Atlanta's latest cost cutting measure? Turning off the lights on the interstates

I have *never* seen an interstate with lights. I see many people turning up to high beams at night and never had a problem with it being too dark. No lights equals no light-changers to hit.

most of Palisade Parkway are unlit. I hate it when people turn on high beam behind me or from opposite direction.

most of Palisade Parkway are unlit. I hate it when people turn on high beam behind me or from opposite direction.

Is it rude to use high beam headlight?

I had experienced like that and very annoying, ugh.

Fight brews over cost of lights on interstates | ajc.com

Yikes - It's bad enough to the point where they're debating on wanting to turn off the interstate lights just so that way they can try to save some money.

actually I support this because they're just turning light off on interstates that are not heavily used. It says "It carries 380,000 vehicles a day, many of them from out of state" - that is relatively light! If this is the road where there are more than 800,000 vehicles a day.. then yes keep the light on.

You don't really need to keep ALL lights on... you can just keep light on every certain yards... just like emergency telephone is placed every several miles I prefer driving on unlit interstate because it is less distracting.

They really should invest in energy-saving way to light the highway. I read about a very interesting article about installing LED lights along the highway... which is exactly like airport runaways. The research study shows that this is safer. see below - it is economically and environmentally friendly.

solar_led_highway.jpg

Is it rude to use high beam headlight?

I had experienced like that and very annoying, ugh.

yes of course. it's a common courtesy and it's the law as well to turn off high beam when you pass by somebody or if you're behind somebody. :mad2:

actually I support this because they're just turning light off on interstates that are not heavily used. It says "It carries 380,000 vehicles a day, many of them from out of state" - that is relatively light! If this is the road where there are more than 800,000 vehicles a day.. then yes keep the light on.

You don't really need to keep ALL lights on... you can just keep light on every certain yards... just like emergency telephone is placed every several miles I prefer driving on unlit interstate because it is less distracting.

They really should invest in energy-saving way to light the highway. I read about a very interesting article about installing LED lights along the highway... which is exactly like airport runaways. The research study shows that this is safer. see below - it is economically and environmentally friendly.

solar_led_highway.jpg

How is it safer by using the LED lights along on the highways? Supposedly, If a car has a flat tire or breaks down for no apparent reason and with the LED lights along the highway, It would pose some dangers for the disabled car and also for other drivers that are not able to notice the disabled car on the shoulder. The LED lights are only helpful when a driver drives on the road to view the lanes but it would still not exactly solve the problem in a heavily populated city with constant traffic flow.

However, I do agree - They should be able to start investing in an energy-saving method.

"Parts of I-20, I-75 and I-85 go through Atlanta’s city limits. That includes complicated — and potentially dangerous — multi-lane stretches of the Downtown Connector, where I-85 and I-75 converge and drivers weave between HOV and exit lanes branching and curving in and out. It carries 380,000 vehicles a day, many of them from out of state."

That's the key. That is not a clear straightaway of highway--it's an area of exits and cross connectors going thru the city. Also, because it's an area traveled by out-of-towners, they aren't familiar with the quick lane changes and exits there.

We've driven in that area, and it can be tricky at night.

How is it safer by using the LED lights along on the highways? Supposedly, If a car has a flat tire or breaks down for no apparent reason and with the LED lights along the highway, It would pose some dangers for the disabled car and also for other drivers that are not able to notice the disabled car on the shoulder. The LED lights are only helpful when a driver drives on the road to view the lanes but it would still not exactly solve the problem in a heavily populated city with constant traffic flow.

However, I do agree - They should be able to start investing in an energy-saving method.

Mind you - the highway like in the pix are usually not usually the heavily-used type but it is a good/alternative solution for budget issue. It's just a long stretch of road. so it's impractical and wasteful to install streetlights and to keep them on all night long when there are probably a couple dozen cars per hour. however - certain area on highway should be well-lit if it poses a possible danger. For example - on/off-ramp, blind curves, etc. Obviously - the heavily-used highways are always well-lit.

