Bad way to go

sonocativo

Reaction score
Well, Been hearing through the grape vines but finally got the news.
Growing up, a kid lived next door to me and we were friends to an extent ( went to same schools, played....typical kids ) then he started hanging with other kids and became a bully to me.... well years of fighting then we grew up and moved away....
Years later we became friends again, through facebook and just became better people over the years for our stupidity and all as kids.

Well, friends of friends of friends have been talking he contracted a virus and doesnt have long to live ( docs dont think he will make it ) something called Cellulitus? They had to remove all his skin from the knees up to his waist and possibly more ( last I heard a few days ago) well another buddy called tonight and wants me to ride along and go pay him a visit at the hospital, so Im leaving here shortly, shame he is suffering as he is a great guy and hopes he pulls through. I feel awkwards going but after all we are men now, Hope to cheer him up and make him feel a little better for a long road to recovery, I will post more later when I return as I dont know the whole story on his illness yet, but from what Im hearing is it is grave.

Wow. Hope your visit will cheer him up. He'll be happy to see you. Nothing like seeing friends.

Just got back a bit ago, we stayed way past visiting hours ( doc didnt mind as he hasnt had many visitors) He is in a decent mood, trying to stay positive.
Since I last heard of his skin removal (knees to waist) they did surgery early this morning to remove dead skin down to his ankles, from his waist up his stomach and chest areas, around his ribcage and onto his back ( spreading rapidly)
He is attached to a med-e-vac, IV's and other medical devices, so he can not get out of bed, he is in constant pain as he is basically skinned alive.
We had some good chat, he asked about my house and said its looking good as he has popped on FB off and on, said a couple prayers and well wishes as the night went along. I told him I will see him at my BBQ so hurry and get back home.

He really enjoyed our visit, i still felt awkwards but it did feel good to see him again and laugh about things we did as kids, and all that we accomplished as adults. I think we might visit again over the weekend... it seemed to cheer him up alot tonight.

You did a good thing, Mike, by visiting him and reminding him if good times & taking his mind off his current situation. :)

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Well, Been hearing through the grape vines but finally got the news.
Growing up, a kid lived next door to me and we were friends to an extent ( went to same schools, played....typical kids ) then he started hanging with other kids and became a bully to me.... well years of fighting then we grew up and moved away....
Years later we became friends again, through facebook and just became better people over the years for our stupidity and all as kids.

Well, friends of friends of friends have been talking he contracted a virus and doesnt have long to live ( docs dont think he will make it ) something called Cellulitus? They had to remove all his skin from the knees up to his waist and possibly more ( last I heard a few days ago) well another buddy called tonight and wants me to ride along and go pay him a visit at the hospital, so Im leaving here shortly, shame he is suffering as he is a great guy and hopes he pulls through. I feel awkwards going but after all we are men now, Hope to cheer him up and make him feel a little better for a long road to recovery, I will post more later when I return as I dont know the whole story on his illness yet, but from what Im hearing is it is grave.

How horrible!, poor guy. He must be suffering so much, and scared to boot.
I hope he will pull through, though, and soon.
How nice of you to come visit him. He probably needs all the support he can get, so, yeah, forget awkward shmackward, think about how the guy must feel what with the doctors hacking off all that skin and all.... :eek3:

btw I doubt it's cellulitis as it's bacterial infection, and while it's serious and can be even deadly but it's treated with antibiotics and never heard of cause where the skin needs to be cut of.
perhaps it's something else like flesh eating disease -
it is also known as necrotizing fasciitis ? sounds kinda similar,
although it's a bacteria, too...

Fuzzy

It's really unfortunate as no one is deserving of contracting a disease. Even thinking about those rough times hurts, but you have a good head on your shoulders Sonocativo. You approached and handled the past situation very well, it's part of life's exexperiemnce whether as kids or adults, but cooler heads, understanding and forgiveness eventually prevail. You're friend should consider himself lucky to have a true friend by his side, regardless how hard things were. I wish your friend all the best for a recovery. Thanks for sharing Sonocativo! :hug:

Thank you all for your comments, it makes me feel better being there for someone in times of need. I know theres not alot I can do but the mental support helps alot, I know from experience ( recovering from my bike accident )
I guess I felt the most awkwards when I got there, didnt know what to say, but once we all got into conversation it was pretty smooth sailing. I couldnt hear him all that well, so my buddy I rode along with would relay what he said to me.
Our buddy didnt know my hearing has gotten so bad, he never really knew as I didnt talk about it and hid it as kids, last time I had hearing aids when I visited him at home, so he was surprised that I am basically deaf now. In all we could tell he was stressed but by time we left we could tell he was in a better mood.

Whatever he has is a virus, not bacterial, so there is nothing to treat it and just running its course, I didnt catch what exactly it was that they said. But he said it started out looking like a boil on his leg just above the knee, so he just didnt mess with it but then the skin started dying and got bigger... he didnt go to the doc right away but when he did the damage has already started. They dont know where he contracted the virus from.

