ASL teacher qualifications?

blank canvas

Reaction score
Ok so first off this is not for an asl class or paper of any kind.

I want to know what you feel and ASL teachers ability, or skill level should be. What knowledge should they have of the language and culture when educating young children and their families basic sign language.

Can you be as specific as possible with your responses and please explain your reasoning for your answer

Thank you for any and all input, and I do plan to explain the reason for the question later :)

Why not explain your reason now?

because I worry it will turn this into a debate rather then getting unbiased opinions you know how easily that can happen lol

Someone who educates children and their families? Is this someone tutoring individual families in the learners' homes vs. teaching multiple families or children in a classroom environment? By ability and skill level, do you mean in terms of teaching ability/skill or ASL ability/skill?

There's such a continuum possible there. From personal experience:

Family sign in my home: exposure to a Deaf person (or persons) was critical -- we learned more having dinners, lunches interacting with and watching the interactions with and between our teacher and her husband than off the pages of our lesson book. Teaching ability wasn't as important as exposure was: understanding the customs, seeing the fluency possible, establishing a friendship, becoming aware of how a deaf person communicates and seeing the language unfold well beyond learning vocabulary words. Seeing someone make ASL come alive in day to day life. Our family sign instructor was so wonderful, not because of her ability to teach us sign (which she had as well :) even though I'm a terrible student), but because of her ability to make a connection with us, without relying on voice or notes, etc. (Yes, sometimes we got into complex issues that required passing our handy notebook back and forth, but even that was a lesson in itself). She's probably horrified at the limits of my signing, but she never makes me feel like a bumbling dope. I mean, I still feel like one, but she's not the one doing it. She's old school Deaf with a whole lot of pain in her heart from her own childhood who might protest CIs vehemently on weekends, but never, never makes me worry that there's anything but love in her heart for my little cyborg. She brought us together with other Deaf families, with other deaf children. She brought the community we didn't know existed to us. Four years later: she teaches at my daughter's school and my daughter adores her (opting to leave her auditory access class every Friday to take part in this teacher's class conducted in ASL-only), she was my daughter's first choice for her very 1st videophone call and we happen to be having dinner with this lovely lady and her family tonight after too long :) ).

I wanted my early ASLI, II, III teachers in classroom environments to be skilled at teaching, able to convey what was to be learned (as opposed to having the depth and breadth of ASL and the ability to wield it in true discourse), because we were just building foundations and I need to know what there is to know at a basic level and get over that hump between learning vocabulary and learning how to use it. I needed someone who signed very precisely, someone who would be watching for comprehension, probing for it, and repeating patiently. More teacher than signer (not sure if that makes sense). Really liked my ASL I/II teacher, very active in Deaf community, made ASL fun, and yet pushed us: she made me feel energized!

At more advanced levels, I want my teachers to have subject area expertise, I'm then directing my own learning -- I need ASL users who are really using the language to its fullest, with great precision, likely native ASL users.

I personally think that anybody trying to teach any subject or skill on any level should be knowledgeable and proficient so that they can ensure that they are teaching others correctly. I cringe when I hear of people who sign some variation of SEE and think it's ASL because that's what their instructor ignorantly told them.

Thanks for the responses :)

@ mountain man that is what happened with me I was taught SEE for a year and a half and then had to transition to ASL very confusing

Ok I received a few complaints about not putting the reason for the post, and I agree with their points so the reason:

First a little background my daughter was born deaf and I lost my hearing after due to health after she was born due to being sick my sign skills are not superb to say the least.

Anyway I met a woman who has three autistic boys two are non-verbal, her and some other parents created a summer camp for non-verbal kids with autism. She asked me to teach her and the other parents basic sign using Signing naturally textbooks. I of course declined but asked if I could volunteer as a 'helper' for the camp.

She emailed me back insisting the other parents were aware of my limited skill but insisted they want me to teach because they feel more comfortable dealing with a parent who gets it. (let me point out my daughter is not autistic, I think what she meant was that I also learned for my kid)

I made this thread so I could send her a link to help her understand that not only am I not qualified but it wouldn't be fair to them or their kids to learn from someone who is still learning themselves.

Have you searched around for any available ASL classes?

If the parents are willing and motivated now, it seems a shame to squelch that enthusiasm.

Perhaps you know someone in the Deaf community who is qualified and willing to take on the role of instructor.

I actually did let them know I could refer them to someone who would be more than qualified I have a pretty long list of people I could ask. I even told her I have no life and would love top volunteer this summer and I csn help them practice during that time while also helping with games and activities with thr kids to encourage language. That I can handle yet they still need and deserve someone with proper credentials

They want to try an asl immersion style camp this summer which I think is a great idea! But they need to higher people who are fluent rather then trying to stay within their comfort zone. The kids range from I believe 5-11 and some only know a few basic signs

We actually had a thread already on this, didn't we? Let me go see ...

I am so bad at doing research in finding threads that are "old". I think this might be what I'm thinking of, but I'm not sure. Maybe go read it and see if it answers your thoughts? (The thread title is not what yours is, but I think what was discussed throughout the thread is very similar.)

I actually did let them know I could refer them to someone who would be more than qualified I have a pretty long list of people I could ask. I even told her I have no life and would love top volunteer this summer and I csn help them practice during that time while also helping with games and activities with thr kids to encourage language. That I can handle yet they still need and deserve someone with proper credentials

They want to try an asl immersion style camp this summer which I think is a great idea! But they need to higher people who are fluent rather then trying to stay within their comfort zone. The kids range from I believe 5-11 and some only know a few basic signs
Did they say why they don't want the people that you suggested to teach them?

We actually had a thread already on this, didn't we? Let me go see ...

I am so bad at doing research in finding threads that are "old". I think this might be what I'm thinking of, but I'm not sure. Maybe go read it and see if it answers your thoughts? (The thread title is not what yours is, but I think what was discussed throughout the thread is very similar.)

That seems to be more about hearing teaching deaf children so not quite what I am looking for, but thank you :)

Did they say why they don't want the people that you suggested to teach them?

No they didn't, it was more we would prefer you... I think its about comfort level and maybe feel I won't judge them. You most parents when they feel like they messed up feel that everyone is judging them, I could be wrong but thats the feeling I get

No they didn't, it was more we would prefer you... I think its about comfort level and maybe feel I won't judge them. You most parents when they feel like they messed up feel that everyone is judging them, I could be wrong but thats the feeling I get
One that I know who teaches the Signing Naturally course would never be judgmental or critical. He's also very patient. I've seen him in action in the classroom. I'm sure he's not the only one. In fact, now that I think about it, I know he's not the only one. None of my ASL instructors were judgmental or critical.

I hope you can find one, too.

I have yet to find one that is like that, and I even told her that anyone I would suggest would be patient and fun, and maybe I could ask around and find someone who has experience with autism :) Will wait and see we set up a meeting for tomorrow using an online chat room so I could talk to all of the parents without any communication barriers

Back