Audism at its peak in deaf school

It's kind of ironic that after I posted this, I got an email from my school saying they are having a workshop on...AUDISM! LOL. It was a great eyeopener for many of us...I learned some things as well.

I learned that there are two kinds of audism...active and passive. Active audists believes their culture, language, and beliefs are superior...this applies to BOTH deaf and hearing people. Deaf people who believes ASL is superior to English are Deaf Audists. These people intentionally do not sign in front of others, etc. Passive audists are not aware that they are doing things that may be seen as acting as if they are superior to another group.

It's kind of ironic that after I posted this, I got an email from my school saying they are having a workshop on...AUDISM! LOL. It was a great eyeopener for many of us...I learned some things as well.

I learned that there are two kinds of audism...active and passive. Active audists believes their culture, language, and beliefs are superior...this applies to BOTH deaf and hearing people. Deaf people who believes ASL is superior to English are Deaf Audists. These people intentionally do not sign in front of others, etc. Passive audists are not aware that they are doing things that may be seen as acting as if they are superior to another group.

Question..are these hearing teachers doing this on purpose or do they forget?

Don't you mean "Deaf people who believes English is superior to ASL are Deaf Audists"

IMO, people like the ones described in the OP have no business teaching in a deaf school. Or, frankly, in any school, since they seem to have no respect for students or other staff members.

IMO, people like the ones described in the OP have no business teaching in a deaf school. Or, frankly, in any school, since they seem to have no respect for students or other staff members.

Welcome back Jillio!!!! Missed you! Sorry for not replying to your recent email. My life is really a mess these days but hanging in there.

*sorry for off-topic*

Don't you mean "Deaf people who believes English is superior to ASL are Deaf Audists"

Yes and those who believe ASL is superior to English are Deafist.

Back