Author Looking for Some Pointers!

sherlokianwisdom

Reaction score
Hello!
I am a somewhat-writer trying to finish up my first novel before I'm 20, but someone wanted to put a big wall between me finishing my first story and starting another one. Someone, I cannot remember who, told me that there are not a lot of d/Dead or HoH books out there, especially for tweens and teens. I have done extensive research on my own about the Deaf Culture, as well as some personal experience, but nothing can ever beat information from others who have more experience.
My question, or poll, is merely this: If you were to read a book about the d/Deaf HoH (or several in a series, each focusing on one main character that is d/Deaf or HoH) what would you want to see incorporated or shown? Something that the internet and books don't usually capture in day-to-day life. Any and all advice, pointers, or self-experience would be most appreciated. Thank you kindly!

I also apologize if this is not the proper place to post this. I couldn't find any place that seemed to fit other than the General Chat and neither seemed fully appropriate...

Very popular to use "Dead" instead "Deaf". It is also common for some hearing people to speak the "Dead" or "Death" in front of us. I guess they did not know what d/Deaf mean to them. :roll:

EDIT: I know it is TYPO. **shaking my head**

Have you been on the bbc deaf media it incoperate all deaf apart from American you may find stuff that help...getting novel publish before 20 that a lot of hard work have you got lit agent who help

Thank you for the advice!

And... damn, I apologize for that typo. I'd blame spell-check, but I think that just might have been me typing too quickly. Thank you for pointing that out, and I apologize again for it.

Watch "Switched at Birth" this is a great example of writing deaf characters. Deafness is not the center of plot. Babies that got sent home with wrong parents is. Having Deaf characters just lends more depth and options to the storyline and allows telling of v the Deaf experience in larger context. Watch the Deaf written and produced movie "Mountain Man" it's is a great movie that shows Deaf acting without any focus on being Deaf. ..

I had a giggle at the typo... I've made the same mistake myself countless times! Is your book a fiction? There is definitely a lack of Deaf-oriented fiction out there for teens. Kudos to you!

Sent from my LGL34C using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back