I'm very sorry about your friend. I'm glad that you spent some time with him. I'm sure it meant a lot to him.

it amazing what good laugh with friends can do happiness will get enzymes moving in his the brain good healer...Glad you go see him...Cellulitis not a fatal condition I would thought doctors would not put him though this operation if there no hope

Thank you all for your comments, it makes me feel better being there for someone in times of need. I know theres not alot I can do but the mental support helps alot, I know from experience ( recovering from my bike accident )
I guess I felt the most awkwards when I got there, didnt know what to say, but once we all got into conversation it was pretty smooth sailing. I couldnt hear him all that well, so my buddy I rode along with would relay what he said to me.
Our buddy didnt know my hearing has gotten so bad, he never really knew as I didnt talk about it and hid it as kids, last time I had hearing aids when I visited him at home, so he was surprised that I am basically deaf now. In all we could tell he was stressed but by time we left we could tell he was in a better mood.

Whatever he has is a virus, not bacterial, so there is nothing to treat it and just running its course, I didnt catch what exactly it was that they said. But he said it started out looking like a boil on his leg just above the knee, so he just didnt mess with it but then the skin started dying and got bigger... he didnt go to the doc right away but when he did the damage has already started. They dont know where he contracted the virus from.

Really, it does sound so much like flesh eating disease that may have had started with a bite from an insect or whatever - that's how the flesh eating
stuff gets there - from an opening into skin by accidental bites, for example.
I so wish you'd find out the correct name lolol I kinda love to learn about the medical stuff
but nonono please do not feel pressured like you have to find this out
on my account- that's not what I mean,
I'm just conversing here about the way I am is all :)

Your friend is lucky he has your support, he really must have changed considering the stormy beginnings you've described :)
All gone and forgotten, eh?
Methinks this story qualifies to the "say something nice" thread :aw:

If I may say so, if you are planning to visit him again bring a game like a card game or something, that helps, too.
Something you can leave, so he can use it later as well.

About your losing your hearing - you may chose not to talk about it,
however it occurred to me you may wish to mention to your friend
you are okay with losing your hearing, maybe you weren't at first but now you are, people just need to talk louder to you and directly into your face.
If you do not want to know something you just turn over :giggle:
Make light of it, spew a few deaf jokes and everything should be fine from now on :)

Fuzzy

My mom had Cellulitis and it's very painful . That was great you visit your friend , it had to meant a lot to him. I hope he will recover soon .

when you see your friend again tell him about lymphatic drainage as unlikely doctors would

Really, it does sound so much like flesh eating disease that may have had started with a bite from an insect or whatever - that's how the flesh eating
stuff gets there - from an opening into skin by accidental bites, for example.
I so wish you'd find out the correct name lolol I kinda love to learn about the medical stuff
but nonono please do not feel pressured like you have to find this out
on my account- that's not what I mean,
I'm just conversing here about the way I am is all :)

Your friend is lucky he has your support, he really must have changed considering the stormy beginnings you've described :)
All gone and forgotten, eh?
Methinks this story qualifies to the "say something nice" thread :aw:

If I may say so, if you are planning to visit him again bring a game like a card game or something, that helps, too.
Something you can leave, so he can use it later as well.

About your losing your hearing - you may chose not to talk about it,
however it occurred to me you may wish to mention to your friend
you are okay with losing your hearing, maybe you weren't at first but now you are, people just need to talk louder to you and directly into your face.
If you do not want to know something you just turn over :giggle:
Make light of it, spew a few deaf jokes and everything should be fine from now on :)

Fuzzy

I do joke about it and talk about it now, I used to be embarrassed about my hearing. Since Ive been opening up about being deaf, my friends just swarm me with questions, the biggest is " Why dont you get cochlear implants?" DUH !
So when I tell them how much it costs and show them videos of the surgeries... they dont say much more.

Alot of my friends now know I did have HA but they dont work anymore, few still dont know yet.

My MIL has had cellulitis a few times but not to that extent. Your poor friend. :(

My husband had cellulitis. And neither his cardiologist nor his renal nurse told him even though it showed his legs to them. His foot doctor saw it and said to get an appointment ASAP with a cardiovascular surgeon. He ended up have cardiovascular surgery done on one of his legs.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Visiting your old friend was a good idea. It cheered him up.

My best friend in high school just recently passed away with colon cancer. When I left for the Navy in 1972, I only saw him once in 1974 when I went home to MI. It was the summer of 2012 when I went home and we met again. He told me then that he had just finished chemo, but he would not go through it again. Last summer, 2013, I went home again and he told me that the doctors could do no more. So the two of us hung out for 3-4 days. Got word that he died in December.

Not only cheering up your friend, it will give you a lasting memory. You will not regret what you did.

Visiting your old friend was a good idea. It cheered him up.

My best friend in high school just recently passed away with colon cancer. When I left for the Navy in 1972, I only saw him once in 1974 when I went home to MI. It was the summer of 2012 when I went home and we met again. He told me then that he had just finished chemo, but he would not go through it again. Last summer, 2013, I went home again and he told me that the doctors could do no more. So the two of us hung out for 3-4 days. Got word that he died in December.

Not only cheering up your friend, it will give you a lasting memory. You will not regret what you did.

I have a friend from High School who is now battling colon cancer himself. We played in a band together, just a few of us from school. He now plays in 4 local bands ( he's the drummer) and has opened at a few concerts for some big name Rock bands already.
anyways I do have some pictures of him, some from our younger years but Im not in any of them ( I took the picture or wasnt there when others were taken)

Attachments

• ken1.jpg
    ken1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 13
  • ken6.jpg
    ken6.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 15
  • ken3.jpg
    ken3.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 10
  • ken4.jpg
    ken4.jpg