ASL online course (+certificate)

callisto

Reaction score
Hellooo!

I'm wondering if something like this exist.
Something like a course for ASL which is online and at the end (for example every semester / every half year) you get a certificate.

Not sure if you know what I mean..
I'll try to explain it again in a different way if it's not clear...

:cool:

--

I saw that signingonline.com offers certificates... but I'm wondering.. are these valueable? or just a 08/15....
(does the proverb 08/15 exist in english??)

good question.... i know theres plentiful of ASL online that u can use but im not sure if it will work in a way where u can get certificate like college ... i think ill look into that soon. thats very good question.

Trying to learn ASL online is like.. trying to read instructions on how to ride a bike.

You can read about it all you want, but the only way you're ever going to learn how to do it is getting out there in real life.

That said, I strongly suggest taking a local class, like at a deafness related organization or community college.

Since I don't live in the states it's not really possible to learn ASL.
And that's the problem.
(I guess there is noone who would offer me to talk to me via webcam and teach me a bit... since I'm a slow learner because of something which happend when I was a little kid, I don't want to go on someones nerves..)
But I do agree with you Aleser!

Spice, did you find anything yet?

Hellooo!

Something like a course for ASL which is online and at the end (for example every semester / every half year) you get a certificate.

--

I saw that signingonline.com offers certificates... but I'm wondering.. are these valueable? or just a 08/15....
\
I believe there is through the University of Colorado. You can check their website. Hope that helps you.

There is of course lifeprint.com, you wont get a certificate or degree, but its an excellent place to learn asl online.

Signingonline.com

I am a student of https://signingonline.com. I can't afford to go to an ASL University/College. I already have student loans. What I can afford to do is practice, practice, and practice in the mirror. I intend, as was suggested, to go out into the Deaf community and practice, practice, and practice some more. I will keep you posted about my progress. I am taking the Beginning course. I want to spend one week with each lesson. There are four courses, Beginning, Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced. I'll learn 200 signs with each course, 10 lessons per course. There are also supplements such as spelling, double letters, glossary, counting, dictionary, and Deaf culture lessons. With practice, I'll master about 800 signs after completing all four courses. I know that's not a lot, but it's much more than I know right now. I'll finish each course in ten weeks or less. Therefore, I expect to complete all four courses before the end of next year. You are given 4 months to complete each course.

I have to say that watching Lydia Callis, here in New York with Mayor Bloomberg, rejuvenated my interest in ASL. This time...I intend to go the distance. :cheers:

Additionally, I've noticed that not all of the governmental leaders utilize ASL Signers. We had a disaster here in New York with Hurricane Sandy. It's unfathomable that there were no ASL Signers for the Governors of New York and New Jersey. That should change especially when lives are at stake. I'm proud of Mayor Bloomberg for including an ASL Signer. At least the Deaf community in New York City was informed about sorely needed assistance from the government.

i know theres plentiful of ASL online that u can use but im not sure if it will work in a way where u can get certificate like college
a112.jpg

I would say that it depends on the purpose of getting a certificate. If it's to meet an educational or employment requirement then it would depend on what that agency accepts. If it's something nice to display on the wall, then that's something else.

The best thing is to meet ASL users too often. My co worker never take an ASL class and She picked up sign language from me pretty good. She can be able to communicate with other ASL users that she is too excited about it. She said that seeing ASL users and learning from them in person is MUCH easier. Lucky her that she knows sign language for FREE!

I am a student of https://signingonline.com. I can't afford to go to an ASL University/College. I already have student loans. What I can afford to do is practice, practice, and practice in the mirror. I intend, as was suggested, to go out into the Deaf community and practice, practice, and practice some more. I will keep you posted about my progress. I am taking the Beginning course. I want to spend one week with each lesson. There are four courses, Beginning, Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced. I'll learn 200 signs with each course, 10 lessons per course. There are also supplements such as spelling, double letters, glossary, counting, dictionary, and Deaf culture lessons. With practice, I'll master about 800 signs after completing all four courses. I know that's not a lot, but it's much more than I know right now. I'll finish each course in ten weeks or less. Therefore, I expect to complete all four courses before the end of next year. You are given 4 months to complete each course.

