as a naturally curious person..

Alohilani54

Reaction score
i've had a lot of random questions that have been floating around and i couldn't figure out any other way on how to ask other than here!

so if anyone knows or has an idea on how to answer my questions that'd be awesome!

1-- when a hearing person is having a brain surgery, they normally require them to be talking so that they know they aren't hitting anywhere that will mess them up (by listening to the slurring of the words or if they suddenly can't remember what they were doing. obviously that would mean to the surgens that something's wrong). that being said, what do they do for a deaf person?

2-- once a deaf person is out of college or high school and ready to look for a job, how hard is it (on a scale of 1 to 10...). and what typically happens? (ooh! or perhaps your own story?)

3-- how much fun is it really to just close your eyes or take out your hearing aids to people? (my friend does this to me all the time and he claims its the funniest thing and i think he's exaggerating)

lol i told you they're kinda random.. however i'm quite the curious person and these things are going to stay in my head until they're resolved

:D

Did you find us from Facebook?

Are you extremely uninhibited even in person?

Do people often call you tactless?

These questions need answered for me, and you are the one to do it.

Did you find us from Facebook?

Are you extremely uninhibited even in person?

Do people often call you tactless?

These questions need answered for me, and you are the one to do it.

lol no i didnt find you from facebook
and i suppose i am uninhibited in the sense that i like to question everything and look at things from all perspectives
and i didnt mean to come off as tactless obviously for asking silly questions

see, i'm just a really curious open person (or as you'd say. extremely uninhibited - a word that is quickly becoming my favorite) and i apologize since it seems to have come off as cross

Last edited:
The brain surgery is a good question and one I have never thought of. I would be interested to see the answer to that one.

I never had a hard time finding a job cuz I am in the field of Deaf Education.

Even before that, I always got most of the jobs I interviewed for before getting my Master's.

I dont do the hearing aid at people cuz I think it is rude and immature. If I want them to leave me alone or I need my space, I just tell them and if they cant stop, then they will get a lashing from me.

The brain surgery is a good question and one I have never thought of. I would be interested to see the answer to that one.

I never had a hard time finding a job cuz I am in the field of Deaf Education.

Even before that, I always got most of the jobs I interviewed for before getting my Master's.

I dont do the hearing aid at people cuz I think it is rude and immature. If I want them to leave me alone or I need my space, I just tell them and if they cant stop, then they will get a lashing from me.

ooh thank you very much for answering my questions despite how ridiculous they sound lol

#2 I can asnwer this for you -- but in a long way, should be interesting..

Here I go..

AS far as everyone knows that I am deaf in Australia.... I started to find my first job in my area, it was difficult -- out of the scale of 10, I'd say 4 out of 10 at the time, when I was searching, because I believe that some people would look at the resume and notice that it is a deaf person, they would just crunch the paper and chuck it in the bin.... wrong move, son.

I got my first job after three attempts and two interviews at McDonald's. I knew that the lady who interviewed me didnt want to have a deaf person but with the helo of these job solve agents I have, I landed in a casual job position at McDonald's with a different person, which is a different McDonald's -- I started as a cleaner there then it moved up with chips and burgers over time, I have been working for them for nearly 3 years, and the lady who interveiwed me got promoted as a supervisor at my work, and was surprised that I could work there, as I proved her wrong... I could do any thing -- except hear, the other staff were trained to tap on my shoulder if they need my attention, they have had no problems with me, but we have gone through small troubles but was easily solved.

But after 3 years working there, I finally retired after being employed in a big department in the australian government, which is a big step for me, and it was an excellent opportunity. How?

How did I find this job? I didn't even ask Job Solve agent to help me look for a job, I spent THREE whole weeks searching for a job and I ended up landing on this one. Two years later, I am still there... and I am pretty happy with it. :D

The best and easy way for the people looking to hire staff, is to look at their skills on their resume, not to focus if the person is not deaf or whatever.. it is not important nowadays, but I understand it is a bit difficult to accept them, but skills and knowledge is important -- they can prove them wrong that deafness wouldn't affect them depends on the field of the job. easy to get a better job is to start with a low income casual job such as McDonald's to start with.

Hope this answers your question!

By the way, Welcome to alldeaf.com! :lol:

I am glad you answered my questions in the spirit they were given, and I also say :welcome:

I don't know why you are curious on asking the questions which is kind of way out of this world. Anyway, I will answer #1 question.

I have never have brain surgery but I do have surgery on my stomach. If the hearing person had brain surgery, sometime a person can stay awake during the surgery and listen to the doctors talking while doing the surgery. But if happen to lose hearing, then it is too late to have someone to interpret the ASL, then it will have to be written down for communication.

