ASL Student and Niece of Deaf Uncle

mrapoza

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Marissa. I am currently a Deaf Studies minor and a special education/child psychology major. My dream is to work with children who have behavioral problems or learning disabilities. I come from a family of teachers who are all fluent in ASL as they have all worked with deaf children from one time to another. My mother worked at a preschool for 5 years that was specifically designed for special needs children, most of the children there had some form of disability (down syndrome, mental retardation, severe autism..ect.) She used ASL in everything that she did to ensure the children understood her, 5 of the 18 children she worked with were down syndrome children who were deaf.

Growing up I was around my Uncle Randal alot. He was born deaf and taught me alot. I was his little girl! He started with teaching me the alphabet and then moved on to simple signs for a child, as I grew he would teach me more signs that I could use to describe my day at school or what I was doing during the summer. I loved my Uncle Randal. At his funeral 11 years ago I signed his favorite song for him.

Right now I currently help out the deaf ministry at my church along with a dance group that signs the song while they dance. The most important thing to me right now is to make sure that everyone knows the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

nwm2qt.jpg

To AllDeaf!

Hello and :welcome: to AD! Wonderful story of your childhood being taught ASL and you will be able to pass on that knowledge to others. Good luck with your studies! :)

Hope you will enjoy this informative and interesting forum. :)

thanks to everyone (Boatesini,Arkiegal,mrapoza)

Hello and thank you to everyone, who said hi to me
aslstudent

Hi, my name is Marissa. I am currently a Deaf Studies minor and a special education/child psychology major. My dream is to work with children who have behavioral problems or learning disabilities. I come from a family of teachers who are all fluent in ASL as they have all worked with deaf children from one time to another. My mother worked at a preschool for 5 years that was specifically designed for special needs children, most of the children there had some form of disability (down syndrome, mental retardation, severe autism..ect.) She used ASL in everything that she did to ensure the children understood her, 5 of the 18 children she worked with were down syndrome children who were deaf.

Growing up I was around my Uncle Randal alot. He was born deaf and taught me alot. I was his little girl! He started with teaching me the alphabet and then moved on to simple signs for a child, as I grew he would teach me more signs that I could use to describe my day at school or what I was doing during the summer. I loved my Uncle Randal. At his funeral 11 years ago I signed his favorite song for him.

Right now I currently help out the deaf ministry at my church along with a dance group that signs the song while they dance. The most important thing to me right now is to make sure that everyone knows the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

So, what is your philosophy? To teach HOH and deaf children to speak or using sign to educate them? You say you are majoring in Education; how do you plan to work with deaf children?

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. That is really amazing that you have experience with signs along with your family members. Keep doing what you are doing. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

:welcome: :wave: Hope you enjoy yourself on this website and it is awesome what your plans are and the background that you come from. I wish you every bit of luck in the path that God guides you on.

Marissa, welcome to AD. Uncle Randal was very fortunate to have you and the rest of your family.

Back