ASL in children with residual hearing

I really wish that parents don't have to jump thru hoops to get what they want. Good luck, fhjmom.

I agree...it is the stupid LRE laws...

ok, I do NOT want to cause argument...

from my experience and in my opinion, I would consider looking into SEE. I do not think SEE is for everyone, but for your kids, it might be a good fit since they do have some hearing and language exposure. The signs will match what they do hear and see on the lips. Continue to expose them to ASL in social settings as much as possible and they can learn both at the same time. If you would like to chat via email, I am happy to do so. I have a fair amount of experience and lots of opinions, but no interest in trying to start arguments or force my opinions on others. Good Luck.

ok, I do NOT want to cause argument...

from my experience and in my opinion, I would consider looking into SEE. I do not think SEE is for everyone, but for your kids, it might be a good fit since they do have some hearing and language exposure. The signs will match what they do hear and see on the lips. Continue to expose them to ASL in social settings as much as possible and they can learn both at the same time. If you would like to chat via email, I am happy to do so. Good Luck.

Are u certified in language acquisition/development or in deaf education?

cuz u said from your experience and opinion..wondering if you formed your opinion from professional training in language development of deaf kids.

cuz u said from your experience and opinion..wondering if you formed your opinion from professional training in language development of deaf kids.

I did not say I was a professional. I am the parent of a deaf child, a certified interpreter in SEE and ASL, trained in Visual phonics, have studied linguistics and language acquisition in deaf children and work in education and with early intervention of deaf children. I have spent 8 years learning about deafness, language, etc.

No I am not a professional in language development per say, but I have spent considerable time learning and I have seen and been involved with many different situations and families. Which is why I said my 'opinon'.

I did not say I was a professional. I am the parent of a deaf child, a certified interpreter in SEE and ASL, trained in Visual phonics, have studied linguistics and language acquisition in deaf children and work in education and with early intervention of deaf children. I have spent 8 years learning about deafness, language, etc.

No I am not a professional in language development per say, but I have spent considerable time learning and I have seen and been involved with many different situations and families. Which is why I said my 'opinon'.

Wanted to make sure and that was the feeling I got when u said "opinion". Just wondering if there was another teacher for the deaf or someone who worked in the field of deaf ed here on AD. :)

Cool! :welcome: to AD!

So you are a TOD? That's great! I might have to ask you some questions sometime! :)

I do work closely with a TOD and am actually trying to decide about a TOD masters program right now. I am not sure if it's what I want... but I am considering it. :)

So you are a TOD? That's great! I might have to ask you some questions sometime! :)

I do work closely with a TOD and am actually trying to decide about a TOD masters program right now. I am not sure if it's what I want... but I am considering it. :)

Yeppers, I am a TOD..for 6 years now. :) Feel free to ask me any questions..I may not have all the answers as Deaf ed is one complex field of education! LOL!

I've spent over 20 years learning and studying linguistics, psychology and deaf education. I am licensed and certified. I, too am a parent of a deaf child. I am fluent in ASL, PSE, and SEE1 and SEE2.
I totally disagree with your recommendations, for various and sundry reasons.

That's fine if you disagree....

you might note my post said i suggest they 'look into it' and it 'might work' for them.

I personally think parents of deaf/hoh children should look extensively into all systems to make an educated choice for their family.

However, I would be interested in hearing your reasons why you disagree they should look into it.

AmyJ
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have very carefully researched and considered all the manual coding options, and I really feel like ASL (or at least as ASL-like as my English-thinking brain will allow) is the best fit for our family. Since one of my long-term goals is that my girls have access to the Deaf community if they so choose, then I feel like I would be doing them a disservice by teaching them anything else. I want them to have sign as a language.

Also, my daughter's current spoken English language is *excellent*, including vocabulary usage and sentence structure over a year ahead of her chonological age (yes, a severely HOH child that went unaided until one month before testing at age 4 and tested *ahead* of age appropriate levels). I don't think she needs sign to understand the English language word order, she doing fine with that. It's whole concepts that I think it would help with and that benefit comes from ASL as much if not more (I am thinking the signs for "car" in ASL vs. the initialized signs for all the different vehicles in SEE, car, truck, van, etc.) than it would with SEE. That is why I am having such a hard time convincing 'professionals' she needs any kind of support at all, she copes too well! She does have some delays in other areas, but since they average the scores, she comes out "age appropriate" even though there is as much as a 2 year gap between some of her language skills. I just wonder what she would be like without hearing loss! My (hearing) son was reading on a fifth grade level at the end of 1st grade, so I have no doubt her language skills would be way up there had she had the same access to language he did.

Thank for you again comments! I appreciate the insight! Glad you and shel90 connected too!

jillio, I would be curious as too your "various and sundry reasons" if you would be comfortable sharing. If you want to email me off the board, that would be fine. Thanks!

It sounds like you have done your homework, and that is the important part of making the right decision.

I would totally support you in your use of ASL. I will add that although my daughter uses SEE exclusively at home and in school, she is totally comfortable in the deaf community and code switches with ease from SEE to PSE and ASL. She has just picked them up naturally (envious!!) and it is so fun to watch her communicate with such ease. :)

Best of luck to you and I am always happy to chat with other parents or being a sounding board or whatever. :) Feel free to contact me any time.:wave:

AmyJ
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have very carefully researched and considered all the manual coding options, and I really feel like ASL (or at least as ASL-like as my English-thinking brain will allow) is the best fit for our family. Since one of my long-term goals is that my girls have access to the Deaf community if they so choose, then I feel like I would be doing them a disservice by teaching them anything else. I want them to have sign as a language.

Also, my daughter's current spoken English language is *excellent*, including vocabulary usage and sentence structure over a year ahead of her chonological age (yes, a severely HOH child that went unaided until one month before testing at age 4 and tested *ahead* of age appropriate levels). I don't think she needs sign to understand the English language word order, she doing fine with that. It's whole concepts that I think it would help with and that benefit comes from ASL as much if not more (I am thinking the signs for "car" in ASL vs. the initialized signs for all the different vehicles in SEE, car, truck, van, etc.) than it would with SEE. That is why I am having such a hard time convincing 'professionals' she needs any kind of support at all, she copes too well! She does have some delays in other areas, but since they average the scores, she comes out "age appropriate" even though there is as much as a 2 year gap between some of her language skills. I just wonder what she would be like without hearing loss! My (hearing) son was reading on a fifth grade level at the end of 1st grade, so I have no doubt her language skills would be way up there had she had the same access to language he did.

Thank for you again comments! I appreciate the insight! Glad you and shel90 connected too!

jillio, I would be curious as too your "various and sundry reasons" if you would be comfortable sharing. If you want to email me off the board, that would be fine. Thanks!

I'll email you on that because it can get lengthy.:giggle: But the short answer is that SEE is English in English syntax, and spoken languages are not syntactically suited for visual processing.

I hope you will email me as well, because I would really be interested. Thanks! :D

My daughter has always very naturally signed ASL, though my husband and I sign very CASE. She understands us easily, but she signs back in ASL. Her school uses ASL, as do all her friends, but she seemed to be doing that long before she entered school.

What kind of educational setting do you want your child in? I think that will affect which language/mode you use.

Miss Kat's Deaf journey

Back