ATTN: Relay Online Lover

Magatsu said:
Well, let illustrator call or file up a suggestion to FCC because I am sure that there are many deafies will file a complaints or suggestions to not let them change the policy (I am talking about free long distance) to cancel illustrator's suggestion. After all everyone are entitle to share their opinions and feedbacks so illustrator shared his opinion after all, nothing more or less than that :p

My date is hearing as well and she supports whatever we recieve from government. That's my gal! :D Perhaps that illustrator don't realize that government has been ignore us or our needs for years, years and years like no closed captions in our parents & grandparents'' time, no TTY (in old time), deaf don't allow to drive certain vehicles, no interpreters for radio, blah blah many many thousands more that deafies do not have the access (there are some that still don't give us the fair access). illustrator, perhaps you will need to ask your "lover" a question, "why don't we have the access to radio like hearings do without altering our bodies such as so-called CI and other things?" And ask her another question if you like, why does deafies earn low pay than hearings do in same position, same degrees, same experiences and same attitudes? (Thanks to my hearing gal for this second question because it actually happen to two deaf employes she know at her work who can perform more quick and skill than hearings do in same position/degrees/attitudes yet recieve low salary. Out of 600 employes, my gal is only person who filed a complaint against her work about that. Sad eh?)

I think it is reasonable for deafies to have some privilages like free long distance. So if you want to pay the long distance relay online then be my guest and donate your money to these relay online, I am sure they would appreciate the donation from you :) but don't expect us to do same thing until we or I have the same access as hearings do then I am sure we or I would consider to do same thing as you do.

Cheers!

haha. I called bluff. But the way, nice opinion. ;)

erm, bluff..?

what is that statement about? let me rephrase, what are you talking about?

Last edited:
Relay services are NOT free. All U.S. taxpayers pay taxes to get the relay services. On top of getting the relay operators for free, you still have to pay for long distance calls when you dial 7-1-1 in any of the 50 states. Relay is NOT free.

However, it is my understanding that each phone company may offer a reduced per minute rate on LD relay calls because they tend to take longer than normal telephone calls. NOT FREE. Deaf people want EQUAL ACCESS, not a FREE RIDE on the government's dime.

illustrator, did you find out from the Oregon Telephone Relay Service manager about why online relay services are free? I'm really curious to hear her explanation myself, and I bet it's not because the government really wants it to be free.

I could be wrong, but I BET it's free because right now the government can't track exactly where we are online to know if a call is long distance or not. IP addresses aren't 100% accurate as to your physical location and your IP could say you're in San Francisco when you're really in Los Angeles, for example. Once relay services have the technology to track exactly where you are, they will be able to charge you. What do you think?

Back