Funny for me as a Deaf person in the surgery, the surgeon told me to leave my hearing aid on and my glasses off. I was puzzled by that remark. So I leave my hearing aid on during the surgery but I was light out and into the darkness not hearing anything they say at all. I had a very serious problem breathing which I did not know until someone told me that I had complications in the surgery room. When I woke up in the hospital room and I was still wearing my hearing aid on. I have never experience wearing my hearing aid during the operation and in the hospital room before. I always took my hearing aid off to sleep in bed, same goes with my eyeglasses too. I don't know why he wanted me to keep my hearing aid on, for cry out loud. They are just devices to use when needed. Not to wear them while sleeping. I did not have an ASL interpreter in the surgery. They either try to talk to me or write down if I don't understand what they say.

#3 question.

It depended on the Deaf or Hard of Hearing person who just want to shut out from hearing person or people by closing the eyes or take the hearing aid out. A Deaf person get angry or upset with the hearing person and refuse not to listen to what he/she say.
I have ignore my husband when he was insulting me or saying things that I don't want to hear what he had to say to me, so I just turn away from him or shut my eyes. As for the hearing aid, I just want to have peace and quiet without all the noise going on.
If you think your friend is having fun by closing the eyes or taking the hearing aids off to people, then it is not funny at all. :hmm:

Actually, only a few select procedures require the patient to be awake during brain surgery. For the vast majority of surgeries, patients are completely unconscious.

A terp would be used, and they would be on the opposite side of the drape so that they would not be seeing the actual surgery.

I've had brain surgery, when I was still hearing, but I was unconscious anyway. I think procedures like that are very rare.

My first job was at an A&W fast food restaurant kind of like JClarke. I had only applied to 3 other jobs before in my life - an art store (which I later discovered doesn't hire high school aged people so I didn't get an interview), another art supply store (he didn't really interview me, just talked a lot...), and a grocery store (interviewer was a HUGE mumbler, couldn't understand anything). When I was interviewed for A&W I didn't even need to ask for repeats. For me it depended a lot on the manager's willingness or ability to speak clearly. That's how easy it is to/not get a job. I'm oral, though, and wear a hearing aid/CI. I'm still in university, so I can't really answer about getting a job after that.

I only turn off my hearing aids if noise is really annoying me. When someone's talking and I don't want to hear what they have to say, I usually ignore it while keeping my HA on. But if it's NOISE and it's painful to listen to, I switch off. I don't do that often at ALL, but the last time I did that was yesterday in a 4-hour car ride. My kid sibling and cousins were screaming in the back seat of the car and wouldn't stop. My dad, who was driving, was getting a headache, so I offered to switch places with him and drive the rest of the way, with my hearing aid and CI turned off. I sometimes feel sorry for bus drivers and the like who don't have that luxury :D

I remember one of deaf student at deaf school had a brain tumor so he had to have an operation to remove the tumor.

I am not sure what they did to make sure they aren't poke in the wrong place. I think something to do with flash cards. Like he have to sign what he is seeing on the card. Dunno. If you asked me this years ago, I would have asked around to see what they did or at least remember their conversations, lol.

After the operation, they made him do the algebra formula (he was smart) to see if he was okay. I think he had a bit of, really tiny memory loss (anything that's not really important) but was still able to lead a normal life I think.

As for #3 I don't really wear hearing aids so. But as for shutting my eyes, that's something I don't like to do. I also don't like to turn my back toward people even if we are arguing, that's just an immature behavior in my opinion. Hard I know but...XD

#2, I guess it depends what field you are going for.

I was at community college today and before I head out for the day, an loud alarm rang out, and it turned out someone was trying to steal the computer, all labs are rigged to wire to track if someone was trying to steal --- that alarm was so loud and since you're deaf, but you can feel the ear drums hurling. >.<

I am curious as to what inspired your question about the brain surgery. I will assume you know everything that occurs in the occasional cases of an Awake Craniotomy with Mapping. If not I will elaborate on request.

A deaf patient would easily be able to communicate exactly what a neurosurgeon would be looking for while mapping the surface of the brain with electric probes. Yes, an terp would be useful and it is easy to place them in situation where they have no view of operative site. A lot of time a patient would hand gesture signal a physician if feel changes due to the electrical stimulation during the mapping session. In other cases a terp would be needed to ascertain patients orientation status if particular region of brain was being mapped for reason. If this cause confusion, I am sorry. If you want further elaboration on this type of proceedure I will elaborate further, but Im just under assumption you just wanted to know diff between what a hearie would do or a deafie would be able to do in this situation.

FYI- for those who do not already know about this cool fact. There are no pain receptors in the brain, so with local anesthetic to obtain access to the surface of the brain, this is actually a painless proceedure!

FYI- for those who do not already know about this cool fact. There are no pain receptors in the brain, so with local anesthetic to obtain access to the surface of the brain, this is actually a painless proceedure!

That is what puzzle me about why people stay awake during the brain surgery like possibly CI. Now that you mentioned that the brain with the help of local anesthetic is actually painless and can be awake during the surgery. I have watched some shows that shows patients who were going through brain surgery. Thank you for telling me about why people stay awake during brain surgery. Never thought about that before. It is cool. :cool:

Back