Asperger Syndrome--let's discuss

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
The topic of Asperger Syndrome has been mentioned, here and there, in various threads. I wanted to start a thread that could consolidate some of that discussion into one place for easier following. I confess that I don't know enough about it, and I'm sure others would like to know more, too.

Some ADers have mentioned that they have personal experience with Aspergers.

Also, Aspergers has been in the news recently as a result of criminal trials:

Odgren trial ~ Mass. v. Odgren

Aspergers is even mentioned in pop TV culture:

Gil Grissom (Character) - Biography

Possible historical figures with Asperger Syndrome or tendencies:

Famous People with Aspergers Syndrome

What is the best school setting for children with Aspergers?

What do you think about the merger of Asperger Syndrom with autism?

Move to merge Asperger's, autism in diagnostic manual stirs debate - CNN

There are many aspects to this topic that can be covered.

:wave: Reba
I personally like this idea. When I worked with people with cognitive disabilities, some of the consumers in my caseload had severe or profound autism. So I have that experience, but that's not the same as mild autism or Asp. I've read some things but I always like to learn more and I feel that by learning more I can become more patient and understanding.

Dr. Temple Grandin also has several books that she's written about autism-

I totally recommend Dr. Temple Grandin books. She is autistic herself, and extremely bright. The bio movie was just released-- 'Temple Grandin'. It is fantastic. It helps people understand more about autism, and see through Temple Grandin's eyes, because she thinks in pictures.

My niece has asperger.

Wirelessly posted

One of My relative was diagnosed as aspergers. Over the years , he does have a hard time socializing. And a difficult time understand that some of the things he does is dangerous. He loves his momma though.

They still have to put him to sleep just to have his teeth cleaning. And he still eat only applesauce, oatmeal, and yogurt. He rarely eat anything and if you try to make him eat something else..you have to hold him down and force feed him.

But they don't do that. They take him a school for autism to help him with self control and other issues he is having.

Last edited:
agree, Barbaro! She is coming to my area next year to present on animal behavior and hope I go-

I just read a book written by someone with Asperberger called "Atypical"
it was good.

Deafgal-

Temple Grandin eats only yogurt and jello daily.

Dogmom-
That is great! you should go next year.

Ah I work for a company that make specialized bikes for people (mostly kids) with disabilities like CP and others.. but my company also make some special items like a chill out chair for other people with autism, and I do know this as I have seen these items and am impressed with how everyone in the company is doing this.. we do have demo days and etc for everyone all over North America and more.. and am always trying to develop more relationships to estabish all over the world and connect with new customers who are looking for things to help with members of their families and same can be said for businesses who are looking to help out that way as well...

agree, Barbaro! She is coming to my area next year to present on animal behavior and hope I go-

I just read a book written by someone with Asperberger called "Atypical"
it was good.

Her books are excellent. She portrays it from a first person perspective, and that can be dratically different than a second hand account.

I find that a lot of people that probably meet the diagnostic criteria for Asperger's are often undiagnosed. Many times, kids with Asperger's go through behavior mod programs that are designed for kids with other problems because Asperger's kids are usually extremely high functioning and intelligent. It manifests only in a few typical behavioral symptoms. Treatment should focus on using the strengths these kids have instead of focusing on the weakness.

I went to school with kids that had severe degrees of Autism. And my close friend had Asperger's, but I do not think it had that name at the time. I think I heard teachers call it Social Anxiety Disorder.
A school doctor said my son had 'autistic tendencies' but he wouldn't sit still long enough for that in depth tests, because of his ADHD. One doc wanted to put his IQ "severely below average' because he refused to do the second half of the IQ test.

:Oops: I didn't mean to derail the thread LOL

Jillio, yeah I've wondered about that, the under-diagnosis of certain things like Aspberger - and then there's the over-diagnosis of certain things, too, especially within certain populations. I think the Asp./autism spectrum differentiations can be confusing sometimes depending on professional you're discussing with.
I also really enjoyed Dr. Grandin's movie-

Julie, I think it's interesting how the names of different things change, like when I was in Special Ed as a kid, I remember going to therapy with kids with autism, but then it was called childhood schizophrenia.
and I don't think you derailed...

Sometimes I think our son have Asperger's. He shows a very mild symptoms of it. when I look at my relative, I think, "our son does that too!"

\

Last edited:
deafgal, that reminds me how I wonder about my hubby, he has some mild signs too. He can get very fixated on patterns, lights, shimmering, has extreme attention to detail and can get fixated on topics, ideas, has a very hard time with change, no sense of body language and difficulty with social cues. He is however, very bright and talented in mechanics, engineering, programming areas.

Is it true that Autism usually from family with a history of ADHD/ADD? I read that somewhere.

Julie, I think it's interesting how the names of different things change, like when I was in Special Ed as a kid, I remember going to therapy with kids with autism, but then it was called childhood schizophrenia.
and I don't think you derailed...

OK good I feel better..
I myself was diagnosed as a child as Emotional Disturbed. Years later I have been diagnosed with ADHD & severe dyscalculia. I cannot break myself of staring into reflective surfaces. So I wonder sometimes due to my own problems with not being able to read people correctly if I might be totally misdiagnosed. LOL

Ah I work for a company that make specialized bikes for people (mostly kids) with disabilities like CP and others.. but my company also make some special items like a chill out chair for other people with autism, and I do know this as I have seen these items and am impressed with how everyone in the company is doing this.. we do have demo days and etc for everyone all over North America and more.. and am always trying to develop more relationships to estabish all over the world and connect with new customers who are looking for things to help with members of their families and same can be said for businesses who are looking to help out that way as well...

We were at my mother's once and my sister was there with her daughter that has asperger . Her father was trying to get her to ride a tricycle and she could not do it Her dad started yelling at her and getting really angry! My sister just when into the house as she is afraid of her husband! I told the jerk to stop yelling at his daughter !

I was reading "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis (fascinating insight into the build-up of the 2008 crash) and I felt related to one of people in the book. He noticed he was good at certain things and picked up on some things really well and other things not so well. Just shrugged it off like it was simply a little unusual. Later, it would become a more significant problem when he got married and they found out he had Asperger's. That's when I looked it into more and seems to "fit" what I am, but it's not like I'm rushing to get "treatment" or anything it's just knowing yourself and sort of correcting the "odd" things. But that's when I came across the term and became more aware of that and Autism in general.

Good thread btw, I'll look in the recommended books because I'm fascinated by clinical pyschology.

I know Mathew Gray Gubler on Criminal Minds portrays Dr. Spencer Reid as though he has Aspberger's. It's never totally mentioned. (he's the genius profiler on the show).

We were at my mother's once and my sister was there with her daughter that has asperger . Her father was trying to get her to ride a tricycle and she could not do it Her dad started yelling at her and getting really angry! My sister just when into the house as she is afraid of her husband! I told the jerk to stop yelling at his daughter !

Well that was not a very positive way for that guy to yell at his daughter.. plainly dumb and also humiliating for that little girl to be yelled at for not being able to ride a tricycle.. I think the father really should have been patient and more encouraging and also thinking of ways to help his daughter be able to move well with the tricycle...

The girl could benefit from riding a custom-made bike that could fit her needs and more.. I'm sure it would be helpful if so...

You know, I bet that is really an interesting and rewarding job. Until I went back to grad school I didn't realize how many accommodations there were for other disabilities. It still amazes me.

Back