I have to say that watching Lydia Callis, here in New York with Mayor Bloomberg, rejuvenated my interest in ASL. This time...I intend to go the distance. :cheers:

Additionally, I've noticed that not all of the governmental leaders utilize ASL Signers. We had a disaster here in New York with Hurricane Sandy. It's unfathomable that there were no ASL Signers for the Governors of New York and New Jersey. That should change especially when lives are at stake. I'm proud of Mayor Bloomberg for including an ASL Signer. At least the Deaf community in New York City was informed about sorely needed assistance from the government.

I forgot to add that you receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of each course. This course counts as continuing education for nurses and perhaps others. You actually receive credits for continuing education. I just thought that you'd like to know.

check out these

[FONT=&quot]List of Free Online American Sign Language Training Programs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Learn American Sign Language (ASL) with these free [/FONT][FONT=&quot]online training[/FONT][FONT=&quot] programs. See the full list of free ASL training programs and find the program that's right for you.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Take Free Courses. Earn Real College Credit.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most free [/FONT][FONT=&quot]courses[/FONT][FONT=&quot] don't lead to college credit. Education-Portal.com's free courses do![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here's how it works: [/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Watch free video lessons.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pass an exam to earn real college credit.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Info on Free Online Training Programs in American Sign Language (ASL)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Free online ASL training [/FONT][FONT=&quot]programs[/FONT][FONT=&quot] are typically self-paced and don't result in course credit. Some organizations also provide supplementary materials to enhance learning, and many include videos that may require additional software, such as QuickTime. Free online ASL dictionaries are also acceptable resources for learning ASL. Although ASL dictionaries don't provide lesson plans or guided learning, students can still find videos or images demonstrating correct signing. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Free ASL Training Programs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ASL 1[/FONT][FONT=&quot] at ASL University[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ASL 1 is one of two free ASL courses offered online by ASL University. Courses are separated into six units that contain five lessons each and include quizzes, numbers practice and fingerspelling practice activities. Most lessons consist of objectives, vocabulary, practice sentences and stories for translation. Each lesson contains visual diagrams and instructor-led videos to show students acceptable signing. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ASL 2[/FONT][FONT=&quot] at Start ASL[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This course is the second in a series of three progressive ASL courses. Training includes fingerspelling, reading assignments, videos, conversion sentences and various tips for perfecting skills. These courses cover topics in numbers, grammar, vocabulary and comprehension. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ASL for the Deaf[/FONT][FONT=&quot] at Lesson Tutor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This ASL training program is offered in three series that consist of 12 lessons each. Along with an explanation article, each lesson also presents visual diagrams on proper ASL form. Worksheets are available to demonstrate training. Students can utilize Lesson Tutor's ASL dictionary to translate additional signs. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Classifiers in ASL[/FONT][FONT=&quot] at John A. Logan College[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This training is offered through 15 videos that require QuickTime and Flash players to operate. Each video is presented with a written description. These training videos show students how to present location, movement and appearance signs. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fingerspelling[/FONT][FONT=&quot] at John A. Logan College[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The fingerspelling program consists of 126 training videos. Students can also find word lists of the signed words used in each video. Students who feel confident in their training can participate in related personal tests. [/FONT]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bFoZTlvg9g&feature=list_other&playnext=1&list=SP5F823409AB4E4542"][FONT=&quot]Sign Language Lessons: Common Phrases[/FONT][/ame][FONT=&quot] at Expert Village[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The common phrases instruction is separated in 15 parts, and all training is offered through videos that are 2-3 minutes long. These videos teach students to emphasize sign images, body language and facial expression while signing. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Free ASL Dictionaries[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ASL Browser[/FONT][FONT=&quot] at Michigan State University[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Signing on this website is demonstrated through fingerspelling images for letters and short videos for words. Each video is supplemented by a written description explaining why certain signs are made. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ASL Dictionary[/FONT][FONT=&quot] at Handspeak[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Handspeak's ASL dictionary sorts common words alphabetically using videos to demonstrate signing. Each word is also offered with definitions, synonyms and related notes. Students can search English-to-ASL, ASL-to-English and ASL [/FONT][FONT=&quot]medical terms[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ASL Dictionary[/FONT][FONT=&quot] at SignLanguageStudent.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This ASL dictionary provides alphabetical categorization and visual aides to translate common words. After students become familiar with words covered in this dictionary, they can demonstrate their knowledge by deciphering fingerspelling videos found on the website. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sign Language Dictionary[/FONT][FONT=&quot] at Signing Savvy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Students can choose to browse signing categories according to letter, fingerspelling, numbers, colors, baby signs, animals and geography. Short videos demonstrate signs to help students learn proper hand and finger movements. For a fee, Signing Savvy also offers additional services, such as printable flash cards and mobile apps.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Earn Real Credit from Free Courses[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]While the free courses above don't award credit directly, you can earn credit by passing an exam and transferring credit to your college. There are two widely recognized and affordable options for [/FONT][FONT=&quot]exams that award credit.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Option #1: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]CLEP Exams[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The College Board's 33 CLEP exams allow you to test out of your general education requirements. Credit is accepted at 2/3 of colleges and universities in the U.S. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Option #2: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Excelsior College's[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Credit-by-Exam[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Excelsior College offers over 40 exams that lead to transferable credit. You can also earn three full degrees by taking free [/FONT][FONT=&quot]online courses[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and earning your credit by exam.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Learn how Education Portal Academy will pay you to earn credit![/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

