ASL for mild hearing loss?

WillsMom08

Reaction score
Does a child with mild loss have a right to get ASL training? If no should I get him started privately?

he is 9 struggling with no realizing he does not hear people correctly.

I am not sure how ASL or any Sign communication can assist with a "mild hearing loss".
If the other party knows/uses ASL et al than one can "understand what is being signed".It doesn't as such deal with "mild Hearing loss".
Does he use a Hearing Aid-now?

Good luck in getting a solution for you son.

aside: I am bilateral DEAF with a Cochlear Implant- 6 yeaars.

ASL has always shown to be beneficial for children who are deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing. My two hearing kids are fluent in ASL. They learned it since they were born.

Does a child with mild loss have a right to get ASL training? If no should I get him started privately?

he is 9 struggling with no realizing he does not hear people correctly.

Learning ASL is beneficial for all kids but realistically, a kid with mild hearing loss (PTA under 40db) who has appropriately fitting hearing aids should ABSOLUTELY be able to hear and understand all the sounds of speech.

Take your kid to a pediatric audiologist and maybe investigate therapies that focus on auditory comprehension.

If ASL is something you and your family are interested in, by all means, go for it. But don't throw out the hearing aids jut because your son is having trouble right now.

I think you are correct ecp. My immediate concern is that we have been on this road for 3 years. Clearly no solutions in sight. I know ASL will not help him tomorrow or in 2 years for that matter. I have to believe in high school and college it may be of assistance to him if this continues on the same path.

Additionally he always has felt so comfortable in the deaf community. He is willing to learn asl. I should have started him at the age of 3....

I think you are correct ecp. My immediate concern is that we have been on this road for 3 years. Clearly no solutions in sight. I know ASL will not help him tomorrow or in 2 years for that matter. I have to believe in high school and college it may be of assistance to him if this continues on the same path.

Additionally he always has felt so comfortable in the deaf community. He is willing to learn asl. I should have started him at the age of 3....

Don't beat yourself up.
I had used ASL interpreters in large graduate school classes and it was definitely helpful but I had to ask the interpreters to switch to a more English word order/sign exactly what the professor says because in advanced classes it is often confusing when the interpreter doesn't have any familiarly with advanced biochemistry and inadvertently changes word order.
Sometimes (ESP in science) the word order might seem messed up in a purely grammatical sense but it indicates which atom is attacking another.

Once I asked them to sign what the professors said exactly as it was said I found it very successful. I could integrate the little bits I heard with what the interpreter signed.

As for your son- maybe as a family you can learn ASL. That way your son isn't being singled out but don't ignore the hearing in him (which I doubt you would).

Nobody's saying "throw the hearing aids out with the bathwater"
Willsmom is doing what most parents of dhh kids should.......get HOH/oral deaf interventions but ALSO ASL.
One big argument is that he could have a progressive loss.....I know tons of raised HOH folks who are grateful they got HOH stuff....but they also wish they'd gotten ASL and Deaf ed too.......Also know of people with progressive losses who were HOH in childhood, and they say they were OK with the progression of the loss...they just wish they'd gotten ASL too.
My humble opinon.....Dhh kids should have the right to a full toolbox and the abilty to function both, WITH and WITHOUT hearing technologies.....
Also, in my humble opinon being raised with a cultural perspective is REALLY fun....AND helps a lot with social emotional development and self esteem and all those intaligables.....like with the oral deaf mentality it's a;; "oh just get the kid oral and they'll fit into the hearing world."....when in fact that oral deaf kids often say they don't feel like they fit into the hearing world and they often get made fun of b/c of their speech etc

Mild hearing loss

Your child can learn sign language and I think at this age there is absolutely no problem for your child to catch up the language. It will take 2 to 3 months for child to respond back to ASL. As you mentioned your child has mild hearing problem, so you can try out getting help from hearing aid services. A consultation with audiologist conducting evaluation tests and analyzing audibility of ear can suggest your child a hearing aid that fits your child's need. By fixing a hearing aid child can hear as normal children does.

".... can hear as normal children does. "
<end quote>

you HA shill?
why are you here? why are you to define what's "normal"?
why do you think w/HA hoh/deaf children hear like hearing kids?
because some other hearing people told you?

:iobarf:

Learning ASL is beneficial for all kids but realistically, a kid with mild hearing loss (PTA under 40db) who has appropriately fitting hearing aids should ABSOLUTELY be able to hear and understand all the sounds of speech.

Take your kid to a pediatric audiologist and maybe investigate therapies that focus on auditory comprehension.

If ASL is something you and your family are interested in, by all means, go for it. But don't throw out the hearing aids jut because your son is having trouble right now.

You do not know enough about the child to say they "should ABSOLUTELY be able to hear and understand all the sounds of speech."

It is my opinion that everyone in the US should learn ASL as a part of the regular curriculum in public schools. Persons who are deaf or HoH should not have to HOPE they can speak to and be understood, as well as be spoken to by anyone they encounter in public, at work or at school.

Who benefits from that? I'd say everyone.

But learning ASL would require them to pull their faces away from their iphones and ipads! Oh no! :eek:

It is my opinion that everyone in the US should learn ASL as a part of the regular curriculum in public schools. Persons who are deaf or HoH should not have to HOPE they can speak to and be understood, as well as be spoken to by anyone they encounter in public, at work or at school.

Who benefits from that? I'd say everyone.

But learning ASL would require them to pull their faces away from their iphones and ipads! Oh no! :eek:

Use those iPhones and iPads to teach it.

you would be putting more pressure on him at this point,i would talk to the school see if he can have assistent

Geez :roll:

I wonder though if could help the problem with ASL students always joining to get ASL buddies or simply make the problem grow...

:hmm: Could go either way I suppose.... Probably make the problem grow with our luck! :laugh2:

Back