ASL student final is childhood story tips please.?

Wirelessly posted

Frisky Feline said:
Hold it everyone. Online can be tricky due to how to explain here with a video of our face or body language. However some of us who are native asl user but don't know how to explain because we ve been doing for years without realizing it. I don see in myself because i can't anaylze myself. I suggest anyone not to correct each other between each other. We all grow in different atmosphere and culture only according to states. I agree some of ur posts but some of you that I don't understand in my mind like a picture. Hey let me butt out. Lol

I can agree with that, maybe I don't realize I'm doing it, but I really don't think I ever do. I'll have to watch myself or something. :dunno2:

Wirelessly posted

I am certainly a native signer, but I do not raise my eyebrow at a subject change. If I change instantly I may express "oh!" Or something, but I do not perk up my eyebrow per subject change. I was not picking on anyone, I was simply defending myself from being called wrong on a language I've been using since I was young.

Wirelessly posted

I am certainly a native signer, but I do not raise my eyebrow at a subject change. If I change instantly I may express "oh!" Or something, but I do not perk up my eyebrow per subject change.
I was not picking on anyone, I was simply defending myself from being called wrong on a language I've been using since I was young.

Bold here me too. About the raise my eyebrow part. I agree

can i butt in a wee wee bit? Im not sure if im understanding all this, but one thing i might like ti ask, is raising eyebrows for changing subjects is quite patronizing? (I don't it, and I notice its hearing people who does the eyebrow raising for 'get it, big surprise agree?' kind of facial gestures....myself cock my head sideway a wee bit and staring into their eyes with a sign "understand?' or no? or agree? (followed by asking you agree?)

I wouldnt have a clue what ASL native is, apart from its their first language,and 'verbalising' like marlee matlin strikes me as 'a half and half', not really Deaf....maybe I'm too 'British?" as you see NZSL is much closer to BSL, then Australian's Auslan is closer to ASL...(as does Australian written English is closer to their American counterparts than does the New Zealand English speakers/writers being closer to the British).

can i butt in a wee wee bit? Im not sure if im understanding all this, but one thing i might like ti ask, is raising eyebrows for changing subjects is quite patronizing? (I don't it, and I notice its hearing people who does the eyebrow raising for 'get it, big surprise agree?' kind of facial gestures....myself cock my head sideway a wee bit and staring into their eyes with a sign "understand?' or no? or agree? (followed by asking you agree?)
The topical brow lift that they're referring to is done at the beginning, to introduce a topic. The one you're referring to at the end of a statement is more of an affirmation expression, like "did you get that?"

Part of the problem here is that native users of ANY language, spoken or signed, aren't always aware of the nuisances of there own language until they're pointed out to them. The spoken English there are rules of grammar and syntax, and different levels of formality. Some speakers follow the rules, some break them, some play with them. Most people aren't aware of them in their daily use. Hearing children learn to speak English years before they learn the rules of English.

People who are not native users of languages have to have the rules broken down and explained for their use. Things that native users do aren't' natural to non-native users.

Some people have a more natural gift for picking up the rules intuitively than other people but that doesn't mean there are no rules.

Also, just because some people, native users or not, don't follow all the rules doesn't mean that they are incomprehensible or can't become good communicators. Very few people use their native languages perfectly all the time, especially in informal interactions.

Professor Higgins in "My Fair Lady" makes this proclamation about language:

An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him.
The moment he talks he makes some other Englishman despise him.

One common language I'm afraid we'll never get,
Oh, why can't the English learn to set a good example to people whose
English is painful to your ears?

The Scots and the Irish leave you close to tears.
There even are places where English completely disappears.

In America, they haven't used it for years!

Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?
Norwegians learn Norwegian,
the Greeks are taught their Greek.
In France every Frenchman knows his language from "A" to "Zed"

The French never care what they do, actually, as long as they pronounce it properly.

Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning,
The Hebrews learn it backwards, which is absolutely frightening.
But use proper English and you're regarded as a freak.

Why can't the English,
Why can't the English, learn to speak?

Professor Higgins in "My Fair Lady" makes this proclamation about language:

An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him.
The moment he talks he makes some other Englishman despise him.

One common language I'm afraid we'll never get,
Oh, why can't the English learn to set a good example to people whose
English is painful to your ears?

The Scots and the Irish leave you close to tears.
There even are places where English completely disappears.

In America, they haven't used it for years!

Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?
Norwegians learn Norwegian,
the Greeks are taught their Greek.
In France every Frenchman knows his language from "A" to "Zed"

The French never care what they do, actually, as long as they pronounce it properly.

Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning,
The Hebrews learn it backwards, which is absolutely frightening.
But use proper English and you're regarded as a freak.

Why can't the English,
Why can't the English, learn to speak?

I like Higgin's ability to spot everything.
I am also quite fond of Sherlock Holmes ability to tell everything about a person by the clues they give with only minimal observation.

I like Higgin's ability to spot everything.
I am also quite fond of Sherlock Holmes ability to tell everything about a person by the clues they give with only minimal observation.
Holmes was the original criminologist profiler. He had facial recognition capabilities long before the software was created. :giggle:

I read everything of his when I was a kid, and I took to heart his techniques.

Back