As for your concern about car breakdown and whatnot... IMO - each car should be equipped with a small emergency kit like most german cars and I believe it's the responsibility for each driver to be properly equipped and safety-conscious. A small emergency kit would be a flashlight, flare, and triangle reflector. Now here's a smart thing... each of LED along the highway can be controlled and switched to different color. If there is a car breakdown, the next logical course of action for driver is to call for help and they have to give their location. With that location info - the road service is able to program the LED a mile behind the disabled car to switch the LED to YELLOW color (advanced warning color) to alert the incoming drivers of hazard ahead. How cool is that?????

Beside... when you have a car breakdown, you just simply turn on your emergency light and light up the flare or warning triangle reflector.

what crimes? how do you commit crime on major highway? (except DUI/road rage)

A lot of crimes. People don't pay attention on major roadways anyhoo. Rape victims have been dropped off. Umm bodies have been dumped.

Shootings have happened on roads,

So please spare the "what crimes" because it does happen.

A lot of crimes. People don't pay attention on major roadways anyhoo. Rape victims have been dropped off. Umm bodies have been dumped.

Shootings have happened on roads,

So please spare the "what crimes" because it does happen.

WTF! dumping rape victims on highway? goddam... that's just sick. :mad2: I was thinking more of like.... mugging someone in middle of highway. I wasn't thinking of something heinous like above.

oh well... we can't just light up every road because of possible crimes...

Mind you - the highway like in the pix are usually not usually the heavily-used type but it is a good/alternative solution for budget issue. It's just a long stretch of road. so it's impractical and wasteful to install streetlights and to keep them on all night long when there are probably a couple dozen cars per hour. however - certain area on highway should be well-lit if it poses a possible danger. For example - on/off-ramp, blind curves, etc. Obviously - the heavily-used highways are always well-lit.

As for your concern about car breakdown and whatnot... IMO - each car should be equipped with a small emergency kit like most german cars and I believe it's the responsibility for each driver to be properly equipped and safety-conscious. A small emergency kit would be a flashlight, flare, and triangle reflector. Now here's a smart thing... each of LED along the highway can be controlled and switched to different color. If there is a car breakdown, the next logical course of action for driver is to call for help and they have to give their location. With that location info - the road service is able to program the LED a mile behind the disabled car to switch the LED to YELLOW color (advanced warning color) to alert the incoming drivers of hazard ahead. How cool is that?????

Beside... when you have a car breakdown, you just simply turn on your emergency light and light up the flare or warning triangle reflector.

I see, Thanks for the explanation.

As for the safety issue - I do agree that each driver should have their car equipped with an emergency kit but we all know that not every drivers out there do that. That's the thing - We need to try to make it safe for everyone as possible as we can regardless if the driver doesn't have an emergency kit on bay.

I'm finding it interesting to see how the LED can be programmed to be switched. Is there any out there on the roads that you know of other than the ones at the airports?

I remember back then, most roads didn't have a reflective lane splitter (or whatever it is called? :dunno:) and after it was implemented, it has made a big improvement when the headlights are reflecting the lane splitter.

WTF! dumping rape victims on highway? goddam... that's just sick. :mad2: I was thinking more of like.... mugging someone in middle of highway. I wasn't thinking of something heinous like above.

oh well... we can't just light up every road because of possible crimes...

Less lights more criminal actions and hit and runs will be more likely. More accidents.

Maybe they can compromise to turn off the lights at late night when traffic is less. for a few hours at a time. to see how it works out.

Im thinking like between 12am to 4am Four hours would cut back some money and the traffic is no where near as heavy.

Less lights more criminal actions and hit and runs will be more likely. More accidents.
I can understand from your viewpoint but as a logical person, I'll need to see statistic or any findings to support that statement. If it's any consolidation - highways have security cameras and highway patrol station at every certain miles.

Maybe they can compromise to turn off the lights at late night when traffic is less. for a few hours at a time. to see how it works out.