also there is a site called start ASL where you can pay to learn or take free classes but you have to buy the books which I have but I am not sure if this site gives you a certificate.

Hellooo!

--

[FONT=&quot]List of Free Online American Sign Language Training Programs[/FONT]

...also there is a site called start ASL where you can pay to learn or take free classes but you have to buy the books which I have but I am not sure if this site gives you a certificate.
I don't think you've been properly introduced to this forum. Who are you?

Yes, please go to the Intro forum and introduce yourself to the site.

So I watched the video that is posted there with Melissa Schenk teaching sign. Is it just me, or is she not a really great teacher? Does it really help to have the signs repeated 10 times in a row? I have never ever been taught ASL in that manner. It has always been, show the sign, learn the right way to form it, then go on and use it in a simple phrase or something similar. I've never sat and just had it repeated to me. It makes me think of some classroom in the 50s where they try to teach kids a new language by having them learn how to say a word and the entire class parrots the word over and over and over and....

So I watched the video that is posted there with Melissa Schenk teaching sign. Is it just me, or is she not a really great teacher? Does it really help to have the signs repeated 10 times in a row? I have never ever been taught ASL in that manner. It has always been, show the sign, learn the right way to form it, then go on and use it in a simple phrase or something similar. I've never sat and just had it repeated to me. It makes me think of some classroom in the 50s where they try to teach kids a new language by having them learn how to say a word and the entire class parrots the word over and over and over and....
It's very English-centric and devised for hearing people. Very "teacher-y." I get a kick out of hearing people who are afraid to touch themselves when signing (PLEASE). :giggle: She also emphasizes that it's important to initialize some signs (LAZY and IDEA), and for some reason over enunciates the words like the student is learning sign and speech.

No, that's not the way my ASL classes were conducted. I realize that live, interactive classrooms are different from video lessons due to the restrictions of the medium.

Of course, a fair evaluation would include more than just that brief clip.

Reba - I'm trying to figure out who actually signs like that (Does anyone sign EASY like that?)

When I first saw that video some time before, I thought it had no resemblance to my classes with my Deaf teachers.

Back