Attention deaf adults/Parents with deaf children Methodologies:

What educational approach were you in while growing up?

• Cued Speech

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Oral

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • Total Communication (TC)

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • bilingual-bicultural (Bi-Bi)

Votes: 10 27.0%

• Total voters
I love that smily. It represents my whole philosophy to life. Where did you get it?

lol Byrdie asked me that yesterday. It's from other forum that I'm a member of - ADVRider.com

EDIT: link's been corrected

my parents put me in school with all the hearie kids but no sign language no speech nothing in another country. it was very frustration for me. my parents found mainstream school here in america 'elementary' for both Ddeaf/Hhoh and hearing (about 20 Ddeaf/Hhoh students, I don't remember exactly). i learned sign language late and oral at i think 8-9 yrs old. my parents didn't know where to find school for the deaf/hoh back then. i was glad to have learned sign language here in america.

Last edited:
BILINGUAL BICULTURAL!

I have experienced TC and mainstream as well, but the part of education that was bi-bi seems to have the largest impact. I was almost put into a oral program, but my resistance was fierce :)

If I was born today, I doubt my skull would be left untouched and would be much more prone a early childhood without sign language. Gives one the shivers.

Went to two deaf schools... TC for first few years then BiBi all the way.

Last edited:
grew up oral for most of my school years, til went to college became TC .. I use oral and ASL/PSE depends on who i'm talking to.

I went to like 8 to 10 different schools before age 18 so I've been exposed to different approaches for the deaf. No, my family didn't move around a lot. It's just that the Richmond oral program in the early 70s had no permanent base so we might be going to a different school each year. However, we were often grouped with the kids from the last year's program so it's not like we had to sit with strangers every year.

Bi-Bi is making a comeback now and this is the only program that I haven't been in.

I grow up oral mainstreamed education. I was unaided (profound severe loss) from age 3 to 10 then I received my first hearing aid. My mom assisted in developing my oral vocabulary. As for school, I enjoyed it.

Since my hearing loss was mild to moderate in elementary and middle school -- and moderately-severe in high school, I was raised orally.

Back