry...I wish I can help with your problem... :( :dunno:

EDIt: OH YES! Make up rules for him!!

@Parents, if you have children and you haven't make up rules for him, please do so, if you have problems with your kids. Me and my brother get along with each other and I don't think my mom and dad make up rules for the house...but maybe just only when it's time to go to bed and my mom and dad wakes up me and my brother for school. My mom's/dad's rules are not very strict at all.

I'm with vio- consistency is important. create a routine such as... brush teeth, drink water, go to potty, read a book, and then lights out.

I sorta can relate because my 3 yr old kid refuses to go to sleep without me by his side. it's rather fustrating at times, but it's also nice to know that he wants mama :)

I hear you! I am going through the same thing right now with my 1 year old. She puts up such a fight when we try to get her to go to sleep. We are slowly figuring out that she needs a 'routine' and we've come up with:

5 pm: dinner
6 pm: a walk around the block
6:30 pm: bath
7 pm: bedtime

I've heard that turning off the tv, loud music, and avoid anything exciting 30 minutes prior to bedtime should help.

Hope that helps!

that stage of ages are normal..

but welcome to parenting world.. we have to teach them .. bed time is bed time... alot of patiences.. :)

yes that right to follow

no tv or radio cuz it will make the kids more hyper or some reason

keep the routine going not give up that when kids are growing up i have 2 nieces one is 7 mos old and one is 6 1/2 old and 1 nephew 11 years old i am partly raising
my 11 years old nephew refused to go to bed UGH lol

:hyper: come on kids go to sleep haha jk

i know you all feel after FULL day with kids wanna to relax when night comes sighs!!

Last edited:
Hmm.. Consistency - its not gonna be easy. He is just unbelievably stubborn! But I will give it a try, make up some rules, and some other suggestions you guys gave me. Thanks for the advice!

I'm not sure if it's quite the same thing or not. Both my daughters (1hearing, 1 deaf) have issues with bedtime. My son was always a piece of cake and so I was completely unprepared for my girls. They can't seem to lay down and relax. They have to pop in and out of bed like jack-in-the-boxes. I hated bedtimes. They stressed me out more than anything else. I would have headaches by the time the girls went to sleep. There were many, many nights that it took them 2.5 hrs to get to sleep. I tried everything from those tricks you see on the nanny shows, to routines, threats, rewards, letting them stay up till they wore themselves out (that did NOT work!!), everything that was suggested I tried. Nothing worked. And then my youngest started OT. When I mentioned bedtimes her therapist showed me this brushing/joint compression technique. From the time she gets up, you do it every 2hrs (takes about 1 - 2mins) and then right again before bed. IT IS A MIRACLE!!! The first night it only took her an hour to go to bed. The second night it was a half hour!! Now after about a week, it takes her about 5 - 15 mins to relax enough to fall asleep. I also started doing it on my other daughter too :D my older daughter would make up reasons to get out of bed. I used to think she had the weakest bladder ever made. Now she just lays down, gets her brushing and all, and it out shortly after that.
Turns out it's a sensory thing. It can be hereditary, and is very common in deaf/HH kids. Something about things not firing or connecting in the brain correctly and the endorphines they need to relax don't work correctly. But the brushing/joint compression technique releases exra ones that help to keep their bodies/nervous system relaxed for a couple hours.

Anyway! the point of my ramblings: If you think your son is making up reasons to get out of bed maybe because he can't relax, then it might be something worth looking into.

ThreeLittleBear - interesting, I never thought of that, it might be the cause. I;ll figure out what relaxes him, but if he objects to it then the cause would be that he hates bedtime, lol. Only way he would stay in bed if Im there in bed by his side.

make a rule would help what ur child likes the most. for example ur child loves to watch movie then tell ur child no movie tomorrow if u don't go to bed tonight. make sure u warn him first before its offical -- its an example that i could suggest to try?? GOOD LUCK! :)

Iceriver said:
I;ll figure out what relaxes him, but if he objects to it then the cause would be that he hates bedtime, lol.

Just so you know, if it actually is a sensory thing that's keep him "wired" and active enough to think up reasons, then it needs to be a sensory related calming thing. Reading books relaxs my girls. At least until the story is done, and then they are back to being little energizer bunnies.

But hopefully you will find something, anything, that helps you out. I know how tiring these kind of bedtimes can be! :)

OldNavyGirl said:
make a rule would help what ur child likes the most. for example ur child loves to watch movie then tell ur child no movie tomorrow if u don't go to bed tonight. its an example that i could suggest to try?? GOOD LUCK! :)

I have tried that but he would throw a fit and crying :hyper: . At times, he would tell some people how I ve been bad to him. :|

is your son hearing if he is

try little music to see
if not work just give that up anyway

i am just give a idea that all

my brother and my sister in law play little music to their baby daughter when she start to relax it works

Perhaps, you can reduce your kid's sugar intake before bedtime. The sooner your kid eats sweets, the more hyper he will be.

moonflower said:
is your son hearing if he is

try little music to see
if not work just give that up anyway

i am just give a idea that all

my brother and my sister in law play little music to their baby daughter when she start to relax it works

Her son is hearing :)

maybe she will answer about the music I dunno :)

Vampy's suggestion is correct.

Don't give kids sweets or any "sugar" like drink, cookies, etc. after 3.00 pm because it makes kids wild.

Give kids drink 2 hours before go bedtime.

TV must be switch off one hour before go bedtime because TV makes them fresh and wild... Play with kids until they are tired and then agree to go bed... or communicate about news of your or his/her day... Read for them... I read with sign to my children rarely but communicate with them and play with them. (fight with pillow until they are worn out...)

My son is hearing. I have tried putting music on, but he didnt like it and wanted me to turn it off.

About sugar, I don't think it's going to work. He is very stubborn even though he shows signs that hes over tired. Its rare that he would ask me that he's tired and want to go to bed.

One suggestion you could try is to find some sort of 'light' activity for what your child likes to do and do it in (on) the bed such as coloring, etc. and slowly unwind, drifting off to slumberland. ;)

Back