Ask deaf people here

SpiceHD said:
i cant answer for other deafies... but i can answer your questions for myself.. the way i think was usually pictures in action... ya know? sometime i do think in signs but usually when i was daydreaming ... kinda like dreams... everyone was ableto understand each other whether if i sign and they spoke verbally... but i ALWAYS sign in dream never spoke verbally so its kinda comes to me naturally to think of things in signs while i dream... but when i was trying to figure things out or thinking really hard... i do have pictures of words itself kinda like reading a book.
Ethereal, my answer is same as what SpiceHD said. SpiceHD nailed it perfectly about what I want to say.

thanks SPICE and MAG you guys are great...
SPICE: haha. sub woofers!!! lmao. i am not deaf and music is loud as possible in my house 80% of the time. Try picking up a cd called "Work" from a band called Orbital and listen to "Frenetic" and "Bellfast" i think those songs you may like. I can feel the bass in my headphones against my ears with those songs.

THANKS! scrappykat... for the suggestion... i always like to try new music and songs :-D sometime this week ill be sure to go and pick that up

Liza said:
Since there was a thread about asking people with hearing, so why not there be a thread asking people with any degree of deafness?

Ask away. :D

I don't really have any questions, in particular. I just want to learn about deafness, Deaf culture, and signing. I'm learning to sign, and just want to meet people with experience with deafness.

How do deaf parents deal with their hearing children in regards to speaking and such? Do you put them in daycare or preschool or how would you encourage them to talk?

"I know that previously in deaf culture and sometimes still today it was today acceptable for a deafie to enter another deafies house, without knocking, and then like wait in the kitchen, family room, etc. for the family to show up. Is that still true today? If in general it is true, how does it change with hearies? Is it considered culturally appropriate for a hearie to do this? "
I'm a hearing person, and I only do this with family and close friends. In some places, if I just walked in to someone else's house, I might get seriously hurt. I didn't know that was acceptable in deaf culture. That's interesting! By the way, hope you had a great birthday!

stallions_girl said:
"I know that previously in deaf culture and sometimes still today it was today acceptable for a deafie to enter another deafies house, without knocking, and then like wait in the kitchen, family room, etc. for the family to show up. Is that still true today? If in general it is true, how does it change with hearies? Is it considered culturally appropriate for a hearie to do this? "

Not really culturally appropriate. Some people just don't take the privacy of a person's house in consideration. Perhaps it's a good thing I keep my front door locked.

I'm a hearing person, and I only do this with family and close friends. In some places, if I just walked in to someone else's house, I might get seriously hurt. I didn't know that was acceptable in deaf culture. That's interesting! By the way, hope you had a great birthday!

Actually, I know some Deaf people who would be offended if somebody walked into the house without knocking. Mainly because some of them already have a system that will alert them when somebody is at the door.

Personally, I'll be offended if one walk into my house without knocking. What if I was changing clothes? Sheesh.

Banjo said:
...I know some Deaf people who would be offended if somebody walked into the house without knocking. Mainly because some of them already have a system that will alert them when somebody is at the door.

Personally, I'll be offended if one walk into my house without knocking. What if I was changing clothes? Sheesh.

The reason I asked the question came from the fact that many deaf people now have the light-flashing doorbells, etc. when in the past there wasn't that technology. I also know that the way people were raised, the area, and the general attitudes of the people in the house being entered.
The first time I really heard about entering the house w/out knocking etc, in any kind of detail was from 5th generation deaf man. People raised in hearing families and/or without an understanding of deaf culture and customs might have different feelings.
By the way, the rule with entering was that you didn't enter any bedroom, bathroom, or any room with a closed door. People were not that rude!

signer16 said:
The reason I asked the question came from the fact that many deaf people now have the light-flashing doorbells, etc. when in the past there wasn't that technology. I also know that the way people were raised, the area, and the general attitudes of the people in the house being entered.
The first time I really heard about entering the house w/out knocking etc, in any kind of detail was from 5th generation deaf man. People raised in hearing families and/or without an understanding of deaf culture and customs might have different feelings.
By the way, the rule with entering was that you didn't enter any bedroom, bathroom, or any room with a closed door. People were not that rude!

exactly... one of my deaf friend doesnt have doorbell and sometime her father (who is hearing) is not there to hear it so i enter and wait in kitchen always someone who will come down and saw me.. if they are not home they always lock the door.. so if its locked then i d know they are not home and i would return to my place... i used to live only one block away and i used to visit her daily :) however... now that i have been away for more than 2 years... im not sure if i would enter her house ... probably wont... i most likely would try to get anybody attention through windows if they are there, or make one of their dog bark.

Malfoyish said:
LOL...I think she wants questions. Lesseee...

So, Liza...how does it make you feel when you have someone "try" to help you but the "help" is unnecessary and in some ways, insulting? For example...went to the store today - they single-bagged a lot of my canned goods, and the bag broke while being transferred into a shopping cart. I asked the woman for another bag. The cashier said to her, "You have to listen to her..." (this particular cashier knows me since I go to that store often.) Then when the transaction was over and she was handing me my change...she said, "Have....a....good....day." UGH.

By the way, I'm deaf, too...I do have the CI, so I'll say I have selective hearing at times. ;)
Some people can be so IGNORANT. I am taking a class in Sign Language. I hadn't realized there was a Deaf culture. I am a hearing person and I tend to take my hearing for granted I guess. I didn't realize all the hell the Deaf go through. My mom's hard of hearing in one ear, so I have a "taste" of what it's like, but not the whole thing. We were never taught ASL growing up, as she could speak and hear, although I think it would have benefitted the whole family because we would often have to repeat things to her.
I have learned a lot in the past 11 weeks (this is the last week) but I might take another advanced course in Sign. Who knows?

