asl help

Moonsaphires

Reaction score
hi everyone i am trying to learn asl. I am in asl 4 and having a heck of a time with my homework. Since ASL is not like spanish where I can type in the word i dont know. I cant find any help unless I ask a person, and i dont know any fluent ASL users. I am really excited to learn this language, but i am stuck. If i describe the handshape and placement would yall mind helping?

do you mean perhaps "JEALOUS" ?
Other signs that I can think on in that signing space are "ISRAEL", "SINGLE" (initialized with "i" version)

If you have a context for the sign that would help too.

P.S. do you have a webcam ?

Mod's Note:

Thread's moved to proper location.

Mod's Note:

Thread's moved to proper location.

I hope that's where I found it
25.gif

I am just learning ASL and so I am not much help, but there is a book I saw at Barnes & Noble that was a handsign dictionary. You could look up signs by the handshape. I just glanced at it so I am not sure how easy it is to use or how thorough it is, but I am wanting to purchase it myself. Fortunately, have pretty frequent access to a few certified interpreters, so I can usually get an answer pretty quickly when I have questions.

do you mean perhaps "JEALOUS" ?
Other signs that I can think on in that signing space are "ISRAEL", "SINGLE" (initialized with "i" version)

If you have a context for the sign that would help too.

P.S. do you have a webcam ?

ISRAEL is the sign for "I" motion from one side of the chin to the other side of the chin. SINGLE is the sign for Alphabet S like a fist which you can do the same for ISRAEL motion from one side of the chin to the other side of the chin. :cool2:

ISRAEL is the sign for "I" motion from one side of the chin to the other side of the chin. SINGLE is the sign for Alphabet S like a fist which you can do the same for ISRAEL motion from one side of the chin to the other side of the chin. :cool2:

Re ISRAEL - yup, I know that sign all too well , I'm a theology student :D so oddly enough for me, that sign comes up daily in my life ... since we weren't given if it was a single or dual location/touchpoint sign, or a frame of reference for context etc, so I just thought I'd mention it in case.

We have a regional variation here of "SINGLE" (meaning like a bachelor or "individual") which isn't made with a S handshape but a "I" which is very similar to ISRAEL, but tapped, not drawn downward when made ... so hey, I thought I'd toss that in just in case as well ;)

Ta

If you move the "i" motion like a J at the corner of the mouth that would indicate "JEALOUS".

That is the sign I learned for "juice". Is that a regional variation or was I taught wrong? Thanks!

That is the sign I learned for "juice". Is that a regional variation or was I taught wrong? Thanks!

All I can say is that's not even remotely similar to the sign for "juice" that I know.

Oh, I can also safely say that that is a very clear description of the sign for "jealous" that I know.

I just don't know if that's a different language from what I know.

I just typed a whole bunch of rambling off topic and deleted it.

an I at the corner of the mouth might be a name sign if you happened to be talking to Dr Evil

Back