Asl Glossing Help?

BriannaCleggett

Reaction score
I'm an ASL 1 student and I was just wondering if someone would be able to check over this glossing and explain to me what's right and what's wrong. You don't have to correct it for me, but I'd love more in depth explainations than what I've been getting. Thanks in advance!!

A happy childhood memory I have is being surprised with a trip to Disney world when I was seven years old. Happy childhood memory I have, surprise trip(travel? vacation?) D-I-S-N-E-Y-W-O-R-L-D. Me age 7.
My brother and I were told we were packing to visit our grandparents in MD, which wasn't unusual for the time of year. Parents told-finish brother, me packing to visit grandparents state MD. Time of year? Not unusual (strange?)
What was unusual was the car ride lasting 1 hour instead of 8 and arriving at the airport. Ride car 1 hour, strange-why? Go MD ride car 8 hours.End at airport-why?
That's when my parents let us know we were going to Disney World. Parents told-fini go D-I-S-N-E-Y-W-O-R-L-D.
I was so excited. Me very excited! (happy?)
Every kid wants to go to Disney world. Go D-I-S-N-E-Y-W-O-R-LD, all children want.
The plane ride lasted an hour and a half. 1 hour and a half, ride airplane.
When we landed, one of my father's company cars picked us up and took us to the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Plane land-finish, dad company car get in, go to(take-finish?) A-N-I-M-A-L-K-I-N-G-D-O-M-L-O-D-G-E.
There, we were greeted by my father's colleagues. Arrive, father's work friends greet us.
It was a business trip turned vacation for the Wachovia higher ups. Business trip change vacation for W-A-C-H-O-V-I-A executives.
The lodge we were all staying in was safari themed, and we lived amongst animals you'd see in the African savanna. Where we stay, theme safari. African animals all around.
We spent three days there, exploring all the parks and meeting all the different characters.
My favorite was Goofy. Me favourite G-O-O-F-Y.
When it was time to go, I wasn't sad at all because one of my biggest childhood dreams had come true. Time to go home, not sad-why? Biggest (big-finish?) dream growing up came true (happened?)

You should really introduce yourself before asking for help. Also, check out the rules at AD for asking for homework help.

Don't have time for all your homework.

Are you in Canada?

Why do you connect finger spelled phrases together as one word? Example:
A-N-I-M-A-L-K-I-N-G-D-O-M-L-O-D-G-E
instead of
A-N-I-M-A-L K-I-N-G-D-O-M L-O-D-G-E

Remember, it's not just about glossing. Don't forget the syntax and grammar need to change too. Sometimes the text needs to be rearranged to fit ASL form, such as chronology, inside-out, big-little, etc.

I apologise, I didn't even think about that. Thank you for calling it to my attention!

No, I'm in the US.

I connected the finger spelled words because on the handout I got in class, all the words were connected. I'm just trying work off of that, which was limited to simple phrases and yes/no questions. which is why I'm looking for a more in depth explanation. Just explanations because people doing work for me doesn't really teach me anything, and like you said no one has time for.

Thank you for commenting! You called quite a bit to my attention and I really appreciate it!!

I apologise, I didn't even think about that. Thank you for calling it to my attention!

No, I'm in the US.
You're welcome.

The reason I asked about Canada is because you use British spelling of words instead of American English.

I connected the finger spelled words because on the handout I got in class, all the words were connected. I'm just trying work off of that, which was limited to simple phrases and yes/no questions. which is why I'm looking for a more in depth explanation. Just explanations because people doing work for me doesn't really teach me anything, and like you said no one has time for.
That's a strange handout. I've never seen finger spelled words run together like that.

Where are you taking your ASL classes? Is your teacher hearing or Deaf?

Thank you for commenting! You called quite a bit to my attention and I really appreciate it!!
You're welcome.

Back