Atlanta's latest cost cutting measure? Turning off the lights on the interstates

they can simply make it a mandatory law. If they don't have the kit.. that's what emergency parking light is for! :laugh2: and beside - many have cellphone so they can simply call for help like Triple A or 911.
If your phone has reception. We've driven many highways that have "dead" zones (Verizon notwithstanding).

1. roads have "heater"
Can you describe that please?

If your phone has reception. We've driven many highways that have "dead" zones (Verizon notwithstanding).

Can you describe that please?

What's Verizon notwithstanding?

Now we are actually talking. Why is america so scared and so much saying it cost too much for solar panels??

It is expensive. due to the demand is not as high.

for instance. OIL companies don't want us to.

so if we can convert to solar. even hybrid lamps on highways.

The problem is.. I does cost. but in the long run???

solar power system is very inefficient & very expensive on large scale but if it comes to a very simple electronic device - it's cost-effective. America is not scared but they are very practical in terms of cost-benefit analysis. those people who accuse oil company of stemming energy-efficient technology - they are the one who do not understand the science & business side of it. They don't realize that oil companies ARE investing in energy-efficient technology because they ARE the one selling it. They can make profit from it!

btw - the LED along highway.. it's powered by solar.

prototype model -
roadstar.jpg

but we're talking about highway/interstate... not local roads or city roads.
Yes Jiro. I didn't pay attention to what I posted. I am going to reread this thread once again before I respond.

OK

I have a vehicle that uses gas.

but if people would use more energy efficient cars or power. another words to convert!

would it allow those companies to have more fundings to find better methods and ways?

It is still new. Oil companies are one of the richest industries their is. Do you truly believe that they will allow a cheaper method in the long run?

Oil companies will do anything as any other company do.... Is to protect themselves from a downfall from competitions.

Right now we depend on oil. Supply and Demand.

so if alternative solutions were to invade. :hmm:

I know that they've made heated driveways for many years but I didn't know they were heating highways, too.

I don't think they do but they applied for patent anyway... probably not cost-feasible.. I don't know if "snow country" does use it or not.... :dunno:

OK

I have a vehicle that uses gas.

but if people would use more energy efficient cars or power. another words to convert!
that is precisely what green companies (aka a front for oil companies) are lobbying against. They don't want "DIY" conversion because they want you to buy their products.

would it allow those companies to have more fundings to find better methods and ways?
they are already investing heavily on it because it will be profitable for them in the future. They have to stay ahead of the game and be ready to pull it out when oil gets phased out (probably by federal regulation and/or customer demand).

It is still new. Oil companies are one of the richest industries their is. Do you truly believe that they will allow a cheaper method in the long run?
No it is not new. It has been around for lot longer than you thought. They just keep it in their R&D labs while continuing to squeeze out as much profits as they can from oil until it's no longer profitable. It's a common misconception that green-friendly technology means cheap cheap cheap for you. Yes you will save a hell lot of bills but.... buying it is a different story. They are expensive. That's how they make profits! Oil Company profits from CONTINUATION. It's a typical "razor-and-blade" business model. You buy razor but you need to keep buying blades for life.

with green-friendly technology, they profit from SELLING it at high price. I'd like to call this IPOD business model. IPOD has a built-in battery and it lasts for x-years. If it dies, you have to buy another IPOD.

Oil companies will do anything as any other company do.... Is to protect themselves from a downfall from competitions.

Right now we depend on oil. Supply and Demand.

so if alternative solutions were to invade. :hmm:
see above. it explains nicely, I hope. Oil Companies KNOW oil demand will go down. That's why they invest in green tech as part of their umbrella companies. Trust me - they're not that stupid. You're talking about a group of businessmen who have been doing this for centuries and they're the one who set the example of business models and they're the one who teach the business at Harvard/Princeton/Yale

:cool2:

that is precisely what green companies (aka a front for oil companies) are lobbying against. They don't want "DIY" conversion because they want you to buy their products.

they are already investing heavily on it because it will be profitable for them in the future. They have to stay ahead of the game and be ready to pull it out when oil gets phased out (probably by federal regulation and/or customer demand).

No it is not new. It has been around for lot longer than you thought. They just keep it in their R&D labs while continuing to squeeze out as much profits as they can from oil until it's no longer profitable. It's a common misconception that green-friendly technology means cheap cheap cheap for you. Yes you will save a hell lot of bills but.... buying it is a different story. They are expensive. That's how they make profits! Oil Company profits from CONTINUATION. It's a typical "razor-and-blade" business model. You buy razor but you need to keep buying blades for life.

with green-friendly technology, they profit from SELLING it at high price. I'd like to call this IPOD business model. IPOD has a built-in battery and it lasts for x-years. If it dies, you have to buy another IPOD.

see above. it explains nicely, I hope. Oil Companies KNOW oil demand will go down. That's why they invest in green tech as part of their umbrella companies. Trust me - they're not that stupid. You're talking about a group of businessmen who have been doing this for centuries and they're the one who set the example of business models and they're the one who teach the business at Harvard/Princeton/Yale

:cool2:

So with the all above post. It is nothing but a competition.

Sad to say we will no know for a long long time who will eventually be cheaper and greener.

Nor greener....( I'm including the money greener too) along with environmental greener.

So with the all above post. It is nothing but a competition.

Sad to say we will no know for a long long time who will eventually be cheaper and greener.

Nor greener....( I'm including the money greener too) along with environmental greener.

yes but except one thing. Nothing is going to be cheaper as long as there's capitalism.... :mad2:

cheap to maintain, cheap overhead cost, cheap utility bill, cheap cheap cheap. the concept of "cheaper" etc is always a constant illusion paraded by the parent company (indirectly) to obfuscate the reality (the paradox of economy). That's how they make you buy their products into thinking it'll be cheaper for you!

hey hey.. atlanta.
security cameras posed around any perimeter with those green evil led eyes looking at you in the pitch black eve. they have a name for those suckers. night vision!
let's put a smile on that face, look good for the camera.
536-night_vision2.standalone.prod_affiliate.25.jpg

I live about 15 minutes from atlanta and it's a very dangerous city to drive in. I cannot imagine what turning off the lights on the high way will do, especially for inexperienced drivers or out of towners who visit atlanta for our many attractions.

they've not gone out yet, thankfully.

I think Atlanta/Ga could find other way by deleting such a wasteful program paid by their taxes in order to cover this highway lighting. A million dollars per year is not that much by standard, right?

Back