Audism - The Definition and the Audist View

Deaf people dont go around bragging about their ASL skills at Deaf socials, to their friends, and etc. That's stupid.

We do compliment each other on good analogies, ideas, and etc, not on ASL skills. I have never met a Deaf parent bragging to others about their children's ASL skills. Maybe about good grades, creativiness, and science projects but about speaking skills? Not that I have seen and it would have been a turn off.

I dont think hearing people go around bragging about each other speech's skills, do they?

Deaf people dont go around bragging about their ASL skills at Deaf socials, to their friends, and etc. That's stupid.

We do compliment each other on good analogies, ideas, and etc, not on ASL skills. I have never met a Deaf parent bragging to others about their children's ASL skills. Maybe about good grades, creativiness, and science projects but about speaking skills?

I dont think hearing people go around bragging about each other speech's skills?

Good point. A great example of why a hearing parent bragging about a deaf child's speech skills is audist.

We do compliment each other on good analogies, ideas, and etc, not on ASL skills. I have never met a Deaf parent bragging to others about their children's ASL skills. Maybe about good grades, creativiness, and science projects but about speaking skills? Not that I have seen and it would have been a turn off.

I dont think hearing people go around bragging about each other speech's skills, do they?

I'm sorry but that just cracked me up. I got this image in my head of hearing people at a formal party:

Man: "Look at me. I can articulate each word perfectly."
Woman: "Wow. You sure can. I want to improve my intonations. Do you have a speech therapist you could recommend?"
Man: "Oh, your intonation is just fine."
Woman: "Aww, thanks. Perhaps after this party, I can show you how good my intonations can get."

(Sorry, off topic. Couldn't resist)

Good point. A great example of why a hearing parent bragging about a deaf child's speech skills is audist.

And that gives the child the wrong impression about what they are capable of. There is much much more to each of us than good speech skills. Audism can really damage children if people arent careful.

I'm sorry but that just cracked me up. I got this image in my head of hearing people at a formal party:

Woman: "Wow. You sure can. I want to improve my intonations. Do you have a speech therapist you could recommend?"
Woman: "Aww, thanks. Perhaps after this party, I can show you how good my intonations can get."

That is almost what I had in my head when I was typing that question. So funny!

:lol:

:laugh2:

And that gives the child the wrong impression about what they are capable of. There is much much more to each of us than good speech skills. Audism can really damage children if people arent careful.

**nodding** It is very harmful, and especially to children that are developing their self concept. It gives them the message that unless they speak well, they are not as valuable as those who do.

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:

i'm gonna disagree with this. I have seen LOTS of Deaf people notice and complement childrens' ASL skills. Both deaf children and CODAs.

OMG! Now I've got that picture in my head, and I can't stop giggling. I'm afraid it will come right back to me the next time I am at a gathering with hearing people!:laugh2:

I seem to remember Harry Reid commenting on obama's speech skills.

Off topic. And unrelated to audism. Please stop trolling. You are entitled to believe that audism doesn't exist. However, you are not entitled to make fun of those that know it does.

OMG! Now I've got that picture in my head, and I can't stop giggling. I'm afraid it will come right back to me the next time I am at a gathering with hearing people!:laugh2:

Try not to keep your face from scrunching up too much. :giggle:

Back