Asperger Syndrome--let's discuss

It tends to comfort people on the spectrum to notice many successful and historical figures probably were a representation of us.

People with ASD get picked on a lot.

Well said. :hug: Botts!

Some people do not realise they actually self-project a lot of damage towards other people with ASD as well as other behavioural oddities.

IMHO, to be an oddity is much better than to be a bully. I am an oddity and I find myself closer to members who identify themselves as an oddity.

My niece took some of these magic pills and they made nearly did her in!
Pills do not work for everyone!

This is why my oldest sister refused to medicate my nephew when he was diagnosed with ADD. Ritalin had too many side effects than positive benefits.

maybe they shouldn't live near highways?

Study: Living Near a Highway May Contribute to Autism Risk – TIME Healthland

Are you seriously debating that drug companies are NOT going to find a way to profit off of this?

Seriously?

Oh, puh-leeze. Again with your grudge against drug companies and psychologists. You really need to deal with your issues and stop projecting them onto everything else.

That study says it might, I repeat: MIGHT be a factor that contributes. Nothing definitive. Learn to analyze research reports properly.

This is why my oldest sister refused to medicate my nephew when he was diagnosed with ADD. Ritalin had too many side effects than positive benefits.

And for some, that is the case. Additionally, there are mild cases of ADD or ADHD that can be handled behaviorally rather than with medication. That is why is is not advisable to use a general physician for the evaluation and treatment of ADD or ADHD. Their first line of tx will always be medication.

The side effects of some pills do out weight the benefits! I really think the drugs companies made their pills so they will give you so side effects like major heartburn so you will have to buy their pills for your heartburn!

The side effects of some pills do out weight the benefits! I really think the drugs companies made their pills so they will give you so side effects like major heartburn so you will have to buy their pills for your heartburn!

Yep, it's a conspiracy. Gawd knows no one wants to have their cancer gone if they have to have hearburn as a result. No one wants to be halluncination free if it means that they have to deal with constipation.:lol:

:hug: You just said it so compassionately, I'd think you were a parent already.

Do you think you can share more about your job? Like jillio said, accomodations for other disabilities have really grown.

Thank you, Mrs B... one day I would love to be a dad but ah hmm...

As for my job, basically I do data entry for my company, updating and adding new contacts for peoples (mostly parents and some grandparents) of kids and also businesses who do daily business with this company for the specialized bikes and chill out chairs and more... I have rode a specialized bike (more of hand cycle bike but the bike level was sooo low and etc..) and understood why after riding that bike for a bit.. hard to move the front wheel but how the pedals are used for the arms to cycle hard instead of the legs (for kids with CP that would prove difficult) and I thought it was a cool bike to ride.. what fun that was.. I have gone into the shop area while on lunch break to see the different bikes being made and assembled for shipping to demo places, to customers who have ordered them and more.... I have spoken with some designers who work here with me, about some things regarding the bikes and more.. and understood why some certain bike parts would have to be modified for kids (in case some adults) to be able to ride their custom-made bikes with no problems... I would love to be able to do something like that with them in the near future as well as my data entry work... the company's name is Freedom Concepts Inc. and is really a great place to work there and fun as well! That is why I enjoy working there and hope to advance more there in the future .. would be nice to do something more for FC *btw FC has a US based company in California as well, that I do know*

Yep, it's a conspiracy. Gawd knows no one wants to have their cancer gone if they have to have hearburn as a result. No one wants to be halluncination free if it means that they have to deal with constipation.:lol:

Heartburn can cause cancer if it not treated it can cause other health issues to. I am not going to take med that is going to made my heartburn worst and some the med you take for heartburn been removed from the markets . If I do not get cancer I am not taking anything .

And for some, they are life saving. They could not function without them.

I said it does not work for everyone , I know there are people that can't function without them , I was a health aid for nine years and know my clients needed their meds to help keep their blood pressure down etc.

Well, in all honesty, they have point about the drug pushers in this country, but, you also make a good point. Drug therapy does have side effects. We know this and should expect it, which is why people need to be monitered when they opt for treatment. However, medication can also be a life saver for people.

I do not have asperger's, but as some on here know, I have other illnesses and am on a litany of medication. One of those conditions is ADD, for which, I was prescribed ritalin. I've had ADD for most of my life, but, was NOT treated for it until this year. Truth be told, I don't know how I got on with out the meds. I adapted to my forgetfulness and distractability, but it was hard living that way. I only now realize how hard it was since being treated has made life so much better for me.

Well, in all honesty, they have point about the drug pushers in this country, but, you also make a good point. Drug therapy does have side effects. We know this and should expect it, which is why people need to be monitered when they opt for treatment. However, medication can also be a life saver for people.

I do not have asperger's, but as some on here know, I have other illnesses and am on a litany of medication. One of those conditions is ADD, for which, I was prescribed ritalin. I've had ADD for most of my life, but, was NOT treated for it until this year. Truth be told, I don't know how I got on with out the meds. I adapted to my forgetfulness and distractability, but it was hard living that way. I only now realize how hard it was since being treated has made life so much better for me.

Exactly. You naturally adapted to the way your brain functions. But it can be extremely difficult. One just needs to weigh the advantages of the medication against the drawbacks...a cost / benefit analysis. That is something that should be done with any medication recommended for any reason.

my experience

I was (finally) correctly diagnosed with "moderate AS" a little over two years ago. I also found out (more recently) that I have PTSD. I also have OCD, TS, and an IQ in the "exceptionally gifted" range. I have some "savant" talents: languages/linguistics, tech work (computers, media equipment), and visual-spatial thinking (advanced "picture" thought) for things like theological concepts and other "systems." I have been getting OT (occupational therapy) since last July for "sensory integration disorder." I wear binaural HA's most of the time, and use a "terp" for medical, therapeutic, and business appointments. I have learned to use "sim-com" in the past two years (ESPECIALLY in the past year) and I am now (more or less) "conversationally fluent" in PSE. I have learned many, many new signs from other Deaf/HOH and from some very skilled "terps."

I was (finally) correctly diagnosed with "moderate AS" a little over two years ago. I also found out (more recently) that I have PTSD. I also have OCD, TS, and an IQ in the "exceptionally gifted" range. I have some "savant" talents: languages/linguistics, tech work (computers, media equipment), and visual-spatial thinking (advanced "picture" thought) for things like theological concepts and other "systems." I have been getting OT (occupational therapy) since last July for "sensory integration disorder." I wear binaural HA's most of the time, and use a "terp" for medical, therapeutic, and business appointments. I have learned to use "sim-com" in the past two years (ESPECIALLY in the past year) and I am now (more or less) "conversationally fluent" in PSE. I have learned many, many new signs from other Deaf/HOH and from some very skilled "terps."

Why do you use so many quote marks? Those are real words and it does not make sense.

Maybe that's an aspect of the syndrome? :dunno:

HFA and perfectly able to write the English language. I have never seen it.

And I do know many other people on the spectrum.

She must have some other reason.

HFA and perfectly able to write the English language. I have never seen it.

And I do know many other people on the spectrum.

She must have some other reason.
Drphil does the same thing in his posts.

Drphil does the same thing in his posts.

I checked and you are correct. Now I am going to be stuck mentally watching people for excessive quote marks in the wrong places. :hmm:

Back