I don't believe it is the norm in deaf culture for one to saunter into just anyone's abode. And the advent and commonality of the flashing doorbells you mentioned makes it all the more reason for most of us to knock, errr, press the button that activates the doorbell flasher. Those of us who DO what your'e suggesting is part of the deaf culture do so for reasons no different than the reasons hearing people do this.

Tousi said:
I don't believe it is the norm in deaf culture for one to saunter into just anyone's abode. And the advent and commonality of the flashing doorbells you mentioned makes it all the more reason for most of us to knock, errr, press the button that activates the doorbell flasher.
Hehe, yeah, "knock" was meant more as a figure of speech than an actuality, although if someone has a cat or dog, or some special technology, knocking could work.

Tousi said:
Those of us who DO what your'e suggesting is part of the deaf culture do so for reasons no different than the reasons hearing people do this.
Well, I was just posting about this because although, according to all my teachers it has been the dorm, no one really says if it includes now. The bad part of ASL not having tenses, well, having tenses by a time set once, is that sometimes you can slip in information without a tense. Sometimes no time is set, and in ASL you can get away with that, but in English you must hear it over and over again. One of my teachers says that it still happens at his house now, and it is the current deaf culture, but he is 5th generation deaf and I'm not sure that all deafies feel that way- as no other teachers have really brought it up.
Thanks for the replies!

Well, I don't know about deaf people entering other people's houses without knocking, but I have problems with deaf people showing up at my house UNANNOUNCED! Why won't they warn me in advance?

Ethereal said:
How do deaf parents deal with their hearing children in regards to speaking and such? Do you put them in daycare or preschool or how would you encourage them to talk?

I have two hearing daughters - they had bunch of friends on my street while growing up, so there was no problem for them to pick up speaking / listening skills. They had some help at school with speech, but it's not any different for other hearing kids even with hearing parents, especially today with both parents working full time.

They turned out great - both of my daughters have been on debate team in High School and did quite well. My oldest daughter will be graduating this June and has been accepted at Ball State University with Presidental scholarship.

Swede said:
I have two hearing daughters - they had bunch of friends on my street while growing up, so there was no problem for them to pick up speaking / listening skills. They had some help at school with speech, but it's not any different for other hearing kids even with hearing parents, especially today with both parents working full time.

They turned out great - both of my daughters have been on debate team in High School and did quite well. My oldest daughter will be graduating this June and has been accepted at Ball State University with Presidental scholarship.
Thank you for explaining that. :)

first a question, and then an explaination why some hearing people act the way they do....

when interacting with people in a setting where the majority of people are deaf, i was told pretty much the same social do's and don'ts apply as when i'm in an all queer setting. when i'm in an all gay group, wether friends or aquaintances, we hug and kiss all the time, and it usually does not matter how well you know the person. often not doing so comes off as stand-offish. a few weeks ago, i was in a group that was all deaf, and a guy i have seen around and talked to briefly from time to time came up to say a quick hello. he leaned over me without hugging me, so i thought he was going to kiss me on the cheek and so i kissed him on the cheek....but he didn't.

....anyhow, as for the explaination part.....
hearing people really do mean well. but most of them don't encounter more than a handful of deaf people in their lifetimes. so when they do, they usually act weird. many of them do not do so because they truely look down on deaf people. many of them become nervious because they don't want to offend, but don't know exactly how not to, so they revert back to what their hearing culture has taught them.... what they end up with only shows that it should be the deaf teaching the hearing about deafness, not other hearies, perhaps the exception being CODAS.

as for the thing with dividing up the syllables in a word/sentence and saying them back slowly and louder, they really do think that helps, but at least for me it's more difficult to understand, or i get bored and zone out or forget it before the end of the sentance. but if they've heard you talk before they usually get the point if you exagerate it a bit more and do what they did....i do that sometimes...they feel embaressed for a second when they realize how daft they must have seemed, but they usually get the point and never do it again.

Swede said:

Hold a minute. I would like to ask you bit more.

Do you have parents & in-laws who support your children with speech development?

Sure, it is not always work on the children who pick speech skills when they play with other children because other children might use the children of deaf parents´s speech skill.

I´m mother of 2 hearing boys. We have no parents who support my children with speech development because my parents are in England. We only have my hubby´s mother who love to have my oldest son and chat with him more. Accord the law, the children of deaf parents MUST go to childminder to learn their speech development during earlier age but we have MIL around. Unfortunalately, MIL died when my 2nd son was 7 months old. My 2nd son went to childminder for speech development for 3 hours a day when he was 1 year old until he´s 3 years old then go to daycare......

I rather to have my children to learn their speech development thru adult than learn from other children. IMO.

hiii everyone :)

well ... i'm a new member in this website :) and i just want to have some experiences from you and help me in my study :) i'm a student who is studying in speech-language and hearing therapy in saudia arabia :) and really i want from u :) to help if u don't mind and i'll appriciate that from u :)

what i really want is i want to know the feelings of deaf people i just want to sense their life and to try live their world so if anyone can help me and tell me how is feelings and express their emtions and how they r dealing in thier life i'l be thankful :) and plz don't misunderstand me because i really respect and appreciat u and i beileve that if I sensed and tried to feel what u r really fealing maybe i can do my best to be a good therapist in my life and try to give my best to help the others in their communicative life :)

thnx for your time :)

Sometimes when people start talking to me like in the elevator or something like that, I tell him/ her "I'm deaf but I can read your lips so please repeat and speak slowly". The person will just say "I'm soooooooo soooorrrrrrrrryyyyyyy!" and just shut up. I hate it when that happens. I feel like asking that person "why are you sorry? I'm not sorry that I'm deaf, in fact, I love it :)" lol

Back