ATTN: Need more information for my deaf friend

katz4life

Reaction score
My friend is very upset, there's a big serious problem with the TVs that does not have Closed-caption at her college (she's the only deaf student there.) She had been living through TV that has been without Closed-caption while watching the news for the past 7 months in the TV lounge. She tried to fix C.C. on the tv, of course, there has C.C. on the screen menu but it had never showed C.C. on the screen. She thought that TV in her suite's TV lounge was the only that has no C.C. which she thought it was probably broken but not. There is 2 more TVs in 2 different campus building she found that did not showed C.C. on the both TV screens after she had the C.C. set up on the TV from its menu. She became very suspicious and extremely upset because she have never ever seen something like that since 1993, the year the ADA law passed C.C. that all TVs brands to be required to have C.C. devices. She keeps wondering what's going on, and felt that something is not right about those TV without C.C. because it is totally a violation against ADA law about C.C.

Now she feels that she wants to sue her college...she have had it enough already she doesn't want to wait any longer after she reported it to Resident Advisor and was told that TV would be fixed on the next day but they never did. That is NO excuse for wrongdoing to her since that's major violation and discrimiation. She's planning to buy a new digital video and take the video on the three TVs that is without C.C. for just in case for evidence. So, she is not sure where to start first...

calling the DS (Disability Service Office) she did try to find on the internet but couldn't find anything that is related to this incident

or

email/call to NAD?

or

finding the lawyer first but don't know how or where to find a good lawyer that works with disabilities' rights and discrimination and etc. I know she is college student and still living under her parents' roof and doesn't have a job (her VR doesn't allow her to have a part time job until she finishes her college) of course she can't afford a such thing for lawyer...she doesn't want her parents to be responsible paying for that though.

Any suggestions??

Any suggestions ? Tell her to
Jump off the Golden Gate Bridge,
just kidding ya...

First, she need to take photos of that TV
without any CC to collect enough evidence
before contacting either NAD Law Center
and/or attorney (as a last resort).

If she's still a student, then she should go
to her boss higher level to meet and
discuss and then write a follow up letter
afterward so that way both of you
have letters copies ready. Wait and
see if they would do anything after
the follow up letter.

If no action at all, then you have to
contact NAD Law Center or attorney.

NOTE: This is based on my opinion, this does
NOT mean that I am right or wrong here.

Last edited:
My opinion only:

I would not start with a lawyer yet. The lawyer will ask what steps you have already taken and probably suggest you try other methods first. Also, lawyers cost big bucks unless you can find one that will do the work pro bono, or if you can work thru a legal aid group.

First, (again, just my opinion), go thru "the chain of command" with your complaint. I don't know about the organizational set up of your college, but you can probably find it on your college's website. In other words, start at the lowest level (at the dorm), then work your way up to the most senior authority (college president), but don't skip any of the chain. Each time you make a complaint, put everything in writing, with the date, and get the name of each person that you contact. Even if you need a lawyer later, you will need this documentation for proof. Keep a log or diary of what you do.

Other resources for help are NAD and the Justice Department. The Justice Department is responsible for enforcing the ADA. The NAD can give you information.

I hope the problem turns out to be something simple to fix. It might just be a glitch in the TV or remote. If it is something more than that, then do what you must. A lawyer and a law suit should be your last resort.

Reba is right. Forget the lawyer. They are the last resort. Also, keep a notebook of with dates on what you steps you took and when you did these things. Also, keep a notebook for the times that tv was captioned or not. Things like that. It's important to have documents. They help a lot and give proof of your steps and what you have seen. Don't give up on this. This will be resolved with a strong attitude.

Has she talked to the school yet? She shouldn't jump to conclusions and go ratting on the school without talking to the school first. Maybe, the televisions are broken? Maybe, they were rewired? It could be anything.

If the college is a publicly supported college, then Title II applies. Get a lawyer. Technical ghouls is a bunch of baloney these days as 14 yrs has passed since ADA passed and TV sets have evolved enough to have CC capabilities in them.