Im thinking like between 12am to 4am Four hours would cut back some money and the traffic is no where near as heavy.
remember in gym when you turn on the light... it takes a while for it to turn on? same thing. You can't simply turn on and off at once. And that is probably what they're proposing. I doubt they're gonna completely cut off all lights for a whole night.

I understand about how long it takes for lights to take to shut down and turn on. If the the timing is right it is possible.

As for statistics look at the news. Constantly seeing crimes happening off interstates.

Major and minor crimes. And even the WTF crimes that you were referring to.

Check it out!

I agree something needs to be done. Not only in Atlanta. But elsewhere.

The people need to compromise and agree on what needs to be done.

I see, Thanks for the explanation.

As for the safety issue - I do agree that each driver should have their car equipped with an emergency kit but we all know that not every drivers out there do that. That's the thing - We need to try to make it safe for everyone as possible as we can regardless if the driver doesn't have an emergency kit on bay.
they can simply make it a mandatory law. If they don't have the kit.. that's what emergency parking light is for! :laugh2: and beside - many have cellphone so they can simply call for help like Triple A or 911.

I'm finding it interesting to see how the LED can be programmed to be switched. Is there any out there on the roads that you know of other than the ones at the airports?

I remember back then, most roads didn't have a reflective lane splitter (or whatever it is called? :dunno:) and after it was implemented, it has made a big improvement when the headlights are reflecting the lane splitter.
1. roads have "heater"
2. some places actually have small tunnel underneath for critters to crawl thru to get to other side
3. you can install electronic billboard at certain locations to display messages.
4. Autobahn is simply the best best best example of road safety and efficient traffic management.

and yes the reflective lane splitter was a good idea at that time but here's a couple of critical problems - one... it's not effective enough to clearly mark the road when the weather gets bad (poor visibility) and two... on pitch-black night on long straight road... it can causes people to feel drowsy. Drowsy Driving is a huge huge problem. Infamous example - Highway 1 in Australia which is the longest straight road (90 miles).

I understand about how long it takes for lights to take to shut down and turn on. If the the timing is right it is possible.

As for statistics look at the news. Constantly seeing crimes happening off interstates.

Major and minor crimes. And even the WTF crimes that you were referring to.

Check it out!

I agree something needs to be done. Not only in Atlanta. But elsewhere.

The people need to compromise and agree on what needs to be done.

:hmm: I think we're getting mixed up on type of roads. I'll get back to you in a moment.. my dinner's ready :cool2:

Jiro, if places like Newark, Camden and even the South Bronx are unlit, would you feel safe driving through rough neighbourhoods in those places?

I believe the city of Atlanta recently asked GA DOT to look into ways to save money such as using solar-powered or led lamps.

Jiro, if places like Newark, Camden and even the South Bronx are unlit, would you feel safe driving through rough neighbourhoods in those places?

but we're talking about highway/interstate... not local roads or city roads.

:hmm: I think we're getting mixed up on type of roads. I'll get back to you in a moment.. my dinner's ready :cool2:

ok I think we're getting confused about the type of road. i want to make sure that we're on same page. I'm mainly talking about a long stretch state highway/interstate with nothing around - just mostly forest. I'm not talking about city highway like 9A/Hudson Parkway/Joe DiMaggio Highway (they're all same name for one famous city highway in NYC) or the highway that goes thru city like Newark/Camden. Of course those kind of highway MUST BE LIT for safety reason. But for long stretch highway.... I don't see any need for it. When I was in plane flying over NJ/NY/FL states during evening couple months ago.. I see tons of lighted empty roads with nothing around. I was thinking - damn... what a waste of electricity... and yet it makes a beautiful scene

so are we on the same page or are we already on the same page and you still have the concern about it?

Now we are actually talking. Why is america so scared and so much saying it cost too much for solar panels??

It is expensive. due to the demand is not as high.

for instance. OIL companies don't want us to.

so if we can convert to solar. even hybrid lamps on highways.

The problem is.. I does cost. but in the long run???

Back