Audism - The Definition and the Audist View

In reference to the interpreter for the deaf...this notion is why many hospitals, courts, schools, etc. will not pay for the interpreter...they think, well if the interpreter is FOR the deaf person, then the deaf person has to pay for it. ADA is in place, but it's a joke to enforce it if the other party doesn't understand why it's in place.

Exactly. Belief system motivates and guides the behavior, very often in an unconscious way.

Yeah. ADA has become toothless cuz there's poor enforecment of the law. A lot of conservatives don't like it. They're not the ones who have to deal with with the flak that those who need it have to deal with day in and day out.

If we change the beliefs underlying the discrimination, then law enforcement will not be needed.

One does not behave in a discriminatory manner unless they hold a belief that is prejudiced.

If we change the beliefs underlying the discrimination, then law enforcement will not be needed.

One does not behave in a discriminatory manner unless they hold a belief that is prejudiced.

you have a point there. :hmm:

That much is obvious. Like I said, there will always be audists as they refuse to consider the validity of anything except their own view. It's okay. Change is hard.

No need for change..... I will continue to fight for the rights of those that are treated unfairly and you can fight for their feelings. :p

Beetoven did hear his own music. He heard it in a different way than a hearing person would, but he heard it all the same.

But did he ever wish he could hear it the way others did/do???????

True. I have to confess I'm feeling frustrated with certain posters who seem determined to prove they are not audists despite their own posts proving that they indeed have an audist view.

off topic:
It doesn't help that a towing service that I called earlier this morning refused to accept my call cuz I was using the relay services. I decided to write a poor review of every ad page that I could find as a result. I'm still angry that it's twice as much hassle for me to get even simple service done for me because of the audist attiude.

No need for change..... I will continue to fight for the rights of those that are treated unfairly and you can fight for their feelings. :razz:

I'm nor fighting for anyone's feelings. I am fighting to end the audist beliefs that result in discrimination. Can't stop the act without changing the belief. It has been proven time and again. In fact, you are doing a great job of proving it here.

Now, since this thread is about the definition of audism, how would you define it?

But did he ever wish he could hear it the way others did/do???????

He had the best of both worlds. He was able, at one time, to hear it as hearing people do. And then he had the experience of hearing it as a deaf person would. Given that he continued to compose after he became deaf, I'd say he had few, if any, regrets. He did not let deafness stop him. I doubt that he considered it a tradgedy. And, based on his accomplishments after becoming deaf, I doubt that he held audist beliefs.

True. I have to confess I'm feeling frustrated with certain posters who seem determined to prove they are not audists despite their own posts proving that they indeed have an audist view.

off topic:
It doesn't help that a towing service that I called earlier this morning refused to accept my call cuz I was using the relay services. I decided to write a poor review of every ad page that I could find as a result. I'm still angry that it's twice as much hassle for me to get even simple service done for me because of the audist attiude.

It is a situation of "Methinks he doth protest too much.":cool2:

I'm nor fighting for anyone's feelings. I am fighting to end the audist beliefs that result in discrimination. Can't stop the act without changing the belief. It has been proven time and again. In fact, you are doing a great job of proving it here.

Now, since this thread is about the definition of audism, how would you define it?

I wouldn't.....

Wirelessly posted

Beowulf said:
A parent who brags at how a hearing aid helped a child hear music is not being audist. One who brags at how it made the child speak better is. It's understandable but still...

why? It is very likely that it did help him speak better (than he did before). That in no way says that he is superior to someone who does not speak or that speaking is better than signing.

He had the best of both worlds. He was able, at one time, to hear it as hearing people do. And then he had the experience of hearing it as a deaf person would. Given that he continued to compose after he became deaf, I'd say he had few, if any, regrets. He did not let deafness stop him. I doubt that he considered it a tradgedy. And, based on his accomplishments after becoming deaf, I doubt that he held audist beliefs.

What a great example he was/is

Back