Richard

Last edited:
My opinion only

Get a lawyer!
Its been 14 yrs. since the ADA law was passed.
All tvs now a days 13 inches or bigger are required to have the cc chip.
Keep a file of all the letters ect. that you write, and then you can show you mean business.
Margie
Dir. of Communication Serivces
OCDAC

Nesmuth said:
If the college is a publicly supported college, then Title II applies. Get a lawyer. Technical ghouls is a bunch of baloney these days as 14 yrs has passed since ADA passed and TV sets have evolved enough to have CC capabilities in them.

Richard
I have a television that doesn't have CC on it. It's old. That's why. Secondly, she only reported to her RA. Maybe, her RA didn't do anything. Maybe, her RA did report it. That's something we're not clear on. I don't think that she should jump to conclusions and go on a lawsuit spree just because she only spoke with one person. There's a thing called "chain of command". You can't expect things to be done if you talk to someone on the bottom of the ladder. Is there proof that she talked to the RA? Perhaps, she should simply call the facilities management department. Maybe, she should contact her resident halls office.

At RIT, if the television is broken... they usually refer you to the facilities management department and they fix it within a few days. If there's a problem with the room, they refer you to the resident halls office.

At my friend's college, if the television is broken... they refer him to the residence halls office and they determine where he needs to go.

Colleges are different. People should not go running around yelling "I'LL SUE!" when they can easily resolve it quietly. I'm even willing to make a few simple phone calls for her friend if needed! :)

VamPyroX said:
... I don't think that she should jump to conclusions and go on a lawsuit spree just because she only spoke with one person. There's a thing called "chain of command"...People should not go running around yelling "I'LL SUE!" when they can easily resolve it quietly.
Right! :thumb:

Its common or the disabled including the deaf to go on a shakedown (lawsuit spree) simply because they cant find work since they need to feed, clothe, and shelter themselves. Our agency supports it and we have a good lineup of attorneys to help us out too.

And a lawyer is the best person to decide when to sue, give them a try.

These so called passing on the chain of command has taken years and years to resolve cases. I've seen it like that and we only live an average of 78 yrs.

We already gave the society 14 yrs to make themselves accessible, should we give them more?

Richard

When you talk to someone about a problem, you don't just sit there and say "The television has no closed captioning." What you should say is, "The television has no closed captioning. Who should I speak with on this issue?" Also, be sure that you get an answer immediately. If the RA says that he or she will get back to you later, then ask when he or she will get back to you. Some people are passive and say, "The television has no closed captioning." and then walk away. They won't know what will happen next. They won't know who they should really be talking to. They won't know anything.

That is a total violation of the ADA. I think that is ridiculous. Every campus should have closed captioning as an option on their T.V screen. If I were her, I'd sue that f'in college. Damn. Yeah, I would file a lawsuit. But before that, she should complain to her college first. If they don't respond to her complain, I'd sue their asses.

About Television

Well,

My college doesn't have tv but I don't have time to watch the television. I learn something about the television on college campus.

Well, first you need to find out where the network came from because that television you are watching. They manual that television and stuck that way specific channel. It might doesn't let you change some channel but out of campus have channel what you were looking for.

Depend on your campus; for example, if the telvision is running under MEDIA and then go to where the dept relate with media because they tend use that media for different event about CAMPUS NEWS!.

Another than that they said, "direct from another state." Then you will need to contact that number or anyway you could get fix. If they refuse the rights to give you phone number and contact the media department or state or whatever the television network from.

Just don't jump on the lawyer section. First, you just have to made dairy book of television rebellion.

So that way you can get that case and where you were at and what time and stuff that you see the news such as import news about campus event that you couldn't understand what the "people" are talking about. its just depend on the college campus put program for that kind of event.

If thing not going to be your resort thats is not enough their provide your met. then Go to too-too to lawyer and give that all dairy book you are written.

Back